Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 636 is getting pretty up there in the mileage. 30,000 miles actually, all mine. Shes not running so great anymore because for every last one of those 30,000 miles, the bike was ridden HARD.
So for my next bike, I am really considering a Z1000. Actually, I pretty much have my mind made up on it. I rode a friends a few days ago, and that thing was a BLAST! Since I use my bike for commuting alot, the upright seating position is refreshing. I love the agressive looks, and impressive low to mid range power. Not to mention, this thing will ride wheelies with ease. Since it is such a short wheelbase, this thing pops right up and balances out wonderfully. Im looking for an 03/04 as I think they look the best. The 2007 model has just a little too much going on for me.
Thoughts about the bike? anyone have/had one, loved it or hated it? lets hear it!

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
the local kwaka shop has 1 for a loan bike and my mate hayden hates it and always asks for any thing else cos he says its missing a whole front end and the dash is too small. Personaly i think they look cool and sound great with sports pipes.. Just go out and ride a few different years to see thr difference

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
The 03/04's are awesome but the later years...not so much. Know a few people who own them and they love them. A certain type of person rides them though. If you're a commuter they are an awesome machine to have.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Great looking bike but can you live with the wind blast when you're not commuting? Seriously hampered my journeys on my last bike, took all the enjoyment out of it.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Cool bikes:thumbup 30k shouldn't be even close to worn out on your six though, perhaps it just needs a little TLC:)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool bikes:thumbup 30k shouldn't be even close to worn out on your six though, perhaps it just needs a little TLC:)
Yea, it needs alot of TLC... I believe I messed up the top end from doing very long standup wheelies, starving the top end for oil. Engine is getting very noisy. Wont idle right, and breaks up at high Rs. Im gonna try switching to a lighter weight oil, just hasnt ran right since i put 20w-50 in it. Keeps fouling plugs. I plan to keep the ol' 636 in addition to the new Z1000.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
20-50 is way too thick for your bike, go back to 10-40 like the manual says and try that. Have you checked valve clearances? Cleaned the air filter? Replaced plugs and wires lately? Most of the time breaking up at high rpm is due to an ignition issue (plugs, wires, coils etc..).

good luck

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
20-50 is way too thick for your bike, go back to 10-40 like the manual says and try that. Have you checked valve clearances? Cleaned the air filter? Replaced plugs and wires lately? Most of the time breaking up at high rpm is due to an ignition issue (plugs, wires, coils etc..).

good luck
i replaced the plugs about 2 weeks ago. It ran great for about a week, then started acting up again. So im assuming they are going to be black and charred when I pull them out, just like the ones before that were. I am switching back to 10w-40 semi-synthetic and throwing new plugs in this weekend. Im also going to run some Yamaha Ring-Free through it to clean the engine out a bit, along with some fuel injector cleaner. Hopefully it will get it running good again. I plan to keep it, but I still want that Z1000!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
03 and 04 suffers from headstock weld problem. if the bike has been wheelied and front slammed down too hard, the welds start to give from the front headstock area.

one guy bought used bike, and noticed that the front made click noise when the wheelie was set down. removed the tank and noticed the welds where bad. also performance bikes magazine said the welds can brake.

I say speed triple is much better bike. It has everything over kwak. more torque, more power, more personality(three cylinder sound). single sided swing arm.

JT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts