Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Weird, first thing I did when I bought my new ZX10 is fill it with Synthetic. But I don't break them in anyway, I just run it hard from the start, right to the race track. No problem. :)

thats what they are built to do! when breaking it in do it in the way that you are going to drive or ride it.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
Once the red light on my dash comes on indicating it is oil change time. Well then I change it

fucking dumb ass oil threads, tire threads, and every other stupid question asked daily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So about these break-in recommendations?!

I am reading several people saying to rev to this rpm, then that one. No in this gear!!! This is my first new bike but I am following the manual which says to stay under 4000 rpm the first 600 miles. Then 6000 rpm the next 400 miles after. The dealer told me to shift gears alot. At 4000 rpm I am in 6th gear going 45 mph. Plenty of gear shifting just riding around town. I only have 350 miles right now on my 2015 636. I am keeping her under 4000 rpm.

If there is a reason for winding her up so early, please let me know! I want to break her in right!:coocoo

Attachments

·
Registered
12,910 Posts
I am reading several people saying to rev to this rpm, then that one. No in this gear!!! This is my first new bike but I am following the manual which says to stay under 4000 rpm the first 600 miles. Then 6000 rpm the next 400 miles after. The dealer told me to shift gears alot. At 4000 rpm I am in 6th gear going 45 mph. Plenty of gear shifting just riding around town. I only have 350 miles right now on my 2015 636. I am keeping her under 4000 rpm.

If there is a reason for winding her up so early, please let me know! I want to break her in right!:coocoo
You are asking a serious question that is often thrashed, on MC forums. There is no right answer to this question.

FWIW, I am a proponent of seating the rings. Vary the RPM constantly.... do not stay at any specific RPM any longer than you need to.

As you have already completed some number of hours engine time, it's realistically too late to accomplish much in this regard.... your bike is fine, and will last a long time regardless.

·
Registered
631 Posts
If you follow the owner's manual to the letter, it will absolutely 100% not be your fault if something breaks.
What's best for the bike, what'll make it run better... that's all opinion, it seems

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you guys

Today I took her through the mountains from Santa Cruz, down Skyline, to a Redwood City. Did my first Oil change and what a difference. I rode with my boy, taking her up to 8 - 10,000 rpm. Felt great to finally see some of what she has to offer. Not just a scooter with 6 gears. She seems fine. I took her for quite the ride today and she only running better with the new oil. I got the Motul 5100 syn blend and after 1000 miles I'll switch to 300v Ester racing full syn and use the 300v primarily 7
reminds me a lot of my 05 636 in over all feel of the characteristics. :devious

·
Registered
130 Posts
Oh yeh, and after 50 miles you will need to dump the oil and change the filter. Then change the oil and filter again at 500 miles.
Jj after the 500mile oil change you mentioned what frequency do you change your oil/filter, every how many miles?

Thx

61 - 68 of 68 Posts