Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Don’t know if any of you all have had this problem..... I have a 05 636. Once I leave the battery plugged in, a day and a half and it’s dead. Take the battery pole off for more than a week and it starts right up. Put the fuse on the tester and found out that the ECU is still receiving current even when the key is turned off so that’s what’s draining the battery even when the bike is off. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
Most likely the ECU relay located in the relay box.
That relay isnt made to be replaceable. Its built into a box which contains a few other relays. But if u have some soldering skills, you can take it apart and solder in a new relay. Heres how it looks on the inside:

Or you can take the easy route and just buy and replace the entire relay box for about 30 bucks:2006 zx6r relay box | eBay

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys. I tested the box just like the guy did in the video. All my relay checked out just fine. Had continuity in all of them. Any other solution?

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
Hey guys. I tested the box just like the guy did in the video. All my relay checked out just fine. Had continuity in all of them. Any other solution?
Are u sure?? The only way to draw current thru the ECU fuse is to have the ECU relay closed. That is the only path of current to the ECU. If that relay is open, theres no way power is gonna flow thru the ECU fuse.

With the bike fully turned off and keys outta the ignition, check for amperage thru the ECU fuse again. What is it reading?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are u sure?? The only way to draw current thru the ECU fuse is to have the ECU relay closed. That is the only path of current to the ECU. If that relay is open, theres no way power is gonna flow thru the ECU fuse.

With the bike fully turned off and keys outta the ignition, check for amperage thru the ECU fuse again. What is it reading?
when I remove the ECU fuse, my battery reads at 12.60. As soon as I put the fuse in, it drops to 12.57 and Gradually goes down and down. Remove the fuse again, it goes back up to almost 12.60 depending on how long I had the fuse in. I pulled the relay box and put it through the same exact test step by step the guy showed and all relays had continuity

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so My friend has the same exact bike as mine..... borrowed his relay box, bike did the same exact thing. So am back to square one. Any other suggestion?

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Hey guys. Found my problem. I have a bad ECU. Put my friend one in and it stopped pulling the current immediately. Thanks for the help!
Thanks for updating the thread with the resolution!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for updating the thread with the resolution!
Thank you all too for the help! Another way you can tell if it’s the ECU, I realized that the ECU stays warm. How I managed it until I got a next ECU, I just pulled the fuse for the ECU and when am ready to use the bike again, I put the fuse back in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts