Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, today, instead of trying to put halos in my headlights, i got the idea of putting some white LEDs there. Looks pretty good IMO.

TOOLS NEEDED:

Flat head screw driver
Philips head screw driver
Drill
Dremel (optional)
Automotive wire (optional, only use if not splicing into the running light or low beam)
Solder (optional)
Soldering iron (optional)
Heat shrink (optional)
Toggle switch with terminals
Inline fuse (optional)

PROCEDURE:

1. Remove the upper fairing. If you do not know how to do this, do NOT bother attempting this mod.

2) Remove headlight assembly from upper front fairing as directed in your service manual. Keep bolt locations straight and set dash cover brackets aside.

3) Separate the headlight cover from headlight assembly, i followed this process:

- Preheat oven to 250 degrees
- Place headlight assembly in oven for ~5 min. (Recommended you place assembly on tray/foil to avoid melting/burning from direct heat)
- Remove assembly with oven mitts
- Pry back clips enough to clear, plastic should be soft enough not to crack
- Use flat head screwdriver or other tool to slowly pry apart the clear headlight cover from the mounting assembly. Take your time, it is hard to get started, but gets easier as they come apart. Be careful not to let the melted adhesive get on the clear healight covers. Depending on how long it takes, you may have to put it back into the oven for a minute to soften the second one.

4) Remove the inner headlight trim, via the 3 Philips head screws (shown in the picture.)

5) Place the LED strip inside the headlight housing (shown in picture) and replace the inner headlight trim (removed in step 4.)

6) Drill a small hole wherever you see fit, and feed the LED wires through. I drilled a hole near the front on the inside.

)

7) Place the headlight lens back onto the assembly, and place back in the over to loosen the glue. I placed it inside the oven for about 3 mins. Then push the lens back on so the clips connect again.

8) Reassemble the upper fairing.

9) Disconnect the negative battery cable. Grab your automotive wire if you're wiring to a switch and connect some wire to the positive terminal of the battery. Run that wire to the in-line fuse (use solder and heat shrink to join, or just use wire nuts), and then continue to the power terminal of the switch (sorry for no pictures of this, will update next time I take the bike apart)

10) Next, connect the positive wires of the LED strips to the "LOAD" terminal of the switch. Usually in the middle of the switch.

11) Grab some more wire, and run the negative wires of the LED strips to a ground, or the negative battery terminal.

12) Remove the terminals from the switch. Grab your dremel and cut a spot for the switch to be placed into the inner fairing. Place the switch into the hole you made and reconnect the power wires.

13) Power on your lights and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
thought you were selling this pig?? lol looks great!!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
nicely done...

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
11,985 Posts
pretty sick dude. good thing you skipped out on our ride so you could put lights on your bike

i hate you :plain:

·
Registered
11,985 Posts
but still, very well done.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pretty sick dude. good thing you skipped out on our ride so you could put lights on your bike

i hate you :plain:
woulda come, but i dropped my phone 20 mins from you guys, and lost the address :doh :coocoo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts