Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I laid my bike down last week and I am wondering how much you guys think the repairs would be?
I will be taking it to a shop on April 21st for an estimate.

Here are some pictures.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
HI,,, March fuse box question and still NO I'm new to the forum.

Guess we get to see the bike damaged is better than not at all.

Go to parts unlimited. About the best prices you will find.
Total up the new prices and go from there.

Real good chance a little patience you can get used, have it wrapped or painted and still be ahead. Looking at the other post, seems you have an 05 so I doubt you can get new parts in the correct color.

Not knowing your experience, training might be better off just covering it up for now and ride.

·
Registered
14,395 Posts
Is there an insurance company involved?

What year is it?

What shape was it in, before you dropped it?

How do you want it to look when it's repaired?

Do you have a place you could work on it yourself?

Is the damage all cosmetic? Anything leaking?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HI,,, March fuse box question and still NO I'm new to the forum.

Guess we get to see the bike damaged is better than not at all.

Go to parts unlimited. About the best prices you will find.
Total up the new prices and go from there.

Real good chance a little patience you can get used, have it wrapped or painted and still be ahead. Looking at the other post, seems you have an 05 so I doubt you can get new parts in the correct color.

Not knowing your experience, training might be better off just covering it up for now and ride.

@Indy - I'll definitely check that site out. Thank you.
Yes you are correct, I have an 05.
I've only been riding for 2 months.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there an insurance company involved?

What year is it?

What shape was it in, before you dropped it?

How do you want it to look when it's repaired?

Do you have a place you could work on it yourself?

Is the damage all cosmetic? Anything leaking?

@RJ2112 - Yes my insurance company is involved.

Its a 2005.

Before I dropped it everything seemed fine, except the rear brakes weren't working.

I just want it to be safe to operate. I'm cheap and use plasti-dip over any scratches.

I don't have a place I can work on it.

I do believe that it is all cosmetic, but I still want it to be looked at to ensure there isn't anything that is unsafe, I don't have any experience working on bikes.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
I can't tell for certain via your pics;
But if the frame is scratched up and you are involving insurance it will most certainly be totalled.

The cost of those cosmetically damaged parts plus the frame and to replace said parts.

if you are hoping to keep the bike and an untainted title plus the statement you just wish to do some cover up cosmetically and make sure it is safe.....
Then you really are better off to not even involve insurance at all and just pay a couple hundred bucks for some good mechainc to look it over and fix the brakes and make sure it is in fact safe and rideable... then do whatever you choose to as far as cosmetics.

make sure to check the wheels for true, the rotors for flatness, the forks for straightness and alignment- including the axle as well
then look at the steering stops, make sure that left engine cover is not cracked and the charging system is still functioning as it should.... Also that the handlebars are bent and/or have any hairline cracks
Obviously fix the brakes, then it is just making sure the cosmetics are all okay to stay on and not interfere with anything and safely secured.....

On the other end of the spectrum is make the claim and buy it back with a tainted title.......

You may well net several hundred dollars and be able to fix it without spending any of your own cash even taking it to someone else to do the safety check inspection of all the vitals and getting the brakes fixed....
your rates may suffer going this route and in the long term it may cost you more?

Of course I have no idea your financial situation nor your ultimate goals, and even less so of your insurance predicament and driving record......

make an educated decision though, then do what is best for you.............and don't blindly follow the sheep because it is easy

Reactions: darkorbit94

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't tell for certain via your pics;
But if the frame is scratched up and you are involving insurance it will most certainly be totalled.

The cost of those cosmetically damaged parts plus the frame and to replace said parts.

if you are hoping to keep the bike and an untainted title plus the statement you just wish to do some cover up cosmetically and make sure it is safe.....
Then you really are better off to not even involve insurance at all and just pay a couple hundred bucks for some good mechainc to look it over and fix the brakes and make sure it is in fact safe and rideable... then do whatever you choose to as far as cosmetics.

make sure to check the wheels for true, the rotors for flatness, the forks for straightness and alignment- including the axle as well
then look at the steering stops, make sure that left engine cover is not cracked and the charging system is still functioning as it should.... Also that the handlebars are bent and/or have any hairline cracks
Obviously fix the brakes, then it is just making sure the cosmetics are all okay to stay on and not interfere with anything and safely secured.....

On the other end of the spectrum is make the claim and buy it back with a tainted title.......

You may well net several hundred dollars and be able to fix it without spending any of your own cash even taking it to someone else to do the safety check inspection of all the vitals and getting the brakes fixed....
your rates may suffer going this route and in the long term it may cost you more?

Of course I have no idea your financial situation nor your ultimate goals, and even less so of your insurance predicament and driving record......

make an educated decision though, then do what is best for you.............and don't blindly follow the sheep because it is easy

@riverszzr - Thank you for this information. You answered a lot of questions I had in the back of my mind. I believe I'll take it to the shop to get an estimate on the cost, then ask how much it would be to just make it "safe to drive", ignoring cosmetic damages.

Ill deal with an ugly bike for a while as long as its safe for riding. I'll eventually get it fix.

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
Why would u get insurance involved on a 2005 bike that u just laid down yourself? All youre doing is raising your future insurance costs.

Anyway, It does look like its all cosmetic. Either get replacement parts off ebay, or sand down the scratches and spray paint it.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
From the new information gleaned (couple months riding) and not knowing where you live. (that new to the forum bit helps)
Might check in with a good local track day group. Everyone I've been involved with has been very willing to help and most would know if the bike is safe to ride.
Spend some major time doing track days.

In a controlled safe environment with known road conditions, those hard items removed in most cases along the track, NO distracted drivers, everyone going the same direction and most importantly coaches to help you learn how to manage your machine. While it's not a big bore bike it does have some serious power and speed.
Knowing to to maneuver and stop safely can save your tail. Lastly, they will force you into some gear that will give up it's layers of skin and not you.
Lastly, it's a freaking blast with no tickets.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why would u get insurance involved on a 2005 bike that u just laid down yourself? All youre doing is raising your future insurance costs.

Anyway, It does look like its all cosmetic. Either get replacement parts off ebay, or sand down the scratches and spray paint it.

It was my first accident ever, I just kind of assumed I had to get insurance involved.
Ill get an estimate on how much it costs to fix, fix only the important things that are needed to ride safely, then do body work myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From the new information gleaned (couple months riding) and not knowing where you live. (that new to the forum bit helps)
Might check in with a good local track day group. Everyone I've been involved with has been very willing to help and most would know if the bike is safe to ride.
Spend some major time doing track days.

In a controlled safe environment with known road conditions, those hard items removed in most cases along the track, NO distracted drivers, everyone going the same direction and most importantly coaches to help you learn how to manage your machine. While it's not a big bore bike it does have some serious power and speed.
Knowing to to maneuver and stop safely can save your tail. Lastly, they will force you into some gear that will give up it's layers of skin and not you.
Lastly, it's a freaking blast with no tickets.
Thank you, I'll look for people that go to tracks.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Once you find them,, go with them.

It will do your riding some good (helped mine a lot after 30 years) plus you will have a LOT of fun. Promise.

Good place to check out is the Sport bike track time forum. Mostly midwest and south USA.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts