Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just purchased the two bros. slip-on exhaust for my '07 zx6r. how crucial is it that i get power commander? i need to know. i don't wanna drop another $300 if i don't have too. the riding season is coming to an end here in Oregon so how long can i get away without having power commander? thanks home-slices!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not sure I'm a "homeslice" but the power commander is going to make the most of the exhaust. A buddy of mine installed his exhaust without a PC and he was shooting flames out the tailpipe when he let off the throttle.

I don't think it is going to be horrible without the PCIII but it is going to mess with fuel system...

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Indeed. It's perfectly fine to run slip on's without PCIII's. You will appreciate the added tweaking ability if you do have one however.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Depends on how long you intend to run it. If its not mapped yuo can either be running too lean (burns your valves out eventually) or too rich (flames etc) either way if you budjet for PCIII and a rolling road you'll get the best from it. My GSR with PCIII and Leo VInce's put out 90bhp at the back wheel, farted and spat flames, rolling road tuned £100 and it put out 96bhp at the back wheel and was perfectly mapped throughout the rev range, the pick up in any gear was phenominal. Unfortunately Suzuki made 'em all with a very snatchy low down throttle response and the PCIII didn't get rid of the problem. Their loss is my ZX6R gain, a lot better bike.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the dealership said i would be running pretty lean with the slip on, cuz 2 bros. are pretty wide open with nothin' in there. when you say the valves will eventually burn out, how long is eventually? i figure by next spring i will have pcIII on there but there will probably about another 1k miles on the bike before i do it. thanks again for the input g-funks, you're helping me sleep better at night. bumble-bee tuna!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I could be wrong.. because it's been a while but doesn't your O2 sensor sense the Change in air and change your mixture to some degree? I rely don't think a slip on is going to be so bad on a Fuel Injected bike..

·
Registered
900 Posts
I would think it would take more than 1000 miles to burn out your valves, but I wouldn't trust to luck for too long, I think the O2 is only for detecting the bike is up to temperature/hydrocarbon levels and does not adjust mixture, but I could be and probably am wrong. On my Suzuki if it was disconnected ended up with FI light unless a shorting plug was used.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Dude, I know lots of people that run nothing but a slipon. Your bike will be fine. The PCIII will help but your bike won't really suffer. At most you'll have a backfire from time to time, usually when you let off the throttle at high rpm's and if it's dark you may or may not see a blue flame. Just don't rev the piss out of the bike if there's a cop car behind you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wonderful slow50, i feel a lot better now. i definitely won't "rev the piss" out of it with cops around. that made me laugh..... thanks for all the advice brosives! i'm out!

p.s. oh ya when i get the pipe on i'll post some pics should be sweeeeet!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I don't know if the 07 is the same as the 06 but there's a valve or something for the stock pipe that you need to install a weird bracket on. I didn't see it in the package when I got my two bros slip on and it made my FI light stay on. It's under the seat and just one bolt holds it in place, make sure you use loc-tite on it because it'll work it's way out. Like I said, your's may or may not have it but it's easier to do it right the first time than to take it back apart to fix it later.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
i have a d&d slip on with a well tuned pc111 and i shoot flames when gettin out of the throttle, but u should be ok with out a pc with just a slipon, but it is nice to have 1 tho, def feel a better throttle responce and smoothes out the power band to

1 - 17 of 17 Posts