Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Help,which helmet to choose?

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  spiderman636 
#1 ·
Wich helmet to choose for street,and travel with little wind noise as possible and the possibility that for r motorcycle . I have some turing hemet and its not for my zx6r and traveling at a speed of 200kmh :O .

#2 ·
I understand you're new to ZX6R website, but have you try to use the "SEARCH" bar in the top right corner? There's already a few threads that talks about all kinds of helmets and the answer you're looking for might be in there.

I don't mean to be an ass but do some research here first before you open a thread that's been talked about over & over.

#3 · (Edited)
I tried but could not find what I'm interested,if you can find me on what you had in mind, I would be grateful. Because when I typed in search of anything sensible did not come out. Tnx

I've been looking on the internet ,could not find what I'm interested. because I wanted to hear your personal opinion and suggestions. What else serve forums, but to discuss various topics.

#4 ·
No helmet, not even Arai, will protect your hrearing when travelling over 100kmh for longer periods of time.

You will have to wear hearing protection. Either cheap disposable foam cones or something custom made where you could even change the inserts to more or less noise reduction.

Personally, I'm using comply foam with my in ear headphones. I can still hear my surroundings, hear things clearly through the scala intercom past 80kmh and don't have to crank up the volume on my music.

Fact is, riding sportbike (especially if it has a louder exhaust) actually requires hearing protection. Helmets are not enough, no matter which type or brand.

#5 ·
Yes i know that,but I want to hear the personal opinions of the people who wore helmets with a minimum of noise and what are compared to the previous one, I see that Schubert has the most effective. And which model would you recommend, for example, up to $ 400 and that the race helmet (not racing,for the track,but the closest it for the price that I wrote)

#6 ·
Helmets that are designed for racing offer little noise reduction. They are made to be lighter and with greater air flow. The air flow at 200km/hr is pretty high creating alot of noise.
If you want a quieter helmet you will have to move down the line to the lower end helmets. They are quieter and usually made for more of a touring aspect.

A true race helmet you will not find for $400 but you can find a good one that may help reduce the noise a little. I personally like the AVG line of helmets and of course Arai.

I am not sure of what models they may have in your area for each but a quick search on their website would definitely help.

Sorry I could not be of more help on exact models but i hope i shed some light on race helmets.

Helmets are a very individual thing and should be tried on for fit and comfort.

Good luck!

#7 ·
Thank you bro, I know it for racing helmets that do not have any protection from the noise, but I'm thinking of something in between(,and need someone to a recommendation from personal experience(and as a long-time experienced driver). Because I know myself to surf the internet :)

#9 ·
My 1st helmet was a $150 Marushin777. Great fit, looked cool but was wearing down after 1yrs of use. Helmet was shaking from side to side at that point.

Only other helmet that fit me size wise (xxs) was the Shoei RF1000. Bought that for $200 on closeout since the RF1100 was already out for 2yrs by then.

2013 I replaced the RF1000 with a RF1100 since I still couldn't find any other brand that would fit me that well. Even Arai wasn't perfect which it should have been in order for me to justify spending double the money.

So i bought a discontinued colour/size of the RF1100 for around $250. Nice thing with Shoei is that they have 5 different shell sizes compared to the common 3 shells. So my tiny head won't look like a blown up alien helmet like it was the case with joe rocket, scorpion, HJC and many others.
Also within shoei's shell size you can go up or down in the interioir padding since even the headliner is removable now. So i could buy the helmet in small and just order the XXS pads to make it fit.

In general the RF (XR in Europe) series is a sporty helmet but not as racy as a X twelve which people say is a lot noisier to promote airflow.

#11 ·
The quietest helmet on the market is the Schuberth C3Pro. If you want quiet, that is your helmet.

With that said, whereever you get your helmet, make sure you can return it. Much like ILean2Much and others have stated, you have to make sure it fits your head. I recently bought the Icon Airmada series helmet for $275 in one size larger and it still didn't fit right. Found out the Airmada was made for long oval heads while I have a more round head. Just didn't fit right so the most important thing is going to be the fit, first and foremost, and everything else is secondary.

#12 ·
My current helmet is a scorpion exo 500 and I love it. I have an aftermarket exhaust that is pretty loud and I can ride for hours without the noise being too loud. I don't ride fast all the time, but even cruising at 80mph the noise is not an issue.

#16 ·
Buy a full face helmet that fits you and costs more than $200 and you will be fine!

It's like asking what's everyone's favorite ice cream brand. You will hear everything form Breyers, Haagen Dazs, Parlour down to what flavour is the best. It's all about what you like and what fits your budget.

If someone was to tell you to spend $800 on an Arai and you find out it gives you headaches and pressure points, then you come back crying here, blaming that person since there is no return on helmets.
Can't make the decision for you. It's as helpful as going on youtube and watching all those revzilla and STG product videos.

#18 ·
STG still has bell helmets on closeout. Buy one. Great helmet at that price point. If all of the opinions aren't helping call STG and ask them.

Reactions: Aubrey and kimura
#19 ·
+1 I bought my RS-1 last year from them. The helmet has about 8K worth of riding miles. The noise level isn't bad at all, but I ride with ear plugs most of the time. The fit was great as they sell pads in different mm measurements to ensure a great fit. All the parts are easily removable and replaceable. Email STG and they will be glad to help you out. GL

#21 ·
+1 on the scorpion helmets. Im happy with mine. You can always find the scorpion helmets on closeouts too, if your on a budget. Mines very comfortable. Before i knew anything about bikes or got my license even, i went cheap and got a Speed and Strength SS700 go for broke helmet. It was cheap and it felt cheap and i made the mistake of not trying it on and just ordering it online. I used it for a couple weeks and then got the scorpion and the quality felt night/day. Go try some on/call up these gear experts - thats their job theyll help you. Just go for a reputable brand name helmet. My friend tried to save a few bucks and ordered some crap ebay thing, i dont even want to call it a helmet.

#22 ·
Your probably asking in the wrong forum if you want the ultimate in quiet helmets discussion. Your probably going to get better feed back in a forum for touring bikes or sport touring bikes. Most of the folks on here are wearing either less expensive helmets that while providing protection do not have the absolute best materials or designs. Or, they are wearing top end racing helmets. These are generally going to be fairly loud due to the amount of ventilation they have designed into them.

I ride Shoei and have used the RF-1000, RF-1100 and RF-1200. All excellent helmets but I wouldn't call any of them exceptionally quiet. The Bell helmets that have been suggested are some of the louder helmets out there if you read the reviews of them or try them. The Star in particular flows a massive amount of air and that equals noise.

You want to be looking for something like the Arai Defiant or the Schuberth helmets if quiet is you key criteria. I've been told some of the Nolan helmets are very quiet as well but can't speak from any experience with them.

And as said, fit is critical to quiet. The helmet needs a tight fitting neck roll which extends up around your jaw as far as possible.

#23 ·
If reducing wind noise is your number one concern I would suggest taking a look at Schubert helmets.

#24 · (Edited)
If you are going to buy a more expensive helmet because you are concerned about noise then personally I'd say your priorities are a bit odd. Buy a helmet on close out that protects your head well. Like a bell and put in earplugs. Problem solved.

Reactions: kimura
#26 · (Edited)
I've been using a Bell Vortex for two years. I ride EVERY day, rain or shine here in SoCal. My Bell Vortex has even hit the deck a few times during a couple low sides for various reasons. Great everyday helmet. Not the most expensive helmet so you'll get snubbed by the Shoei and Arai crowd. Meh, fuck em. Me and my Bell Vortex are out riding while their more expensive shit collects dust waiting for a sunny day.

#27 ·
I watched this thread because I also am interested in a quiet helmet. I commute on the bike most days and earplugs do NOT stay in my ears. My current helmet doesn't fit with earbuds.

I'll check out the models mentioned here, as lightweight and quiet would be my top two criteria. Hopefully I can find something that will fit with earbuds and not break the bank.

#28 ·
How do your ear Buds make your helmet not fit. If a tiny ass ear bud that's barely outside your ear is making the difference in getting your helmet on I'm gonna say your helmet doesn't fit regardless

Reactions: WendalSnipes
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.