Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Hi from Northern Virginia

1K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  bradleymark708 
#1 ·
Hi, my names Sebastian i'm from Northern VA, im 16 and have been riding for almost a year, i started with and still have my 2005 zx6r.

#5 ·
Sebastian,

Compliments are in order. A motorcycle is a HUGE risk/responsibility.... presuming you have to have your parent's support with owning and riding as it's so unlikely you would be living on your own at this point -- that's a really, really precious thing. Out of my personal curiosity, what sort of stipulations are placed on you and your riding? Obviously they aren't likely to say it's okay for you to take off for FL anytime soon; do they require you to pay for parts, tools, fuel, insurance, etc.? What sort of riding gear are you using at this point? Do you have to maintain a GPA to ride?

#6 ·
Hi RJ!

Yes I still live with my parents as I'm 16. It took over a year of convincing but I was able to convince my to allow me to get a bike. I pay for any and all expenses related to my bike including the bike itself, parts, tools, fuel, and insurance. I wear full gear, (boots, pants, jacket, gloves, and helmet), all from reputable brands such as Alpine star (boots), Dainase (Jacket), and HJC (helmet). I wear the gear and as I believe it's important to always, and yes, it's required by mom. I do have to maintain a gpa of a 3.5 or higher to be able to ride. This was never a problem for me as I am a good student. I'm also currently enrolled in welding school on a full scholarship that replaces every other day of high school for me. I can't just go and ride whenever I want, I have to make sure my mom knows and is okay with going at that time, (has to be light out, and not rush hour). I'm very appreciative that she allows me to ride and have a bike despite the fact I know it scares the ever loving shit out of her everytime I'm out riding. I'll gladly follow any stipulations she asks for. I'm able to pay for my bike and related expenses because of having worked a 9-5 job, Monday through Friday, for the past 2 summers, as well as continuing to work part time during the school year.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'm happy to answer whatever!

#7 ·
Northern VA covers a large range of riding environments. I have to think metropolitan or suburban areas are your stomping grounds.

As you said you have to consider rush hour, I am wondering if you have attended any of the MSF schools which are offered?

#8 ·
I'm in Loudoun county, the Ashburn area. Yes I did attend a MSF course to get my license in January.
Most of the riding I do is around here, but, at least once a month I try and go on a group ride that goes out to WV and the mountains 345 miles round trip, which is really what I enjoy. I also plan on getting into track riding this spring as the summit point track is only 45 minutes from me.

#14 ·
The track really is where you can get the best out of the bike.

Do you know much about the history of your bike?
Yes! I still talk to the guy I bought it from. Super nice dude, the bike was originally bought to be a track bike and was used and abused until the 20k mile mark. He then had the whole engine rebuilt before selling and has documentation showing everything he did. It has a brembo master cylinder, vortex rearsets, new rotors and sintered pads as of 20k miles, and some other things.

#10 ·
Welcome and sounds like you are responsible and have thought thru the motorcycle issues very well. When my younger son was in college I told him to never get a motorcycle, he had too much trouble with a bicycle. He is a doctor now and has no motorcycle. LOL he seems to mis some of the situational awareness that is critical to motorcycling like riding a bicycle down a back onto a sidewalk and not realizing the surface and traction changed. Skinned his knee up pretty badly. His younger sister rode my Honda Metropolitian all over campus when he was at Auburn but when she went to Alabama she left it at home. She is not a math and since smart as her brothers but is very talented artistically and actually did well with the scooter. My oldest son loves to ride mountain bikes and when he was at CalTech he loved riding in the nearby mountains. He is not a motorcycle person though. All this to say everyone is different and has different abilities.

After reading the thread my advice is track days are good but make sure you get in with a good group. California Superfine school is a great program but a bit pricy compared with typical track day but is a great learning experience. I have a photo of Keith Code giving Joe Roberts last minute instructions as he was on the grid for his first AMA race - Joe was your age. My other advice is when you are in a group riding be careful to ride you pace and don't get caught up in the group enthusiasm and ride faster than you are comfortable. I don't ride groups very often but had one experience with a fella on a new to him bike and we rode out thru some nice corners. On the way back he wanted to be in front. Well on one hairpin he blew the corner and wound up well into the oncoming lane but fortunately no one was coming! I think he has gotten better since.

#15 ·
Welcome and sounds like you are responsible and have thought thru the motorcycle issues very well. When my younger son was in college I told him to never get a motorcycle, he had too much trouble with a bicycle. He is a doctor now and has no motorcycle. LOL he seems to mis some of the situational awareness that is critical to motorcycling like riding a bicycle down a back onto a sidewalk and not realizing the surface and traction changed. Skinned his knee up pretty badly. His younger sister rode my Honda Metropolitian all over campus when he was at Auburn but when she went to Alabama she left it at home. She is not a math and since smart as her brothers but is very talented artistically and actually did well with the scooter. My oldest son loves to ride mountain bikes and when he was at CalTech he loved riding in the nearby mountains. He is not a motorcycle person though. All this to say everyone is different and has different abilities.

After reading the thread my advice is track days are good but make sure you get in with a good group. California Superfine school is a great program but a bit pricy compared with typical track day but is a great learning experience. I have a photo of Keith Code giving Joe Roberts last minute instructions as he was on the grid for his first AMA race - Joe was your age. My other advice is when you are in a group riding be careful to ride you pace and don't get caught up in the group enthusiasm and ride faster than you are comfortable. I don't ride groups very often but had one experience with a fella on a new to him bike and we rode out thru some nice corners. On the way back he wanted to be in front. Well on one hairpin he blew the corner and wound up well into the oncoming lane but fortunately no one was coming! I think he has gotten better since.
I laughed so hard reading this! When I first got my bike I had let my 19 year old brother try riding in a parking lot. (I had crash bars installed for when I was learning and I locked the throttle to not go past 1/4). My brother dropped the bike 4 times making it a total of 6 feet. I then remembered that he had never been able to ride a back, I guess balance just isn't his thing. He's a smart guy though on his way to medical school!

#16 ·

The main track organization that does track days at the track near me is Evolve GT, I've gotten lots of great tips and advice on their very friendly forums. I also make sure to ride at my own pace on group rides, couldn't keep up with half the guys even if I wanted to. The group I ride with is half nakeds/cruisers, and half prominent track riders on liter bikes that seem to have a death wish with how they ride on the street.

#17 ·
Welcome and congratulations, I have a 17 year old daughter so I am familiar with treating people your age and not everyone is as responsible as you (luckily my daughter is) you remind me a lot of me when I was your age and the bikes did not let me sleep, I did not think about anything else until I understood that the study was what was going to help me buy them in the future. Later I convinced my mother to buy me one but that's another story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.