Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2006 ZX6R 636 (Australia). My low fuel indicator is always flashing regardless the level of fuel I have in my bike, this is annoying because its distracting and also I can't see how many KM's I've driven to really know when to refuel. I've taken the fuel pump out and tried cleaning the pump, I've also tried cleaning the connectors at the fuel pump with no effect.

From the manual it states if the sensor is faulty I should replace the fuel pump. I'm questioning if I really need to replace the whole working pump just because the low fuel sensor might be faulty.
I tried to be smart (in other words trying something when I don't know what I'm doing) and tried (in order) the following
  • I tried having green stripe wire open circuit (but cutting the wire) no change.
  • Put a 68 ohm (5w) resistor in series with the sensor wire (the one with the light green stripe). That seemed to work at the time of installing it but the next day it went back to low fuel indicator always on.
  • I then removed this series resistor and placed it directly to battery - i.e. green strip -> resistor -> battery (negative) but no change.
  • I also connected green strip directly to battery negative with no change.

I'm not discounting that I might have blown something since the series resistor was working when I installed it but not the next day (also I didn't test it after I put the seat back on, so something could have happened there) though I did put a fair bit of hot melt glue around the exposed wire so I'm not sure what else could have happened.

Thanks,

·
Registered
258 Posts
The fuel level sensor is a thermistor (resistance sensitive to temperature) that, depending on whether it is immersed in fuel or not, is more or less cold and based on that, the resistance value that the ECU reads changes and it sends the signal to dash light on or off. This sensor is not sold separately OEM, you have to buy the new pump or buy sensor the Aliexpress one and replace it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fuel level sensor is a thermistor (resistance sensitive to temperature) that, depending on whether it is immersed in fuel or not, is more or less cold and based on that, the resistance value that the ECU reads changes and it sends the signal to dash light on or off. This sensor is not sold separately OEM, you have to buy the new pump or buy sensor the Aliexpress one and replace it.
Would it be safe to install that sensor in my fuel tank? I would be happy just to have the indicator always turned off and not work, just to remove the constant flashing on the console.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You should repair or replace the thermistor or fuel pump assembly....THIS is how you make the light turn off.

Well you can always open the instrument cluster and remove the indicator light... or tape over it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts