Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never a dull moment.

I was going down a state highway around noon today, crossing through farm country to get to the twisties along the Mississippi. I'm cruising along at 60 or faster (a friend said he thought I was doing 80 but i think 70 tops).

All of a sudden, about 40 yards up a huge adult Turkey flushes up and starts flapping his way across the road. It's one of those moments where you realize you are just about to get it. No swerving, braking or accelerating as I didn't want to destabilize the bike before an impact.

The suicidal bird hit immediately on my left headlight, it's huge body impacting the entire left side of my front fairing. Part of the bird slammed my left hand which instantly forced the bike into a steep right counter-steer and in a blink of an eye I am heading toward gravel and a steeply recessed ditch at full speed.

I managed to slow the counter steer at about the white line, and bike moved a another foot or two into the gravel shoulder as I ended the counter steer, and I slowed the bike gradually. All of this happened in a moment or two and probably another few seconds to slow down on the gravel.

I thought my left hand was broken but looks like my Teknic gloved did the the job and my fingers and hand will be ok. My front left fairing is shattered, my left mirror tore off, my left side fairing also shattered.

The good news: First, I now have a really cool accessory for my helmet. And, Lord willing, the insurance will replace the fairings since I never really liked the reflective stuff on the anniversary editions. Hopefully if they ante up I'll just go basic black.

Crying shame that I couldn't get some meat off that bad boy. He looked tasty.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Dang. You gonna eat that?
This. Eat the bastard and his soul for causing you misfortune and trouble on your ride :devil:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Last july when i was at camp pendleton, i was doin about 65 and a fucking suicidal hawk slammed into my chest. knocked the wind outta me and bruised my chest, luckily i was alone on the road because i swerved into the oncoming lane(either that or a 60 foot drop off a cliff). didnt drop the bike, but if i didnt shit before i left work, i definitely woulda shit myself

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
^HA.

glad you saved it bro!

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I wish MasterTurkey would stop jumping out into the road. RIP.
i agree. i told him not to do it. But he doesn't listen. i call dibs on his new 636 though

·
Registered
3,091 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Turkeys are going crazy, Just last Saturday a damn Turkey flew through my scenic window... The window doesn't open, it flew through the glass. In the middle of town. Damn bird wasn't even dead, we picked it up and threw it out the front door for it to run away. Should have ate the damned thing.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
DEATH TO THE TURKEY!!!
I spent all weekend tring to bag a bird out in the woods. Would of had better luck just sitting along a road, or driving around gangster style with a shot gun out the window saying "here birdi birdi birdi"....

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Mmm time for turkey nuggets!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts