Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im down to choosing one of this 2 bikes. I'm super undecided because one its a 2013 model with ONLY 800 miles and the other one is a newer model for 2016 with 6.4k miles on it. the 2013 is green and the 2016 one is black. I kinda do like the green fairings more. both sellers are willing to sell them at the same price and a really good price as well. ill post the links of the 2 bikes down here. one is newer but more miles and the other is older but only 800. on Kelly blue book the 2016 model has a value of 1k more then the 2013 which is a pretty significant difference. Both models are ABS and have after market exhausts and tail tidy and are in . I dont know what to do. Here are the 2 bikes

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/782100158930453/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/597196224365356/

Help a guy out!!! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
$7K doesn't seem like much of a deal at all......... Even $6k seams high to me..... You can buy a brand new 2018/2019 for a little over $8k still?

but 6400 miles or 800 miles is a non issue if both ridden and treated the same

I'd be more apt to look at the newer one- in 2 or 3 years if you decide to sell it will be worth more............but if you are going to keep it 6-10 years it will be a non issue then get the one you like more and looks like it was treated better.......
the '13 even with only 800 miles is going to need new tires if those are the 7 year old originals!
green one will also need fluids flushed (because even though the ad states he chainged oil/filter annually- I would bet it has never been changed not once yet!- because seriously who is changing oil every 100 miles??? ) green ones exhaust will be loud as fuck as well

I'd keep looking unless they come in the 5's....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I honesly havent seen any other zxr6 under 6k in this condition, the black one i can get for 6k. thank you letting me know about the exhaust. im leaning black even if i always wanted a green ninja

·
Registered
608 Posts
I honesly havent seen any other zxr6 under 6k in this condition, the black one i can get for 6k. thank you letting me know about the exhaust. im leaning black even if i always wanted a green ninja

I think the 2016 for 6k is a great deal. Not 7k though. Like riverszzr said, you’ll get better resale out of the 2016 too if you decide to sell it in a couple years. I think $5k-$5500 is more like it for the 2013. But it is in NYC so that could drive the price up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
I think a savy negotiator with crisp hundos in hand could get it for closer to $5500-$5600 this time of year.....

Nitpick it to death in person then pull out hundos and lay them on the seat and make your offer, cash always ALWAYS is good for some cash off even when they don't want.......

They get those crisp bills in their grimy mitts and it is so hard for them to say no............ I have never once had it fail with this approach

The absolute worst that can happen is they say no and you have to work up til they say yes??? (provided you come armed and with backup so you don't have your cash stolen and your body found come spring after the lakes thaw out)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Dont offend the seller but cash talks. If they have insurance on the bike then a few months of paying insurance will take away all the additional money they can get in the spring. I have kicked myself for holding onto a bike and paying insurance for a year only to realize that any gain had been offset by insurance payments.

Color, I like green, don't like black (my personal preference). If you are going to keep the bike for several years get the color you like. My guess is 800 miles means the bike has sat for long periods of time. I bought a Kymco scooter that was like that and had obviously been sitting for a year or more. Got a good deal but had to buy a $215 fuel pump a year later. O-ring had gone bad from sitting. I would get the bike you love and then get it right and ride it and enjoy. At the end of the day we ride because we like it and are passionate about it. Need a bike that stirs the soul.

I need to go look at motorcycles tomorrow :)

·
Registered
12,652 Posts
The bike with higher miles is more likely to be reliable. 2000 miles a year means it's actually been maintained, even if that just means fuel and motion.

Motion is very important for the health of seals and gaskets that are supposed to move. Fork seals, O rings in chains, rear shock, braking systems (lessor degree)...... The battery only holds up for so long, before it discharges and loses storage capacity.I

Regular use is better than no use. Why anyone would buy a bike and then not ride it at all........ A terrible fare, for a bike.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Regular use is better than no use. Why anyone would buy a bike and then not ride it at all........ A terrible fare, for a bike.
While I would generally agree with this, the 'old' bike is only 6 years old and not 20. If it was garage kept then it probably will have no more issues than the other one. Honestly, both are so low mileage that I would go with whichever one is the better deal, price-wise and not worry about the miles either way.

As for the not riding thing, lots of people buy the fantasy and then discover that riding isn't for them or life takes over and they never find time or it turns out that riding regularly takes more commitment than they realized, etc. Places with winter also end up with lots of barely used bikes because the short riding season exacerbates all the problems I listed. I regularly see early 2000's GSXR's (especially the 1000's) with less than 20,000km on the clock for sale. Almost 20 years old and haven't even made it to the first valve check interval...

Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys ended up getting the 2013 model. That green just looks so good. Plus a Kawi IMO needs to be GREEN! The bike looks and rides like its brand new. I honestly got a great deal on it. The owner was also a super nice and reliable guy. Im very happy......Pics coming soon !!!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!

If you don't like the exhaust PM me. I have an exhaust off of a 2013 will make you a super deal ons - $5 plus shipping. :) Trying to clean out the basement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts