Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm reading my manual right, it says after the first servie (had that done a while ago) change at 7,000 miles OR 1 year whatever comes first. It's been 1 yr and I'm now at 6,000 miles. I know on a car you change ever 3,000 miles... what so different on a bike? Or am I reading this wayy wrong?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
i dunno... im gonna change mine every 2 or 3k no matter what the book says lol
gonna probbly do 3 changes regular then go to synthetic

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the difference?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Synthetic is not good while breaking in an engine, you want it fully broken in before running synthetic.

I do my oil every 3000km and filter & oil every 6000km (~ 1800 & 3700 miles) for no reason other than it makes me sleep better.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
i do the oil and filter every 4000 cos its my daily transport

·
Registered
117 Posts
Steve is right, the engine will not break in with Synthetic. As far as when to switch to Synthetic is up for debate. Some engine builders say 1000 miles while others swear 3000 miles. For me I change the oil and filter every 1000 miles. I waited until 5000 miles before switching to Synthetic.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Maybe I should clarify "break-in". For a brand new motorcycle the following is recommended by most engine builders;
1) Start the bike and let it warm up.
2) Shut off the engine and let it cool to ambient temperature.
3) Start the bike and let it warm up
4) Find a place where the RPM's can be safely varied, away from heavy traffic. Remember the break-in isn't necessairly about how many miles, but most people agree the first 40 miles of a bike does 80% of the break in.
5) Start by running the rpms up to 7000 and then engine break back to 5000. You should always track the time spent at the higher rpms and spend the same amount of time between 4000 and 5000 for the engine to cool back down
6) Next run it up to 9000 rpms, again let the engine break it back down to 5000.
7) Next run it up to 10000 rpms, repeating the above.
8) Continue with the running up of rpms until you reach redline, for most bikes is 16,000 rpm.
Afterwards your bike is properly broke in. Continue to vary the RPMs never holding the same rpms for very long until 500 miles is reached.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oh yeh, and after 50 miles you will need to dump the oil and change the filter. Then change the oil and filter again at 500 miles.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I can't say when i change my oil, i do it after 2 trackdays cos it's usually full of shit after that. So probably <1000 miles but thats hard riding. I just looked at my owners manuel and thats says every 7500 miles :coocoo, fuck that :D

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
yeah cant do synthtic too soon.. thats why im doing 3 changes with regular first... syntetic is too slippery to break the engine in... dosent let the engine heat up enough and wear in what ever isnt perfect yet.

probbly gonna get my first done at 500 then again at 1500 and then again at 3 and then from there im gonna change it like every 2,000 miles (filter too... they are not that expensive to skip changes)

as for breaking a bike in.. you hear a million different ways
but from what i understand the first 20 miles are the most important.

Start your bike the first time... let it warm... then let it cool... then start it again.. warm it to about 140 and then go ride...
this is what i did

i should of found something better than my neighborhood but i had no plates lol

i rode pretty quick the whole time.. in first gear i went to 5k... shifted... then i brought it to around 6 in second... but by then i had to stop lol
so then i kept going through first and second and sometimes 3rd if i could... raising 1000 rpm pretty much every run till i got to 12,000
i am waiting till the first oil change to do any rev's higher than about 12 or 13k. But i put my first 25 miles on my bike that first day like that... any time i rode it after that i was on the highway so i just worked hard to never sit at the same rpm for more than like 30 seconds... always shifting and just running the bike between 40-90mph on the freeway lol
kinda sucked to just slam the brakes and then speed away.. im sure all the cars on the highway were like wtf?!?

i got about 350 on the bike now... been just riding her normal(you know... a brisk pace but keeping safe and following the laws the best i can) I always acelerate hard and i open it up and power shift when i get to the roads where my girlfriend lives... thats when i experienced some nice head shake and scared myself lol

but your gonna hear 10000 different ways to break your bike in... this is just my way of doing it

on another note... i have been told if you follow the manufactures rules you will have an engine that will dyno with less power and feel weaker compared to someone who broke thier bike in like i said or jjcaine said. His way is fine imo but i just wouldnt red line it till the oil was changed.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
yyou rather pay for a filter and a few quarts of oil or an engine rebuild?

if you ride hard i would change it more often kahearn... at least change the oil and do the filter ever other.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
i can tell u this if u run regular convential oil change it at 3000 miles regular commuting but if u run synthetic u can go longer i run synthetic myself and i go 5000 miles and i street ride and dragrace, just use a good quality oil and u should be fine

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
i doubt anyone on this fourm uses thier bike for 'regular commuiting'

so pretty much everyone should be changing thier oil sooner than the 3k lol
im gonna do the conventional oil change ever like 1500 and when i go to synthtic ill probbly change it every 2-2500 miles

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
yyou rather pay for a filter and a few quarts of oil or an engine rebuild?
please dont treat me like a dumbass. i'm very aware of the consequences of running oil too long in an engine.

if you ride hard i would change it more often kahearn... at least change the oil and do the filter ever other.
3k is a reasonable interval, given my riding. yes, i ride very hard when it is appropriate.

i doubt anyone on this fourm uses thier bike for 'regular commuiting'
i take mine to work every day it isnt raining. with gas prices sucking, the bike saves me lots of $$$. Plus riding is great, even if i'm not riding hard.

so pretty much everyone should be changing thier oil sooner than the 3k lol
im gonna do the conventional oil change ever like 1500 and when i go to synthtic ill probbly change it every 2-2500 miles
if you ride your bike a lot to get seat time, without going to the twisties, just for normal riding, i doubt you'll stay with those intervals. you'll find it isnt necessary. seriously, that is a very short interval, and if you use high quality synthetic oil (like the stuff i use) it will be expensive. i'm all for saving my engine, but i'm not for being overprotective of it and wasting money. time to get on that thing and prove me wrong about your intervals changing though!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
who said you were a dumb ass?

and all i am tryin to get across is everyone here actully rides thier bikes for the most part... if you ride it like its made to be ridden you are not a regular commuter.. even if you do ride it to work every day ect. Im just saying i know how i ride and i dotn ride like a normal person getting from point a to point b and back to point a...

i doubt you ride your bike like a grandma... therefore IMO (which is all my posts have been) you should probbly be changing your oil sooner... especially if you use regular oil

hey its your investment.. do what you want. I was never telling you that your wrong or are not doing something right... you can change your oil ever other year and only shift at the red line in every gear for all i care if thats what you want. And anyways if you read everything i said... its always 'IF it was MY bike'... so anyways I dont know what your problem is and why you have to challenge every little thing I said.

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
And anyways if you read everything i said... its always 'IF it was MY bike'... so anyways I dont know what your problem is and why you have to challenge every little thing I said.
im not challenging every little thing you've said. i dont think you're an idiot either. dont get me wrong. i do find it ....interesting... that you have advice to give on tons of things when you're experience comes down to "in the future when i ________"
i'm not saying your opinion is invalid because you dont have certain experiences, but i dont think you should hold it so highly.

other than that, i enjoy your posts. there's my opinion, with no bs...

·
Registered
243 Posts
If I'm reading my manual right, it says after the first servie (had that done a while ago) change at 7,000 miles OR 1 year whatever comes first. It's been 1 yr and I'm now at 6,000 miles. I know on a car you change ever 3,000 miles... what so different on a bike? Or am I reading this wayy wrong?
without reading all the posts, i'll put in my two cents. First, you won't damage your bike by changing more often. Think of it as cheap insurance; how much does an oil change cost, maybe $15 or so. 7000mi is for "normal" driving, which most people do not fall into that category. Although the oil may not get "dirty" even with alot of short, cold trips, it's the blow-by that raises the acid level of the oil that will do damage over time. As for synthetic or non, 10w40 or other, they all work as long as you keep up on regular maintenance. I do prefer Mobile 1 0w40(not 10w40), given the lower torque numbers of 600cc machines, clutch slippage has never been an issue. To be honest, the only time I've noticed a "difference" is not from using either one type or another, but rather changing from dirty oil to clean. la la la, anyways

1 - 20 of 68 Posts