Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Zx6r, 2016 Focus RS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am fairly new to the street bike scene (coming from dirtbikes) I just recently bought a 2008 zx6r. I got a pretty good deal on it as it is missing 3rd and 4th gear. Just curious as to what exact parts I need to fix this issue (I was told just the two gears minimum) I feel like I've looked everywhere, getting ranges from $200-$1000. Just need help and advice. The problem occurs when shifting from 2nd to 3rd once you try to get on the gas, it pops back into 2nd, and if you try to shift to 4th, it pops into 3rd, which then pops into 2nd. 1,2,5,6 all work fine. Any help would be great thank you.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Gearbox Rebuilds are never something you can Guestimate before youv'e got it apart.
Your already tying to head down the wrong road regarding the possible cause of it not staying in Gear.
Selectors play a huge part in keeping any Gear engaged and it's highly recommended to replace all 3 whilst in there for starters then proceed to inspect and replace any Gears that have been effected by it popping out.

Depending on how many Miles the Bike has done you might be looking at a new Oil Pump especially if there's been Gearbox munching residue through it !

Whilst it's out of the Frame Valce clearances are easier to carry out depending on service history.
Clutch condition, Do the Plates need replacing.
New Gaskets & Seals.

You may find your "Pretty Good Deal" starts to swing the other way, It Soon adds up especially if you have to get someone else to carry out the repair..:confused:

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
At north of $125 per gear, and the likelihood of needing atleast 5 of them, plus the shifter forks and likely the shift drum at about $100 each on the shift forks and $165 on the drum assembly, plus all the necessary gaskets, seals and fluids and of course you are highly likely to need a new oil pump......... they wear out without catastrophic failures and with these failures (like you transmission littering it with metal) you for sure should replace it too!
You are easily over $1200 into parts alone
then you still need to pull the engine, split the cases and actually do the work

as said above, that "pretty good deal" looks like a money pit unless you stole it and the body is flawless.........

Reactions: KevA and RJ2112
1 - 4 of 4 Posts