Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My vortex sprocket and speedohealer came in today!

What tools will I need ahead of time if I do it myself? Any hints/tips? or should I have a shop do it? I am pretty mechanically inclined. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
450 Posts
An impact wrench is gonna come in handy for the counter sprocket...sometimes they come from the factory w/some serious godzilla on em....

**EDIT**

Guess I should have asked if you were replacing the counter sprocket before I go spouting off...

The rear sprocket is a no brainer...

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am changing the front sprocket. I have not changed a front sprocket before. Do they press back on or do you just torque them down?

·
Registered
450 Posts
^^^the locking washer thingy will be bent up against the the nut to hold it in place. Gently tap it down and away from the nut w/a hammer and punch until it's flat. Remove counter sprocket(as i mentioned sometimes they are ridiculously tight). Install new counter sprocket and torque to spec. Gently re-bend locking washer thingy as you originally found it. Done...

One thing to be aware of is that the smaller sprocket will change your current chain tension setting. Re-set it to give you 1.2"-1.5" play while you or somebody who weighs about as much as you is sitting on the bike

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any guess how much time I should set aside for this swap? Also a guess on the socket size I will need for the nut? Thanks again bro!

·
Registered
450 Posts
It takes me about an hour. But I suck...bad.

Somebody who knows wtf can bang it out in 15min. As for the socket size...I'm sorry but I don't remember.

·
Registered
99 Posts
IMPACT WRENCH..... don't waste your time trying to use a breaker bar! i helped my dad try to change his front sprocket on his 97 zx6e and it was ridiculous. with an impact wrench took all of 10 seconds to ding it off.... it is soooooo worth the 100 some-odd bucks we spent cause it'll be used again.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I think the setup is the same as on my TL and that takes me about 15 minutes total, but about 10-13 minutes of that is pulling out and putting away the tools. As was said, just one big nut to undo. Loosen the nut (I always use an impact gun), loosen the chain, slide the sprocket off, slide the new on on, re-install the nut, re-tighten the chain and your done!

IIRC my bike takes a 32mm socket, dunno of the six is the same though:O

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so I don't need to break the chain? I was wondering if I could just slide the wheel forward and do it that way instead.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Do not do it with the bike in gear as you can damage the tranny.

Have someone sit on the bike in neutral and hold their foot on the rear brake instead.

Like said above and good impact wrench will spin it right off.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I just do it on a rear stand in neutral, the wheel wont spin with an impact gun, but yeah, defo don't do it in gear!

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
i def wouldn't try to break the nut a loose while the bike is in gear, if u do u are going to bend your shift forks and chew up your gears, trust me put the bike in gear and get your self a impact gun, makes it a breeze when doing this mod

1 - 13 of 13 Posts