Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name's Cam I just recently got my first zx6. It's a 2004 and had been long used and abused. Kinda in the middle of resurrecting it.
Anyway, I would have thrown this into the forum into section. However I'm an awful person and use forums for tech help when I can't figure things out for myself.

Anyway, so my concern is; the clutch on my 636. It feels excessively heavy, to the point where I went for a 7 hour (total) ride 2 weekends ago and my wrist still hurts because of it (haven't ridden since)

I'm using good oil, it had rotella t4 in it before. Didn't help
Took the cable out, cleaned and lubricated it properly (it was lubed with antiseize before) Made it smoother but no lighter
Disassembled the lever (also lubed with antiseize, apparently the previous owner loved it) and properly lubed that. Made it less noisy but no lighter
Figured the clutch springs are probably shot from clutch-ups so I replaced them with EBC springs, and that didn't help either.

HOWEVER! since I had the clutch springs out I checked the basket and the plates have huge burn marks on them. Would that contribute to the clutch being heavy?
The plates and friction discs are now being replaced regardless. Just wondering what else could be the problem.

The cable seems to have some kinks in it being 17 years old now, the lever on the basket seems fine, and the throwout rod is mint.

If this IS how the clutch is supposed to be, is there any way I can lighten it up?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Disconnect the cable from the lever and make sure the lever is free and not binding on the pin. Check cable routing and you can lube the cable as an alternative to replacing (cable lube or WD-40) clutch should be relatively easy to pull frequently

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Disconnect the cable from the lever and make sure the lever is free and not binding on the pin. Check cable routing and you can lube the cable as an alternative to replacing (cable lube or WD-40) clutch should be relatively easy to pull frequently
Thanks, seems like there's some kind of a bigger problem then. The cable moves freely and easily, up until the actuation point of the clutch.
Can't even move the actuator with my hand past the actuation point. ie; no clutch cable installed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts