Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not even be possible, but looking at the 2021 display, it’s hard to believe that there isn’t a dark mode for this… is there? How do you change that or do I have to swap the display for aftermarket?
Watch Gauge Vehicle Speedometer Measuring instrument

·
Registered
14,626 Posts
I'm guessing that display is still LCD, rather than a thin film transistor (TFT). Probably all you could do is dim the back lighting.... Someone with a '19+ will hopefully chime in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing that display is still LCD, rather than a thin film transistor (TFT). Probably all you could do is dim the back lighting.... Someone with a '19+ will hopefully chime in.
Man you be coming through with all the knowledge! 😂 but yeah it’s an LCD 😤 I was looking a YTers video and it seemed like theirs was in a dark mode but they haven’t responded just yet. If they do before, I’ll post the response.

·
Registered
14,626 Posts
I've been playing with motorcycles since ~1972. Granted, they were minibikes at that point, but the itch began then. I've been riding off and on ever since. Been involved in electronics since the early '80s while in the USN, and the two have come together over time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been playing with motorcycles since ~1972. Granted, they were minibikes at that point, but the itch began then. I've been riding off and on ever since. Been involved in electronics since the early '80s while in the USN, and the two have come together over time.
That makes so much sense! Thank you for your service! And I appreciate you assisting anytime we ask!

·
Director of Moderation
7,524 Posts
There is no dark mode on those.

·
Registered
718 Posts
That’s what I’m coming to find out smh. I saw a YTer have it on a 2021 Ninja 400 and just feel like that should be standard these days, yeah?
There are reasons why the kawi is cheaper than the other middleweights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Director of Moderation
7,524 Posts
That’s what I’m coming to find out smh. I saw a YTer have it on a 2021 Ninja 400 and just feel like that should be standard these days, yeah?
Ninja 400 definitely doesn't have that either. I have one. Need a TFT type dash, like most of the 1000cc bikes have nowadays, and a few others. But the middleweights and smaller/cheaper bikes don't.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ninja 400 definitely doesn't have that either. I have one. Need a TFT type dash, like most of the 1000cc bikes have nowadays, and a few others. But the middleweights and smaller/cheaper bikes don't.
Do you have one that you recommend?

·
Director of Moderation
7,524 Posts
Do you have one that you recommend?
Aftermarket dashes are not really a thing. They do exist, but mostly used on race bikes because of the extra functionality, since they incorporate data logging, so it's a whole system not just the dash itself. They're not made to look nice and fancy, since you don't really look at the dash all that much, they're still LCD like the stock one. Plus they're expensive, and would be a total waste of money for a street bike. Why do you want to change the dash? There's nothing wrong with the stock one. Plenty of other mods you can do on these bikes that would be more useful.

·
Registered
14,626 Posts
Were I in charge at mother Kawasaki, the design of all displays used on power sports equipment would be common. The population of certain pins on certain connectors would enable or disable specific functionality.

If there is a bike or watercraft which uses a TFT display within Kawasaki’s line up, the probability of creating a drop in replacement goes up dramatically.

Same deal with ECU….. once there is a unit in the lineup that can deal with processing all of the data for imu based traction control odd are very good economy of scale has been applied and that top end unit is dumbed down for everything else. If it’s just a software change rather than hardware you can drive down the cost of the part in a big way. Much easier to give it a lobotomy than to try and make it smarter….

How many display units will Kawasaki install across all product lines, before another technology (actual market demand) requires a hardware change? Including required spares? Same with ECUs, fuse blocks, wheel bearings, etc etc.

Manufacturing engineering is all about reducing cost, and that doesn’t happen with unique parts.

Cast wheels are another example, with Suzuki and Kawasaki sharing the same primary supplier. Low cost comes from high volume.

·
Director of Moderation
7,524 Posts
If there is a bike or watercraft which uses a TFT display within Kawasaki’s line up, the probability of creating a drop in replacement goes up dramatically.
Can't speak for all the adventure bikes they make since I'm not familiar with them, but as far as I know the only bike (or at least sport bike) that has a dash like that is the new 2021 ZX10R.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can't speak for all the adventure bikes they make since I'm not familiar with them, but as far as I know the only bike (or at least sport bike) that has a dash like that is the new 2021 ZX10R.
Think it’s possible to swap one of those onto my 2021 ZX6R, if I’m able to come into possession of it? I know there’s some tech differences, but should just be some software tweaks huh?

·
Director of Moderation
7,524 Posts
Think it’s possible to swap one of those onto my 2021 ZX6R, if I’m able to come into possession of it? I know there’s some tech differences, but should just be some software tweaks huh?
No. ECU is totally different, and most likely even the connection. Definitely not compatible. Why do you want to change it so bad??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No. ECU is totally different, and most likely even the connection. Definitely not compatible. Why do you want to change it so bad??
I wouldn’t say “so bad” but I like modding things… kinda the benefits of owning things out right is getting to tailor them to the way you want them to your own liking. Don’t really need a reason to have the conversation do I? Could just leave it at “impossible” but where’s the imagination and engineering in that? 😂

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'm kind of glad Kawasaki didn't copy all the Rideology [email protected] onto the ZX6R. Do you really need a multi-colour display on a track-focused bike? I despise the dashes they fit on the new Triumph Street Triples - give you way too much information. Sometimes it is great just to see an analogue tachometer and a digital speedometer.

Having said that I do wonder if Kawasaki is working on a new ZX6R which will likely have all this rubbish. I mean they pretty much can't sell the current model in Europe as it doesn't meet Euro5...maybe it will come to be. Meh.

·
Director of Moderation
7,524 Posts
I wouldn’t say “so bad” but I like modding things… kinda the benefits of owning things out right is getting to tailor them to the way you want them to your own liking. Don’t really need a reason to have the conversation do I? Could just leave it at “impossible” but where’s the imagination and engineering in that? 😂
List of mods that would serve a much better purpose:
  • ECU flash
  • full exhaust from a reputable brand
  • suspension
  • rear sets
  • clip-ons
  • forged wheels (or carbon fiber) if you got extra money

That's just scratching the surface. Lots of other things you can do, and many people do, since modding is fun like you said....but a dash?? Haven't come across a single person that wanted a fancier dash so far lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm kind of glad Kawasaki didn't copy all the Rideology [email protected] onto the ZX6R. Do you really need a multi-colour display on a track-focused bike? I despise the dashes they fit on the new Triumph Street Triples - give you way too much information. Sometimes it is great just to see an analogue tachometer and a digital speedometer.

Having said that I do wonder if Kawasaki is working on a new ZX6R which will likely have all this rubbish. I mean they pretty much can't sell the current model in Europe as it doesn't meet Euro5...maybe it will come to be. Meh.
I wasn’t really wanting all the colors, Bc I’m definitely on board with you. Simpler is better, but simply swapping what’s black for what’s white and vice versa isn’t a wild change at all. I like saving my eyes and everything device I own has been in dark modes since I learned rooting and coding years ago before they’ve become a norm 😂 I’m just a fan of that type of display, I could not care any less about the other specs and colors so I won’t be going TFT.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts