Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got an 07 ninja 650 and I was wondering what can I do to make it louder but not worse sounding without buying a slip on, not gonna straight pipe it because I have morals

Quick vid of the stock exhaust sound
https://youtu.be/WD_eGkFyxCg

·
Registered
27 Posts
There not much you can do other then exhaust mods, can do maybe a airbox mod to get more induction sound.

You could cut open the exhaust and remove/cut away the snake/S bend in the exhaust and reweld in direct pipe.

Otherwise slip on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There not much you can do other then exhaust mods, can do maybe a airbox mod to get more induction sound.

You could cut open the exhaust and remove/cut away the snake/S bend in the exhaust and reweld in direct pipe.

Otherwise slip on.
I read something about drillings holes in the muffler but that's a level of redneck mods I also don't want to stoop down to

·
Registered
27 Posts
I read something about drillings holes in the muffler but that's a level of redneck mods I also don't want to stoop down to
That where the worse sounding part will happen, sound louder, but sound worse.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you want louder and more handy and have the tools, do as i said. Cut open the exhaust remove the baffling/S bend and re-weld it shut it be louder with similar sound.

·
Registered
12,913 Posts
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motorcycle/2007/ninja-650r-ex650a7f/muffler-s

Looks like remove and replace the OEM muffler is your only option, then. It's a big, heavy can with a long folded path through it...... To absorb sound. Also quite expensive to replace. Near $700. Don't cut yours up. Buy a used one to experiment on.

Looking at the cost of the OEM muffler alone, I could probably justify replacing the entire exhaust system. A simple 2:1, and a straight through glass pack would do it. If Supertrapp was still in business, they could make a small displacement twin sound very healthy.

On the cheap, measure the exit point of the OEM header, go through an auto parts store and find an aftermarket car muffler/glass pack/cherry bomb that will mate to the header. Flange doesn't need to match- an exhaust shop could weld up the needed connections and add mounting hardwate.

Better yet, talk to that shop and get an estimate for what you want. They could bodge together something out of what they have in their scrap pile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts