Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ninja-cowboys.....yeeehaaa.... ok, I just bought a new bike (new to me) '04 zx-6r. I love having those extra CC's BTW. I got it without a manual and I don't have a clue. I already downloaded the manual found under "The File Vault" but it's not the actual manual that comes with the bike I am sure.
This is my question, how do you use the LCD, odometer, meter thing... when you press on the two buttons on the left (mode + reset) and hold them you seem to get into some kind of setting with the RPM, and an orange light comes ON on the top left corner. What is this thing about? is it to change the power output on the bike or what? Once you are there you can press the MODE and you actually see the RPM digital needle move up and when you reach the red line it comes down to 13,000 and if you keep on pressing it will do it all over again back to the red line. So what is it? Can anyone explain this to me? Thanks cowboys. Ninjas are the best!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
i believe that is the shift light, you can program it to the riders prefrence.. look in the manual find the gage cluster it will show what ever light is for.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes that is the shift light. Lights up at a preset rpm so you know when to shift. You can change the brightness of the light when it comes on and also what rpm you want it to come on at.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Speaking of which... Where do you guys have yours set?

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Mine is set at the earliest. You can't see the silly thing anyway, it's not bright enough. Boo.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Sounds like theshift light.

Why doesn't someone scan the relevent pages out of the manual?

I wish mine could be set lower so I could use it as an over speed indicator in 6ht. I think it might be ok in 5th, but 6th is walking pace - 130km/h+ or so.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks cowboys... "now I have seen the light"

Yeah, so I am riding right? and suddenly I hear "clank!" and I am like "what the &^%@? I look back and nothing. I thought I dropped something. Then I get home and I put the cover back on the suicide-machine and what do I see? the freaking muffler hanging by itself!! the bracket broke off! How? NO CLUE! So I thought it would be cheap to fix...to my surprise the thing is welded on to the muffler....the price of it? $426.change I am not in the mood. I like it stock.....for now.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
There was a recall for that particular defect. Not sure if it was the 03's or the 04's though

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Huh! interesting.... let's hope the front wheel doesn't fall off! But don't get me wrong though...I like those extra CC's.

·
Registered
311 Posts
same thing happened to me brother!! except my can fell clean off... road the sumbitch home with straight headers lol.

i actually fabricated a new bracket out of a inche n a half stipe of aluiminum.. takes a lil time n patients but its a CHEAP easy fix!

·
Registered
503 Posts
set my rev limiter to 13k, about where max power is. Still leaves 2 1/2k as over rev that way.
works for me, but each to their own....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts