Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

What to do...

HID Retrofit or Slip on Exhaust

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  up2you 
#1 ·
Ever since I bought my bike a few weeks ago, I have been mulling over what I can do to make my new baby shine. This forum has provided me with A LOT of different ideas and it is come down for me to make a decision.

Right now, it is a toss up between retrofitting my headlights with projectors/angel eyes or putting on a slip on exhaust to replace the stock one. I have the money to do both (and one would definitely be a future upgrade) but am a stickler and indecisive when it comes to forking out more than $20.00 :sigh:

I have made my decisions on what I would buy for both the retrofit and the exhaust (Akra) but would like to get your input.

So people of the interwebs, what would you do if you were in my predicament? :coocoo

#4 ·
Considering the pipe is only going to make the bike louder, rather than faster, it's worth considering whether you are into looks or actual performance.

Lights would make it easier to see, which would result in you being safer. That's performance you can use.

Braided brake lines improve braking feel.... that's something you can use as well.

Formal training, so you can operate the bike closer to the potential it already has.... priceless. You'll carry that knowledge with you the rest of your life.

The best riding gear you can find? If you have less damage, you'll ride longer. Better gear will keep you in better shape to ride, as well as to maintain your awareness of your surroundings.

#5 ·
If you do a lot of night driving on highways or low lit areas I would go retrofit. If not I would say exhaust because if the cager next to you can't see you they can hear you.

#9 ·
I live in sunny (currently rainy) Southern CA. Mostly day/commute/freeways. Was leaning towards the exhaust and that seems to be what the general concensus is. I will give it a few more days to rattle my brain and then make a final decision.

Oh and I have been unable to ride my bike for the last 2 days because of the "Worst storm Southern CA has seen in the last two years!" (approx. 6 in. of rain over the last 2 days) :2fingerlol:

#6 ·
I would do the hid upgrade but I do a lot of night commuting and have to see where I am going I have to do 15 or so miles on a twisty 2 lane road with no street lights and truthfully why not do both I mean if you have the money a hid kit is only like 80 bucks if that coremoto has them for 69 buck and you get the led running lights

#10 ·
Exhaust then for sure.

#11 ·
Why not buy a second hand exhaust? Make it much cheaper.

I've had exhausts for £15 second hand in reasonable condition, compared to £300+ new!

#12 ·
Once I make the decision, which from everyone's recomendation it will be a slip on, I will shop around. Been looking on Craig's list and this forum a little bit already.

The only reason I would buy new is that there are not many secondary Akra's on the market for an '05 (unless someone can point me in the right direction :devious)

I am sure I can get a yoshi or scorpion no problem but I'd rather fork out the extra couple hundred bucks for better quality and uniqueness if I am already making a $400 investment. :p

#14 ·
End Can no
Full System yes

there are a lot of gains from Dyno Setup on a stock bike though!

Have you ever seen a stock Injected bike dyno graph?

They literally INSERT flatspots at the ranges that noise and emission testing will be carried out! I'm fairly sure this is the logic behind 'Jumper Modding' a US bike - the European map that it switches the bike onto isn't as flattened!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.