Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started riding street for the first time on April 10 and since then I've rode about 600 miles total. I've always rode dirt so learning was very easy for me especially after I learned how to lean and counter steer correctly. I feel extremely comfortable on the bike now but I told myself I wouldn't even attempt a stunt (not even a quick pop up wheelie) until after riding for a year. My bike is my baby.

My question for you kind folks is how long did you wait after getting your FIRST street bike before attempting your first stunt even a simple one, and how did it turn out for you?

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
I started riding street for the first time on April 10 and since then I've rode about 600 miles total. I've always rode dirt so learning was very easy for me especially after I learned how to lean and counter steer correctly. I feel extremely comfortable on the bike now but I told myself I wouldn't even attempt a stunt (not even a quick pop up wheelie) until after riding for a year. My bike is my baby.

My question for you kind folks is how long did you wait after getting your FIRST street bike before attempting your first stunt even a simple one, and how did it turn out for you?
2 years and counting.

Actually that's a lie, I popped a sweet wheelie on accident when my clutch went out.

I don't think there's a time that's too early if you take it slow, aren't an idiot and are willing to deal with the fact that you're gonna drop your bike at some point. Oh and you are in a closed area and not doing it on the road.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I've probably attempted to wheelie under 10 times in my life. Done a few small ones under power at the track, but I'm under the impression that's not what your talking about

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I will ever be a "stunt rider" it's just not my style I like cornering and being smooth/flow and plus it's so hard on the bikes, but I would like to have that one trick (clutch wheelie) under my belt one day.

But like I said I don't even want to start thinking about that for about another year or so.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
I'd take it real easy and get several thousand miles under my belt before trying. You feel comfortable now but trust me in a year the bike will feel like an extension of yourself. Keep practicing your regular riding and cornering and get to where youre able to ride the bike in pretty much any circumstance and then add some fancy stuff.

Fundamentals > tricks every time.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Only done a couple on accident when accelerating hard. Definitely never going to attempt anything on my current bike - I just love her too much. I do think stunting is kinda cool tho and would love to pick up some used (maybe previously abused) bike and have it around for track days and to learn to wheelie a bit :O

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd take it real easy and get several thousand miles under my belt before trying. You feel comfortable now but trust me in a year the bike will feel like an extension of yourself. Keep practicing your regular riding and cornering and get to where youre able to ride the bike in pretty much any circumstance and then add some fancy stuff.

Fundamentals > tricks every time.
I completely agree with everything you said here.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Only done a couple on accident when accelerating hard. Definitely never going to attempt anything on my current bike - I just love her too much. I do think stunting is kinda cool tho and would love to pick up some used (maybe previously abused) bike and have it around for track days and to learn to wheelie a bit :O
Kind of where I am. If I stumble onto a deal I can't pass up I'll pick up a beater bike to ruin.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
4 years and counting. Have no intentions of attempting it anytime soon either

Reactions: Burnt toast

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Technically I have about 5 months on my clock, probably less than 600 miles (don't really count). Tried some 2nd gear clutch ups the other day on a far out back road, and I gotta say, it's an awesome ass feeling when you get it over a foot off the ground. It's pretty hard to do on my bike since it IS 17 years old, but it's pretty fun. Thing is, I fear how loud my exhaust is so I do a few and then run along to another stretch so nobody calls the cops :laugh

·
Registered
117 Posts
1 week ... I did an accidental endo! Landed safely too.
But otherwise 1 year. My 2nd year riding I began doing clutch wheelies. I had to cease and desist though because my bike's forks were weakened considerably. Not worth it imo.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts