Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Glad you're ok. I saw the short clip on Instagram which led me to the youtube video. Have you picked up a new bike yet?
No I'm not in a rush. I decided i'd wait a month to let my body heal, and give my mind time to learn from my mistakes & the situation. That is important to me, as riding is a luxury. Probably pick something up in May :)

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
I'm not gonna add much to this aside from: I hope you learned that the rear brake is utterly useless in this case and that's what caused you to crash. You weren't going that fast and could have easily slowed down enough to not have anything happen.

But that engine just cuts out to nothing... ass end swings way out and you highsided. Textbook rear braking gone wrong.

Glad you're ok. And go hit that parking lot and practice some emergency stops!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Glad you're ok.

I'm responding here to a youtube comment, and this is not at you, but at people who say, 'I had to lay it down'. - A bike always stops better on its tires. Any speed you can bleed off before impact will save you a lot of impact energy. There is NEVER a case (that I can think of) where it's better to 'lay it down'. Seriously, brakes + tires, even if you won't stop 100%.

/soapbox

Also, I'm glad you're ok.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Very late to the game but as I was watching the video, all I could think of was "and that is exactly why you should not be using the rear brake on a sportbike"

Glad you are ok!

·
Registered
12,690 Posts
Glad you're ok.

I'm responding here to a youtube comment, and this is not at you, but at people who say, 'I had to lay it down'. - A bike always stops better on its tires. Any speed you can bleed off before impact will save you a lot of impact energy. There is NEVER a case (that I can think of) where it's better to 'lay it down'. Seriously, brakes + tires, even if you won't stop 100%.

/soapbox

Also, I'm glad you're ok.
True...but a lot of times laying it down will let the bike take most of the hit while allowing the rider to deflect off and slide away from the crash.

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
True...but a lot of times laying it down will let the bike take most of the hit while allowing the rider to deflect off and slide away from the crash.
The physics of the thing do not align with this thinking.....:coocoo

If you and the bike are going the same speed, it isn't going to matter which one hits first. that's like saying the second person who jumps out of a plane without a parachute will hit the ground with less energy than the first one.:dowhat

Didn't work for Wile E. Coyote, it won't work for you.:laugh

When you part company with the bike, you and it will be going in the same direction, unless you are flung off in a high side. Even then, the change in direction is minimal. Maybe a couple of feet.

Rubber wearing away trumps leather wearing away, which trumps skin and bones. :yes Stay on the bike. Keep it upright.

Slow down.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts

If you and the bike are going the same speed, it isn't going to matter which one hits first. that's like saying the second person who jumps out of a plane without a parachute will hit the ground with less energy than the first one.:dowhat

Didn't work for Wile E. Coyote, it won't work for you.:laugh

When you part company with the bike, you and it will be going in the same direction, unless you are flung off in a high side. Even then, the change in direction is minimal. Maybe a couple of feet.

Rubber wearing away trumps leather wearing away, which trumps skin and bones. :yes Stay on the bike. Keep it upright.

Slow down.

Actually, a person has a significantly smaller mass than a bike (for most people), meaning that a person's momentum is vastly less than a bike at the same slide speed. Thus, a person (whether wearing cow or sliding on skin) will slow down much much FASTER than a sliding bike will. I can attest to this as I had a low side a while back where I ended up 20 meters from a curb when the bike's tire bumped that curve. Now, I'm not saying it's ever good to intentionally lay a bike down, but you WILL slow down faster than the bike does.

·
Registered
12,690 Posts

Well...think of it this way: Lets say theres a car taking a turn too fast and its gonna crash into the wall. Would u rather be strapped to the hood of the car or strapped to the trunk?

Id rather be on the trunk. My body will have the same momentum regardless, but this way I would be using the car as the "shock absorber" to cushion my impact.

·
Registered
12,690 Posts
Actually, a person has a significantly smaller mass than a bike (for most people), meaning that a person's momentum is vastly less than a bike at the same slide speed. Thus, a person (whether wearing cow or sliding on skin) will slow down much much FASTER than a sliding bike will. I can attest to this as I had a low side a while back where I ended up 20 meters from a curb when the bike's tire bumped that curve. Now, I'm not saying it's ever good to intentionally lay a bike down, but you WILL slow down faster than the bike does.
Fixed* :)

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
Actually, a person has a significantly smaller mass than a bike (for most people), meaning that a person's momentum is vastly less than a bike at the same slide speed. Thus, a person (whether wearing cow or sliding on skin) will slow down much much slower than a sliding bike will. I can attest to this as I had a low side a while back where I ended up 20 meters from a curb when the bike's tire bumped that curve. Now, I'm not saying it's ever good to intentionally lay a bike down, but you WILL slow down faster than the bike does.
You've actually stated your argument backwards.....you will deaccelerate at a greater rate than the bike, due to the difference in mass, and potentially coefficient of friction..... either way, the bike wearing away is a far better survival technique than sacrificing skin and bone for a minor change.

I say minor, due to the fact that in any street situation I can think of, the bike and ride will almost certainly impact SOMETHING before they come to rest due to friction alone.

Tracks have huge amounts of run off area for this very reason.

Staying on top of the bike, and executing an exit strategy which does not include impact as a component...... priceless.:devious

·
Registered
865 Posts
I watched your low side too, it wasn't the gravel that took you out... why do people always blame gravel? I've gone over gravel half a hundred times, wiggled a little and kept going.

Track may be 5-6 hours away but I'd take a trip to it and really learn how to RIDE a motorcycle. Learn to control it and let it control itself, they actually like being on two wheels, physics :)

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I watched your low side too, it wasn't the gravel that took you out... why do people always blame gravel? I've gone over gravel half a hundred times, wiggled a little and kept going.

Track may be 5-6 hours away but I'd take a trip to it and really learn how to RIDE a motorcycle. Learn to control it and let it control itself, they actually like being on two wheels, physics :)
Quiz: what do you do when you ride over a manhole cover and your front wheel starts to slide?

A: Do nothing

Quiz: what do you do when you ride over a manhole cover and your rear wheel starts to slide?

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
Quiz: what do you do when you ride over a manhole cover and your front wheel starts to slide?

Quiz: what do you do when you ride over a manhole cover and your rear wheel starts to slide?

To quote an old book, "Fear is the mind killer."

·
Registered
42 Posts
Emergency braking is part of getting the license for a motorcycle here in Denmark - but yeah keep practising, is always a good advice for any rider.

Like one of the interviewed from the movie "Why We Ride" says:

"There is 2 types of riders. One that has been riding for 20 years and one that has been for 5 years. The dude riding for 20 years has one year of experience cause he keeps doing the same types of roads or even the same route over and over. Whereas the guy with 5 years of riding has experience it all, different types of roads, trackdays, educationalcourses on this and that. Point is you can always learn and develeop"

21 - 40 of 56 Posts