Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've been asking a ton of questions on the same valve adjustment. I'm having a really weird issue.

After completing a valve adjustment and reinstalling the camshafts according to the manual with the "IN" and "EX" marks facing outwards (first picture), my sprocket TDC marks will be in position for the piston #1 compression stroke (top of second picture in yellow) yet my tappet/lobe positions will be in position for TDC of the piston #4 compression stroke (bottom of second picture in yellow), or vice versa (second picture in red). It's opposite of what it should be. I don't know how to make sense of the this. I haven't taken the sprockets off the camshafts at all.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10101182359080184&set=pcb.1184495621882251&type=3&ifg=1&__tn__=HH-R&eid=ARB9xeUxW49bEc36Qt4ziOkGRvGkk7l8Z_6pPo3eN45xftgzTBQymsjgkB7gtcDnJPYcpm2azTwZ4JrR

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you checked to make sure you didn't mix up the exhaust/intake shafts? Both sprockets have "in"/"ex" markings. Also, you're using the markings that are on the outside of the sprocket as well? My 07-08 has markings on both the inside and outside, but you line up the outside markings to make sure its timed correctly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was sure not to mix up the intake/exhaust camshafts and the sprockets do have "in"/"ex" markings on the outside.

I really believe that somehow, although the bike was running fine before, the camshafts and the sprockets are 180 degrees off. I can't explain this any other way but I might be wrong.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Part of me is thinking it doesn't matter. As long as the TDC marks are level, and the sensors are able to cause spark plug firings on the compression strokes on each piston, the the relationship between the camshaft and shouldn't matter. Seems like more of a guide for the person doing the adjustment, but not necessary for the healthy functioning of the bike.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I know I've been asking a ton of questions on the same valve adjustment. I'm having a really weird issue.

After completing a valve adjustment and reinstalling the camshafts according to the manual with the "IN" and "EX" marks facing outwards (first picture), my sprocket TDC marks will be in position for the piston #1 compression stroke (top of second picture in yellow) yet my tappet/lobe positions will be in position for TDC of the piston #4 compression stroke (bottom of second picture in yellow), or vice versa (second picture in red). It's opposite of what it should be. I don't know how to make sense of the this. I haven't taken the sprockets off the camshafts at all.

Curtis Collazo

i had same kind of question in this thread

IMO manual is wrong

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This answers everything. I honestly thought I was losing my mind and I cursed like a sailor for a good half-hour about this. I've heard someone else say taht valve adjustments for the 05 are a pain. I guess this is why- the freaking manual is wrong. So, if I set the camshafts with <- IN, EX -> and crank at TDC 1/4 I should be good no matter what? You said your bike started fine after doing this?

Thank you!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Seems like it would be simple but ......... had a similar situation on my 2012 CBR600RR and I had the cams out and the sprockets off. It took a long time checking and rechecking and figuring and was confusing as heck. It had funky markings that were not straightforward. Got it back together and it ran, ran very well! That was a great sound to hear it fire the first time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Seems like it would be simple but ......... had a similar situation on my 2012 CBR600RR and I had the cams out and the sprockets off. It took a long time checking and rechecking and figuring and was confusing as heck. It had funky markings that were not straightforward. Got it back together and it ran, ran very well! That was a great sound to hear it fire the first time.
That must have been a great relief when you heard that sound. I hope I get the same result. I called around to a bunch of mechanics shops to ask whether this was common. One guy said he's seen it a lot in ZX6R around this year. Others said they've never seen it. So confusing. I'm not really sure how to proceed at this point. The timing is 100% right in terms of the crank and camsprockets, it's just 180 degrees off in terms of the manual and cam lobes. Many have said you can't really be 180 off so it doesn't matter. I don't know what to think anymore. How did you proceed, if I may ask?

I can't imagine starting up the engine and hearing the bad news.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My cams were 180 degrees off after a valve check before I bought the engine from another country (06 zx6r). Luckily my valves did not hit the pistons, but it ran really weird. Took some time for my mechanic to figure that one out.
The bike started, but was harder to start, and ramped up in rpms to about 5k at "idle" and was hard to ramp higher.
My cams were white marked the wrong way around in relation to the manual (IN/EX instead of EX/IN) . When I put them back in now the other way around as the manual stated the bike worked beautifully.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have just done valve check on Zx6r 2000 and here in/out was in accordance with your manual. I also recall it as I could measure valve opening on valve 4 at these conditions and not valve 1. Everything worked fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have just done valve check on Zx6r 2000 and here in/out was in accordance with your manual. I also recall it as I could measure valve opening on valve 4 at these conditions and not valve 1. Everything worked fine.
When you had <- IN EX-> on the camshaft sprockets, the tappets were in position for measuring valve clearances for piston 4 and not piston 1?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts