Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently blew my motor and need to drop it from the bike. I'm having some trouble getting the lower mounting bolt out, have a very difficult time turning it, and am already starting to strip the threads. So far been following steps from the manual and still no luck. Tried heating it, and using lubricant as well. Any other tips/tricks for pulling the engine are appreciated as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Recently blew my motor and need to drop it from the bike. I'm having some trouble getting the lower mounting bolt out, have a very difficult time turning it, and am already starting to strip the threads. So far been following steps from the manual and still no luck. Tried heating it, and using lubricant as well. Any other tips/tricks for pulling the engine are appreciated as well. Thanks!
Use an impact to take the nut off the left side. Then you back off the bolt (which is an allen head) to release the adjuster bushing which clamps the engine in the frame. Then you just slide the bolt out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use an impact to take the nut off the left side. Then you back off the bolt (which is an allen head) to release the adjuster bushing which clamps the engine in the frame. Then you just slide the bolt out.

So I have the nut on the left side off already. When you say back off the bolt (Allen head), do you mean clockwise or counterclockwise? In the manual it says clockwise to remove the engine and counterclockwise to re-install it. We can’t get it to turn either way

·
Registered
698 Posts
So I have the nut on the left side off already. When you say back off the bolt (Allen head), do you mean clockwise or counterclockwise? In the manual it says clockwise to remove the engine and counterclockwise to re-install it. We can’t get it to turn either way
It has to be spun clockwise to loosen it. You may need to remove the bolt so you can install a larger allen key onto the adjuster bushing so you dont fuck the bolt up. Clean the threads on the adjuster so it will spin into the engine easier. If you take the bolt out, stick a larger allen socket on the adjuster, and smack it with a hammer on the end, that may help loosen the threads. Dont fuckin heat it up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
ARE THE BOLTS BINDING?

How are you holding the bike/engine up?

To remove the engine..you should have a jack under the engine and a stand holding up the rest of the bike. You need to take the engine weight off the frame..
AND
...lifting the engine just a tiny bit can help if the bolt its binding.

I had to do this on my 03 636 to get the locknut off...and thepound the LOOONG bolt out. even with the engine weight off the the bolt front lift it can be difficult...

giving the bolt a good whack with a hammer can help too

1 - 5 of 5 Posts