Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh guy's I'm bugging over here in Atlanta. I have a 99 zx6r that I converted BACk to a street legal bike from a track bike and i've just ran into a small snag. Upon giving the tittle bond people i was met with "this is not a valid VIN number" I personally pulled the VIN ( JKAZX4G35XA002668 ) off the frame. I mean the number is scored into the metal of the frame lol...and hasnt been tampered with. This is very confusing. It's like i'd almost rather hear "the bike was a salvage" rather than "Try again champ..that number is retarded" :banghead

I have a 1999 ZX6R (gmodel) or possibly an early 2000 gmodel before they officially changed the headlights.

Has anyone esle ran into this problem? And if so how did you handle it. Tommorrow morning i'll personally go up to the County Tag Office (just to double check) :confused :O

·
Registered
74 Posts
I remember an American mate of mine having a similar issue a while back. I "think" what had happened was the bike was bought and instantly tracked so it was never recorded as a road bike, so there was no VIN history. If you bought the bike 2nd hand the frame might have come from a different bike or changed to a new one without the proper paperwork matching it up. I'll see if I can get in touch with him and find out what he did...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Oh yeah... Also, don't you guys have so service available where you phone em, pay a fee and can get a vehicle history check? You maybe able to find a bit of history about the bike from the VIN or engine number

Did out check the vin against the engine number?

Btw a stamped frame doesn't mean it's genuine... Not that I'd know about that

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I'd try running the vin through your insurance company or vehix or carfax or something like that. If it shows up, file>print, take that to DMV and point out that if it's not a valid fin, why would the insurance agent recognize it as valid?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are both on to something...natually I was hoping a stamped frame was a legit thing but I guess anything can be faked. Man I hope that's not the case. Ill call around to some insurance comapanies (again) but I can't get it insured with out that tittle..I need that to register the bike (and tag it). We DO have plenty of ways to check VIN numbers but the problem is none of the ways recognize the vin number as a Real number.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i don't know what you guys call it....but you should have a peice of paper/document that says you own the bike (title maybe)....it should also have the vin on it..do they both match? if not run the number on the document.

otherwise try this:

http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFram...cleInformation/VIChooseVehicle.asp?intParts=0

and

https://www.kawasaki.com/OwnerInfo/ownerSupportForm.aspx

also if you're bored or have time, go through this and see if the vin actually "makes sense"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIN#Check_digit_calculation

just read back on my earlier post and realised i didn't explain my self very well...
the frame and engine numbers aren't actually the same number. most manufacturers keep a record of which engine goes into which frame, in case of emergency recalls etc. if you phone kawasaki they "should" be able to tell you if that engine belongs in that frame. (2nd link should do it)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help fellas!!!! turn's out the VIN just has been registered at ALL (in GA esp) so I had to go through a process at the ta and tittle office then went on and got the thing tittle bonded. I now have a NEW CLEAN tittle for the frame and its insured and ready to ride ($200 for the hole YEAR lol)

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
At least you have a VIN on your frame, I can't find mine, so lets hope I never have to get a new title or anything.

·
Registered
93 Posts
At least you have a VIN on your frame, I can't find mine, so lets hope I never have to get a new title or anything.
Yo I have the same bike as you and oddly enough my frame also has no VIN on it. However the ministry of transportation here stamped a sheet of metal that they riveted to the frame near my right foot peg and that has a new VIN assigned to the bike that does not start with JKA...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts