Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys!
Can any of you help a lady rider out? I bought my J model ZX6 last December, it's recently developed an intermitant problem when running at between 80 & 90 mph in top, occasionally it feels as if the clutch has been suddenly pulled in and realeased or as if it has dropped out of gear and back in again, on some occasions it is bad enough to feel as if something has momentarily seized and released. This only lasts for a second or two but it can be quite violent, then the bike runs normally. We've checked the clutch and gears, set the carbs, and checked the valve clearences, as yet we can't find a problem, has any one else come across any thing similar? its got every one scratching their heads here! :O

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Wow.
Ive not heard of that before, but hang tight, someone around
here will be able to help out Im sure.

Welcome out to the family in the zone.
Its good to have you here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, found the zone when trolling the internet to try and find any answers. Bikes just about kit form at the moment, and due to take it to Scotland beginning September :-(

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi!
Thanks for the suggestion engine is now all over garage floor lol! all the clutch plates look fine, all we've found is that we need 1 new valve shim, next job is to take gearbox to bits :O we're still confused! no obvious reason for it, and it doesn't do it all the time - frightened our mechanic friend when it cought him out on a test ride to try and identify the problem though:)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Do the engine rpm's rapidly increase, but give no drive just exactly like the clutch is pulled in a bit? If so, it might be as simple as a bit of clutch slip which can be caused by clutch springs that have gone off, sticking pressure plate, not enough cable slack etc.

Simple stuff like chain and sprockets in good shape?

good luck

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm actually thinking it COULD be something momentarily killing the ignition circuit like a short somewhere! That would kind of give some of the immediate symptons you're getting and at the speeds you're doing when it happens, would certainly be quite alarming too when it kicked in again. It could even account for the clonking noises too as the drive train would be under strain when firing back up again.

Or i could be WAY off the mark!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
hi, thanks for the suggestion, we think that if it was clutch slip it would do it all the time, but it doesn't, also the plates look fine, as does the rest of the engine, nothing in the oil and no chips out of the gears, also on occasions it's like someone puts the breaks on at full speed, so you are thrown forward, then the bike carries on as though nothing has happened. We thought that we had sorted it, a few weeks ago, cleaned the air filter, put new plugs in, I rode it 200 miles straight after, then another 180+ and on a number of shorter runs - no problems, Then Wednesday went out on a local run and it started again, Thursday went 2 up to the next town 20 miles no problems, Friday husband and I went back to the next town 2 up to collect his bike from servicing and it did it 3 times on way there, just like some one plulled clutch in and the released it (all within 20 miles) and 2 times on way back 1st time like engine turned off then on again, bad enough to force me forward, When our friend rode it a few hours after (he's an ex bike racer) he thought that the engine had seized, was about to reach for the clutch and the fault had cleared and the rest of his ride was normal! thats why we're struggling, to date we've stripped the engine down and all looks normal - we're open to suggestion:banghead:confused

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have the j1, you've checked the fuel cause once did it mine but the prob was fuel setting..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, emisions check did come out that it is running lean. Apparently before I bought it, it had had a Quill can on but has standard can on now, we did reset the carbs and timing first time round

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Your descriptions are a bit confusing. Acting like clutch slippage ["occasionally it feels as if the clutch has been suddenly pulled in and realeased or as if it has dropped out of gear and back in again"] and acting like engine siezure ["he thought that the engine had seized, was about to reach for the clutch" ]are at complete opposite to each other.

When it does it do the RPM's rise or fall?

Does it do it when just cruising or only when accelerating?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I guess youve look at the chain correct tension? How about an electric proplem with the engine kill switch!!! i rekon it could cause the problem, if the engine is killed and fired up again as the wheels will still be rolling to fire up the motor!!! have a look at the engine kill switch And please ride carefullly and stay safe. All the best.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i THINK the clutch cable needs to be loosened a little, there is an adjustment for the cable next to the clutch cover, it should take 2 12mm wrenches, you should try and back it off a little, It sounds to me like its too tight and isnt fully releasing, which causes slipping under a load

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Steve! I know it sounds confusing, but the problem does manifest in two different ways, the milder version can be replacated by quickly pulling the clutch in and releasing. The more severe version of the problem actualy slams you forward as though somthing has either seized or jammed then suddenly released.But then the biker just carries on running normally.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Ginger! Not riding any where at the moment :( as the engine is in very neat little piles on the garage floor!:down:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Crochrckttl, thanks for the suggestion, gears looks fine, no rounded teeth or anything missing, nothing in the oil either, whole engine is looking fine upto now, carbs have been taken away to have valves checked and set up, clutch basket going to be dismantled and checked tomorrow. All in all considering done 20,000 mile engine very clean, no signs of anything to give the problem:confused

·
Registered
503 Posts
Still sounds like 'leccy troubles to me, kill switch would be first place i'd look too. Could be something as simple as a loose connection......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Lee, well we've just finished checking the gears and clutch, the lads are just putting them back together, all looks sound so we know the engines not going to seize on me :) I'll mention the kill switch to them but before we stripped it down him in doors had a check round for loose wires etc and said all seemed ok and kill switch seemed to be working ok, but wiring might be next thing to check out, I'll be getting withdrawal symptoms soon, just pleased that it's too wet to ride at mo.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts