Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

So i tend to work on my bike on my own. This past weekend i installed a K&N filter and a power commander V for my 2013 zx6r.... Bike sounds great, i also dropped the CAT while i was there :) I need to get it tuned, but im having no such luck with a company or two.... they must not want the business?

My question is, what is the 1st step (and probably all the steps after that) to tune it myself. Laptop & USB in hand, i've got to download a map? did the power commander come with software? (ill have to dig up the box).

Anywho - i would just rather try to do this on my own. Nothing makes me crazy like other people working on my bike for me, so i figure its worth a shot. Any help would be greatllllly appreciated.

Yoshimura slip on, pinebox design cat delete pipe, k&n filter...what else?

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
First you will need the Autotune attachment by Dynojet to tune it yourself. Also you will not get accurate readings unless you use block off plates or kleen air mod. Finally the CAT is in the base of the header, sounds like you only eliminated the pre-chamber. I'm sure you can find more info about this on here as this topic has been discussed once or twice already....

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Welcome, Babygotbraap.....

Pretty quick the kids will clue into your gender, LOL.

Glad to hear there's a lady motorhead around. there's a few on the board, most have been pretty quiet of late.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Hi Everyone!

So i tend to work on my bike on my own. This past weekend i installed a K&N filter and a power commander V for my 2013 zx6r.... Bike sounds great, i also dropped the CAT while i was there :) I need to get it tuned, but im having no such luck with a company or two.... they must not want the business?

My question is, what is the 1st step (and probably all the steps after that) to tune it myself. Laptop & USB in hand, i've got to download a map? did the power commander come with software? (ill have to dig up the box).

Anywho - i would just rather try to do this on my own. Nothing makes me crazy like other people working on my bike for me, so i figure its worth a shot. Any help would be greatllllly appreciated.

Yoshimura slip on, pinebox design cat delete pipe, k&n filter...what else?
Without a dyno and a gas analyzer you would simply be guessing..... or at a minimum you need a portable gas analyzer you can read while riding and tons of time and experience to learn how one change effects others

Sure you can simply upload and load in a map that someone else posted somewhere........ It certainly doesn't mean it is going to work or be correct for your bike.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Welcome, Babygotbraap.....

Pretty quick the kids will clue into your gender, LOL.

Glad to hear there's a lady motorhead around. there's a few on the board, most have been pretty quiet of late.
well the "add an inch" boots
"long hair"

those weren't exactly subtle comments to figure this out....

No doubt the leg humpers will be along shortly

·
Registered
577 Posts
+1^^^^ to rivers answer. you can datalog and shoot for afr readings with an 02 sensor and datalogger (dynojet has one called the pod). but, if you don't know what you are doing, you are just throwing darts at a map. get the bikes ecu flashed to remove all restrictions from the epa, close off the clean air system (critical for a good tune). and find a REPUTABLE DYNO TUNER , in your area. it will prevent loads of frustration. Ski

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Just have the bike properly tuned for your setup and save yourself the headache, there are people that have been doing it for years and are good at it, you likely won't get as good of a result and will end up spending too much money on things needed. All they do is stick a sniffer up the bikes ass and do a few runs on the dyno, nothing wrong with having a professional tuner work on the bike.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
get the bikes ecu flashed to remove all restrictions from the epa, close off the clean air system (critical for a good tune). and find a REPUTABLE DYNO TUNER , in your area. it will prevent loads of frustration. Ski
This... is your answer to get the best possible results, in the least amount of time, spending the least amount of cash.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
just go get it tuned before you blow your motor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts