Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi boys and gals,
I'm in need of help. So I have my pride and joy 2009 zx6r R9f. Went out for a ride. And after 30 miles the display goes blank. The Rev counter stops working and the bike eventually cuts out. I pull over, take the battery out and leave it on charge over night. , the volt reading was 11.11 and amps 0.44. So it charges over night. Next day it says 13.77 volts and 0.44 amps. I put the battery back in the bike. It starts first time. Seems to run fine. Then after 9 miles same again. Cuts out and put battery in charger and it's down to 11.77 volts and 0.44 amps.
Any ideas ????? I'm really stuck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The regulator rectifier was replaced under warranty a few years back. So I'm hoping it's not that. I will check out the stator , any ideas on cost of a new one if its that ? Oh and thank you for the reply. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Pretty nearly certain that it's the stator. Went through the same scenario with my '09. Factory replaced the R/R, the stator went south about a year later.

Cost for the OEM stator itself, is about $290 USD.

Rick's makes a unit that will fit, which is about 60% of the cost.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
The regulator rectifier was replaced under warranty a few years back. So I'm hoping it's not that. I will check out the stator , any ideas on cost of a new one if its that ? Oh and thank you for the reply. Much appreciated.

Doesn't matter. I never had a problem with my original reg, but Kawi replaced it under warranty.

A few years later the replaced piece died on me, at the track. I had the exact same symptoms .... no gauges, bike shuts off, etc.

Kawi is still obligated to replace your regulator if it's not working, even after the recall.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
If a freshly charged battery is dieing in the first 9 miles of the ride, then it's most likely a bad battery (it should last longer than that even with charging system issues).

Test each item (battery, stator, regulator/rectifier) separately to find out which one is the actual culprit. The testing procedures are in the service manual, which you can download here: http://zx6r.com/service-manuals/31769-09-2012-zx6r-race-kit-manual.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I've looked up how to check a stator online. Checked my stator and although it said the resistance was right it wasn't right when the bike was running. , I took off the cover and pretty obvious the stator was burnt out. I've put a pic below. Gonna have it repaired for around £75-£80. And hopefully this will solve the problem. Doesn't help that I took the wrong cover off to start with and snapped a cog coming off the starter motor trying to put the cover back on. More expense but I should be able to fix it. Pics below.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all,
Just a quick update on my bike. I've taken the stator off and sent it away. I've managed to find a uk company in Wiltshire that repairs and re-wires the stators. £83 inc return delivery. They take it apart re-wire and replace all leads. Roughly 5 day turnaround service. Called the chap at the shop and he was really friendly and said that the stators going on zx6rs 2006 onwards is quite a common occurrence at the minute. So much so he hasn't got one on the shelf otherwise he would do a swap service. ( your broken one for a repaired one) there's a 12 month guarantee on the work also. I have out his website below (hope that's allowed) as he does all makes and is a third of the price of replacing new. Home
So instead of costing me £80 for diagnosis £260 for parts and then fitting on top probably £160 £500 total it cost me £83 for stator and £10 on multimeter. Bonus.
Good stuff. Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts