Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I did look it up on the search but did not find the answer and I am new to the ZX6Rs.

So my idle is at 2k, I know the idle adjustment knob is the left hand side by the fairings per the service manual but it doesn't tell me which way to turn. I want to lower the idle and I messed with it a bit but it did not move up or down regardless of the way I turned the knob.

So my question is:

To lower the idle, do I turn the knob to clockwise or counterclockwise? Thanks ahead of time and forgive my lack of experience

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could adjust it while the bike is on.
The bike is a 2013. I had the bike running on idle, it was at 2k, I turned the knob like three full revolutions clockwise and nothing happened. Tried it three full revolutions counterclockwise and the rpms didn't change. You have a 2013, which way (CW or CCW) to lower the idle? Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 2013, and you need to turn the knob CW to increase the idle, and CCW to decrease the idle. Maybe your idle adjuster is stripped. You should have noticed a change in the idle, after turning it three full rotations. I only had to turn my adjuster a half turn to notice a change in the idle.:O

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Yea if your idle didn't adjust with that many rotations, something's wrong. I changed my idle like 200 RPMs because it was stalling and I only had to turn it like an 8th of a turn. If that. Can't remember which direction though.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
it should not take much to adjust idle, if you did 3 full rotations something is wrong. you positive your twisting the right knob?

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I think its clockwise to increase, counterclockwise to decrease rpm's looking from the clutch lever side. It responds to the slightest turn. A whole turn sounds extreme.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Counter clockwise to decrease clockwise to increase . May have to replace idle knob/and or screw if you're turning and it's not moving at all

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
or perhaps there is no free play in the throttle cables and the idle adjuster is not even touching the idle stop.......

add some free play to the throttle cable and try again

·
Registered
393 Posts
I believe you turn the knob left (counter-clockwise) to lower the idle.

If you're turning the idle adjust knob and nothing is happening, the cable(connected to the inside of that knob) could be damaged and broken. Give the knob a very light pull. You may be surprised to see it slide right out. lol

That it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice thread revival :)

When I got the bike, the idle was running high so I lowered the idle but didn't do so when the bike was warm so the idle didn't change. Once the bike was warm, the bike would just shut off and that was because my dumbass had turned the idle screw CCW to the point it wasn't even working anymore. I tugged it a bit and it came right off. I put it back on, screwed it CW and it's back to normal now. And yes, a slight 1/4 turn should be enough to see a change in idle speed.

Thanks for all the replies, hopes this can help others in the future

1 - 13 of 13 Posts