Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,504 Posts
#noobquestion

But how do you do it?

would save time when going up the gears.

Does it fuck the bike up?
While noob clutchless_shift=0;

If noob don't worry about the split second it takes to pull the clutch.

Doing it wrong WILL fuck up the bike.

as for how do you do it:
apply pressure to the shift lever,
either blip throttle until the shift lever moves (for downshift)
or drop throttle until the lever moves (for upshift)
alternativly going up you can just hold throttle and man handle it into gear, but that would prolly fuck up the tranny.

It requires very good timing to not cause damage...

or just get a quick shifter installed and clutchless upshift all day, however see note above about not doing this as a noob.

ey3

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Clutchless upshifts, if done properly, will not damage the transmission. I dont really recommend it on downshifts, however, especially if you cant rev match adequately, as you will cause premature wear of the dogs/slots.

Its very simple to clutchless upshift, especially if you have gp shift pattern. Load pedal, blip throttle slightly. The release of drive load, though briefly, frees the tranny to make the change. Its a timing thing more than anything, and if done properly, the slightest blip can accomplish the shift. Consider that most quick shifters will have ig/fuel cut times of between 50 and 100 milliseconds. Can you move your arm that fast?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
We have to teach our 8yr old how to shift his XR50. it has no clutch but 3 gears.

Very simple idea. Need to unload the transmission so you can move the gears between each other.

just like you'd fold your hands for a prayer (with fingers straight up) and not twist one hand [A].
Fingers are locked into each other. The moment you stop applying the rotating pressure to hand A you can remove Hand B.

Same with the throttle. stop applying load/power and you can slot in the next gear.
if your timing is off the gear won't fully engage or you get the gears stuck. at that point you can only save it with the clutch pulled in and trying to shift up or down, which ever way it lets you. Other way of the tranny telling you that you messed up is with a loud clunk.

Don't try clutchless downshifts as it will be too hard on your parts and friction plates when having to spin at a higher RPM without the clutch easing it into.

·
Registered
422 Posts
While in noob status i would not try it but.....

Its basically the same as shifting with the clutch.... just without the clutch :).

You just get off the throttle like you normally would when shifting then move to the next gear. You'll know if you did it correctly if the shift is smooth. Timing is it, it should happen quickly.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Mine seems to work without the rev matching

Reactions: Lee76

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Reactions: redsmartie

·
Registered
169 Posts
With my 08 I have a slipper clutch so it's really easy and feels as smooth as using the clutch as long as it's timed appropriately. But essentially I'll get my foot under the shifter and just put some pressure on it, not forcing the change but "pre-loading" it. Than back all the way off throttle and blip it back on. In between the off and on, apply the full load to the shifter and you'll feel it kind of vaccuum suck the gear in as youre going back onto the gas. It's purty cool =D If you wanna practice I would say go from 2nd-->3rd-->4th. 1st to second is a bit abrupt usually..doesn't feel as nice for me yet

·
Registered
38 Posts
Clutchless upshifting is not hard at all and will not damage the bike when done properly. (I wouldn't try clutchless downshifting, more harm than good will come from that.) Once you get used to it it'll be second nature. It doesn't work too well when you're just peddling around town though, I only clutchless upshift when I'm really goosing it and I'm at or near peak power.

When you're hard on the throttle:
1) Apply some pressure to the shifter a few moments before you plan to upshift
2) Once you reach redline or whatever point you want to shift at, roll off the throttle quickly (should be a quick flick of the wrist) and give the shifter an extra nudge.
3) As you feel it going into gear, roll back on the throttle

This is all a very quick process, but it sounds harder than it looks. It'll be pretty intuitive with some practice. It's essentially the same series of steps as normal upshifts but, well, without the clutch and it's done much faster. You don't need to roll off the throttle much at all. Just a quick chop will be enough to deload the transmission and when you do it right it slips into gear smooth as butter, feels ohsogood when you get the timing right. You'll know you did it right when you can barely feel the gear change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P5lk426tOQ

·
Registered
888 Posts
Speed shifting or "clutchless-shifting" is stoopid simple.

Just get into the upper rev range and start pressing your toe upward on the clutch pedal. It'll eventually slide into next gear.

That's it. But it's not worth trying if you haven't gotten standard shifting down pat and feel comfortable riding fast.

·
Registered
888 Posts
BTW, a more beneficial technique to learn is rev-matching while downshifting.

If you don't know what that is, then you're probably not ready for clutchless upshifting.

·
Registered
517 Posts
why do people preload the shifter? this is what causes wear and tear on the shift forks and dogs. just time it right. as soon as you let off the gas bump the shifter. i use reverse shift, so i push down. no preloading, just hit the shifter as i let off the throttle, then back on the throttle.

downshifting without the clutch is doable as well. just blip the gas as you downshift. although, i always use the clutch downshifting, and revmatch. slipper clutch plays no part in up/downshifting and if you need to use the clutch or not. its just there to keep the rear wheel from locking up and spitting you off if you really botch a downshift. but dont rely on it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't see why preloading would wear the dogs prematurely, you're only supposed to apply enough pressure to take the slack out of the linkage so when the trans deloads it slips into gear. You shouldn't be preloading with the same kind of force that you would use to shift, and it's supposed to be momentary. I always found my shifts to be smoother with a bit of gentle preload just before I shifted, whether I was using the clutch or not. If it upsets the bike less I feel like it's easier on the transmission. You'll know when you're doing damage because it'll be a notchy shift. You will do damage if you preload with too much force or if you're not accelerating at a decent rate. But I'm not a motorcycle expert so I may be wrong.

Also I wouldn't do a clutchless shift from 1-2, it's a lot of travel and the bike sometimes gets stuck in neutral, leaving you revving the piss out of it and looking like an idiot.

Should look and sound something like this when done right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5d5KbUivPA

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a quickshifter that works really well from the uk that also does clutchless downshifts with some form of auto throttle blipper can not remember the name but you could probably find them with a Google search

·
Registered
495 Posts
With my 08 I have a slipper clutch so it's really easy and feels as smooth as using the clutch as long as it's timed appropriately. But essentially I'll get my foot under the shifter and just put some pressure on it, not forcing the change but "pre-loading" it. Than back all the way off throttle and blip it back on. In between the off and on, apply the full load to the shifter and you'll feel it kind of vaccuum suck the gear in as youre going back onto the gas. It's purty cool =D If you wanna practice I would say go from 2nd-->3rd-->4th. 1st to second is a bit abrupt usually..doesn't feel as nice for me yet
Ya...I honestly can't even read your reply. Your profile pic means I don't care about this topic anymore.

That's the most beautiful picture I've ever seen.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Buy a quickshifter, save your transmission.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Buy a quickshifter, save your transmission.
A quickshifter does not save your transmission. Proper technique and back cut, hardened gears do. :laugh

Reactions: Soflakid
1 - 20 of 21 Posts