Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off sorry about the book. Anyways, I purchased my first bike (2003 zx6r) a few weeks ago. The bike definitely needs some tuning up. I'm making this post to see if anyone near or in the South East Iowa region would mind helping me work on my bike. I can travel to you and provide some money for your time and knowledge. I really don't want to take it to a shop for two main reasons. 1) I'm not trying to break my bank account any more than I already have. 2) I would like to learn about the bike (something a shop probably won't let me do) for future reference and personal enjoyment. My bike needs: a coolant flush, brake fluid changed, my cct replaced with a manual one, air filter upgrade, new spark plugs installed. I also need help with changing my front sprocket... Took my bike to a shop that quoted me $30 on swapping my sprockets and chain. Walked out with a rear sprocket and chain and -$70. Said they couldn't get it off. Also I have 2 wheels with tires ready to take the place of the ones already on it. And just a check to look over the bike. I need a valve inspec/adj as well but was gonna leave that for a shop. Helping me with any of these would be greatly appreciated. My schedule is very flexible. As said before I will travel to you and give you some money for your time.
Also if you have suggestions for decently priced shops to take my bike to as well I wouldn't mind incase I can't find any help.

P.S. Beer supplied as well.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Everything you mentioned is something you could plausibly do. The service manual is on here and you might need to buy some tools but it's a great investment. As 40 said, there's also a ton of YT videos that will help. But if don't feel comfortable, hopefully someone can help you.

Ps, valves are the only things on your list I wouldn't touch

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't really have the tools is one thing. Also I wouldn't consider myself the most mechanically inclined person. I'm a hands on learner. I don't really feel comfortable until I have been shown how to do it. I guess the main thing is this damn front sprocket. I don't have the tools to get it off if a shop couldn't do it. Just figured I could hit that and some of the other basics while I'm at it.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Don't really have the tools is one thing. Also I wouldn't consider myself the most mechanically inclined person. I'm a hands on learner. I don't really feel comfortable until I have been shown how to do it. I guess the main thing is this damn front sprocket. I don't have the tools to get it off if a shop couldn't do it. Just figured I could hit that and some of the other basics while I'm at it.
I, too, am not mechanically inclined but have started to do some things and this forum has been extremely helpful and patient with everything. With that said, I'm sure someone will e able to help

·
Registered
26 Posts
hey im in des moines iowa and i enjoy working on my own bikes also and learning things myself, mines in a mess right now but maybe we can help each other out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts