Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oivey...:headbang:

My wife decided to store paint in a wall storage unit above my bike. I live in a townhouse complex so my house is attached to the next. My neighbour decided to get a punching bag and the vibrations of him using it caused a small paint can to tip over and spill over my bike. Shitty yes, I don't blame the wife, I should've had the cover on even though it's garage kept, can't be too safe.

The paint went the front side of the gas tank, below the handlebars, and down the inside of the right fairing. I'm just wondering if you guys could think of any damage that could've been done?

I was at work when this happened so I couldn't clean it till the next day. The paint dried mostly and is water-based. I spent over 12 hours cleaning, and even when it happened my wife cleaned lots of the visible paint. It didn't affect the bike paint as household paint just chips/peels off.

Opening the bike the majority when in front of the air filter and spilled out the bottom onto the large exhaust pipes that protrude from the engine and create most of the heat when running. I cleaning the whole bike, but in haste and without thinking, I ran the bike due to paranoia. In doing that it cooked the paint onto those pipes and is now impossible to get off. I couldn't see it affecting the function, but you guys think it'll just burn off into fumes or whatever as I ride?

Also the paint hit where the handlebars slide in to connect to the fork, any possible issues there? I cleaned that well, and didn't look bad. The radiator has a couple drops too.

Sorry for the long read, but it was a unique experience I felt I must share!

Thank you so much for the help/advice people!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
is it latex paint? let it dry then peel it off. doesnt stick to metal very well. or plastic for that mater. no damage will result. just an eye sore if you cant get it off. DO NOT USE THINNER to remove it. or any other major detergent. it will eat your paint. if anything, use a little bit of gasoline on a rag and wipe it down. then use glass cleaner to remove the gas remnants / film. then clean it with your favorite bike wash or cleaner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I used solvent on the pipes, but didn't work well since I cooked the paint and acetone (nail polish remover) on the black plastic. The green paint on my bike was carefully chipped/peeled off.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kyle I wish man, but no cashflow :(

Blaze I totally wud've posted pics, but was in sucha rush to clean the beauty. You wouldn't believe how bad it looked! Btw, beautiful bike, orange is my fav colour! My jacket and helmet are orange; go ahead laugh, orange gear on a green bike, I think it actually looks good!

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
to bad it wasnt orange paint then, fast way for a paint job. Joking, sorry to hear that. I would have been pissed and go to the neighbor and pour paint on his ass..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL! i don't care for the neighbour, but i ain't that mean. if it was paint that stuck on the bike then i wuda gone medieval on his ass!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts