Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just to introduce myself to forum –

Been biking since 2011, 33, based in Glasgow and have had ’12 CBR600F from new, but never loved it so it’s gone and I now have a 1998 ZX6R (ZZR600) – (not sure which is right), Ninja.

Been riding through each summer and still learning lots - find myself still going a good bit slower than lots other guys, but have managed a couple trips up north and a coupld trips to knockhill.

I was hoping to get some advice from those who may own this bike and / or may have worked on it. I got it from a mate for £200. It had new-ish battery, chain and sprockets and the valve clearance had been done. It’s done 36k miles and has been dropped a couple times.

It’s a bit tatty and has a few running issue engine wise and needed an MOT. So…

I gave it

Oil
New plugs
Air Filter (K&N)
New tyres
Rebuilt the brakes with new seals, fluid, pads and HEL hoses.
Rebuilt front shocks (get to these later)
And tidied up some cracked body work.

So it’s now running and past an MOT. – Used it most of last summer and it started again yesterday and I went out on a run and it is generally ok.

Issues / Advice.

The engine.
It doesn’t like to run without the chock out full and until it’s been up to speed, i.e. motorway speed any attempt to close the choke results in engine dying. Also, if I start it again after a break, so there is still plenty heat in the engine it is incredibly easy to stall and I have to give it the beans and slip the clutch just to get it moving.

I believe I need to strip and clean the carbs as I think the idle jets may be blocked? Is this a likely scenario? It was sitting for a year before I got it. Also should there be anything else I should concern myself with engine wise give the mileage? If I am going to strip down the carbs, is it worth getting a jet kit? Am I opening another can of worms?

The other issue is when I hit 10k/11k revs then engine reacts like I’ve knocked it out of gear. I think this may be the RAM air kicking in, but the revs climb like crazy and there doesn’t seem to be any noticeable shove in the acceleration, just the noise and I need to change up ASAP.

The Suspension.
I think this is now old and tired. I re-oiled the forks, but when it went for its MOT I was told they were “hydraulically locked” and I had messed it up and it needed a rebuild. A full rebuild but they decided not to replace the seals – go figure. Anyway there seems very little life left in either the front or rear, so what path should I go down? I can get them rebuilt at MCT but I am also looking at cost vs reward. So I don’t mind spending the money, but no point upgrading if I should be addressing other issues first. MCT have also told me that since the bottom adjusters are seized they cannot fix it. I don’t see the point on spending cash on front forks that are half broken – any thoughts?

The brakes
I am pretty content with my rebuild and at some stage will upgrade the discs.

Other
Should I be looking at anything else. The rad is pretty bashed in, but the bike keeps itself cool ok. Clutch, gearbox etc etc – any other preventative / productive maintenance I should do?

Thanks to all for any hints / tips / thoughts / advice

Cheers

Stuart

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Welcome aboard the site.. I too have a 1998 g1 zx6r and have swapped the rear shock to a 2007 unit and its a direct bolt up.. Not sure on the value of new vs used or rebuilt forks mate but just depends how quick you need the bike on the road I'd say

·
Registered
251 Posts
Welcome to the group. Sounds like some carb work is definitely in your near future. Enjoy and keep it right side up and stay safe!

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
The engine.
It doesn’t like to run without the chock out full and until it’s been up to speed, i.e. motorway speed any attempt to close the choke results in engine dying. Also, if I start it again after a break, so there is still plenty heat in the engine it is incredibly easy to stall and I have to give it the beans and slip the clutch just to get it moving.

I believe I need to strip and clean the carbs as I think the idle jets may be blocked? Is this a likely scenario? It was sitting for a year before I got it. Also should there be anything else I should concern myself with engine wise give the mileage? If I am going to strip down the carbs, is it worth getting a jet kit? Am I opening another can of worms?

The other issue is when I hit 10k/11k revs then engine reacts like I’ve knocked it out of gear. I think this may be the RAM air kicking in, but the revs climb like crazy and there doesn’t seem to be any noticeable shove in the acceleration, just the noise and I need to change up ASAP.
Yup, it sounds like you need to thoroughly clean the carbs.

This sounds like your clutch may either be worn out, or the cable/lever needs adjusting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts