Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious really......
How many fingers do you use when braking?
I personally only use 2 when braking hard and just 1 when i want to scrub just a few mph. I know i'm in a minority of people that actually use the back brake too! I use it to steady her when rolling back on the power exiting corners. A trick i learned from my 2 stroke days (aah, the smell of a 2 stroke........:hail) and still useful, perhaps even more so, on my 636. I also use my back brake more when in traffic and towns to control the front diving.
I'm pretty hard on my front brakes when out for a play so look after them well, even using my back to let the fronts cool again when i can!

So people, how do you brake then? :O

·
Registered
450 Posts
One...unless I'm avoiding an oh shit moment...then two.

Of course, the brembo radial master, steel lines, and fancy brake pads help out quite a bit...

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Two on the front brake. Do you do the back brake dragging thing too Lee? I was taught to do that to steady and 'lengthen' the bike out of corners by my instructor. It's stuck with me although I get frowned at every group ride I go on. I honestly think it helps even though my brake pads don't appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
i usually use 1 finger on the front and i often use my back

·
Registered
956 Posts
2 on the front and (one toe on the rear)

Actually I only use the back when parked at a stop light! I learned to race back in the day when Keith code taught you to never use the rear break.
"Twist of the wrist"

I did start to use the rear during racing in some hard straight breaking points but never really got used to trailing it in.

I'm not pro and don't ever intend on being pro so I would be OK with just removing the rear break all together..

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm not pro and don't ever intend on being pro so I would be OK with just removing the rear break all together..
Negative ghost rider. That rear brake comes in mighty handy if you ever find yourself doing a little dirt farming. In fact, there are some Cali tracks (WSIR comes to mind) where not having a rear brake can seriously increase the odds of never seeing one's friends and loved ones again.

I know that sounds harsh, and I'm truly not trying to be a dick, but thems the facts. I've ended several guy's track day's before they even got started due to lack of rear brake at WSIR. Yeah, they were pissed alright, but If I saved even one of em from a fate like Chris Mcauley's a couple months back then it's worth it...

·
Registered
956 Posts
I would never actually remove my rear break. that was said in jest! there are some times when I do use it probably more then I realize because I probably do it second nature because I do need to change the pads.

I should take a racing class again to learn to handle newer bikes. It's only been 10 years. I'd love to learn to trail break better.

Yeah I can see why at WSIR yould want ot learn the back break... I'v never been on that track (just the streets) but I can see why, now that you bring that up.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Aww heck man...just sign up w/one of your local track day orgs.

ZoomZoom and Keigwin are excellent orgs and, like TrackDaz, offer very good instruction free of charge to those who ask.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use all fingers on the front and yes I use the rear a little. I have had brake fade when racing and having fingers between lever and throttle reduces the amount of lever travel available. On the rear I have a valve spring on the master cylinder for more feel (pressure back onto the foot).

·
Registered
116 Posts
full fist on the front...

I tend to settle the bike with a touch of rear brake then add the front.....

Hey Quarkz, I do back brake dragging and you won't get frowned at if you come on a group ride with me.....it's a good and safe practice in my book!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
2 on the front. (Index and middle for me, I know some use middle and ring fingers :crazy) And I've always got the front brake covered - contrary to teaching practices.

I use the rear too, but generally not for slowing down.

I went to a lot of trouble to improve the lever and braking on my old TL. I bought some new gloves with carbon knuckle protectors in them and promptly ran off at Honda hairpin at Phillip Island when I pulled the lever back into the knuckles of the fingers I left on the bar. :banghead I wanted a lever that was set close to the bar (easier to cover), but offered full braking before coming back into my now higher knuckles.

I made this image up a while ago - I zoomed in on all the track day pics I could see the front brake lever in. Always covered :dowhat

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use 2 fingers with the front break when i ride in the city and road, full fist on tracks and rearely use the rear break (i think never...)

75% of the power needed to stop the bike comes from the front break, the rest can be from your engine. i don't recomend to use the rear break if you don't know how to do it.....

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, more response than i thought i'd get on this thread, thanks people!
Alot more back brake users than i bargained for too.
A few who use the "whole fist" method of front braking too. I'm NOT going to disagree on that one coz a certain Mr Rossi does this too! I haven't used that method since i got rid of my RD350 which just had the most wooden brakes ever.
I also find just using two fingers, first and middle fingers, gives me more flex in my wrist to 'blip' throttle on downchanges too.
On the occasions when i only use 1 finger, just my first finger is enough for serious stopping power. Aren't modern radial brakes ace?!??!?!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Freah outta direct access course and taught med/hard breading on front is only in town and under 15mph.

You back brake for dragging and adjusting speed before cornors use 75%back 25% front, never more to avoid front wheel slide.

And also taught use all 4fingers, ill need to try using one or two.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
1 or 2 fingers and the rear brake when i run of the track it helps a ton. i have the brembo master, lines and stuff just need to get pads but i havnt done any trail braking

1 - 20 of 25 Posts