Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help me buy good Stands and Damper please!

Hey everyone, I looked for suggestions in the threads but I just couldn't find some direct recommendations. sorry if this exists somewhere else. just let me know and i'll gladly go look there and take this down.

I'm looking for a Steering Damper for my '08. I'm a relatively new rider and i'd really appreciate any advice that you guys can provide.

I'm also looking for a good set of Motorcycle stands. I've found this set on Amazon, but with only 6 reviews i don't know if it's good or not.:O

Please help!! and Thanks in advance everyone!!!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I'm running scotts damper, very good damper. cant complain...

for stands i would go with something with good quality and last long. Thats a good price but the quality is unknown..

I'm using Moto-D racing stands, they are great. I'm using the racestand version. Great, sturdy and lightweight. 130 shipped for front and rear to your door is a great price. There customer service is also touch notch. Give them a look

Reactions: PowerGroove

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Typical steering dampeners are

GPR
Scott's
Ohlins

They're like tires, personal preference. Do your own research and decide what amount of adjustability and price you favor.

I've never heard of Venom but their product reviews across Amazon look favorable. Pitbull stands seem to be the motorcycles agreed upon highest quality of stands.

If you get those Venom stands, reply back and tell me how you like them. I'm looking for pitbull stands and that's probably about what I'll spend for used.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Damper* (A dampener isn't something that exists :D )

Unless you're track riding or riding really hard the NEED for a damper isn't really much. If you're getting tank slappers it's likely that you have a tire or suspension issue. But... if you feel the need... Scott dampers are good for the money. And ya can't go wrong with GPR.

The best stands money can buy are Pit Bull. Spend the money. They're worth it. However there are many good stands on the market. I don't know if I'd buy some off brand though simply because of price. Ask yourself "do I trust some cheap ass stands to hold my baby up?"

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Unless you're track riding or riding really hard the NEED for a damper isn't really much. If you're getting tank slappers it's likely that you have a tire or suspension issue.
Agreed, and my response to this thread was going to be me asking you why you think you need one.

Never had any tank slappers with my 06 at the track that were anything out of the ordinary...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed, and my response to this thread was going to be me asking you why you think you need one.

Never had any tank slappers with my 06 at the track that were anything out of the ordinary...
The reason i'm looking for on is it was recommended to me after I talked to a few fellow riders in the area about the bike feeling not completely planted while I was on the highway. None of them own ZX6R's but some of them suggested that it would help with not feeling like one little movement was gonna make me wipe out.

Sorry, I'm still pretty new :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damper* (A dampener isn't something that exists :D )The best stands money can buy are Pit Bull. Spend the money. They're worth it. However there are many good stands on the market. I don't know if I'd buy some off brand though simply because of price. Ask yourself "do I trust some cheap ass stands to hold my baby up?"
Those "venom stands" were just what show up when i search Amazon, and I feel like I've been to a million different websites that claim their stands are the best so, I figured I'd post a link to make sure I made it clear the type of item i was looking for, and on the off chance anyone had bought them with good results :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm running scotts damper, very good damper. cant complain...

for stands i would go with something with good quality and last long. Thats a good price but the quality is unknown..

I'm using Moto-D racing stands, they are great. I'm using the racestand version. Great, sturdy and lightweight. 130 shipped for front and rear to your door is a great price. There customer service is also touch notch. Give them a look
I'm seeing ~$130 each for their pro series stands is that what you meant? cause that seems expensive. (just asking for clairification :) )

·
Registered
2,214 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,322 Posts
The reason i'm looking for on is it was recommended to me after I talked to a few fellow riders in the area about the bike feeling not completely planted while I was on the highway. None of them own ZX6R's but some of them suggested that it would help with not feeling like one little movement was gonna make me wipe out.

Sorry, I'm still pretty new :D
A few things:

The bike going in a straight line should be pretty damn stable. Might grab a service manual (in the maintenance section) and set your suspension to factory. Then modify as needed. Or just pay a guy to set it up for you. A qualified shop should be able to set a baseline.

You might be gripping the bars too tight. While moving the front wheel will be constantly moving around a bit. If you hold on too tight you amplify this effect.

Pop some popcorn and crack a beer then throw this on:
Twistof.the.Wrist.II - YouTube

One question:
Does rolling on help?

If none of that works, there may be something wrong. But try the above first.

Also. Pitbull.
Ey3

Reactions: OtownRolla

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One question:
Does rolling on help?

If none of that works, there may be something wrong. But try the above first.

Also. Pitbull.
Ey3
In response to your question, yes rolling on does help, my problem then becomes that I'm very quickly, going very fast...

I was originally recommended to watch that video, and read the associated ebook, and I started but then <insert crappy excuse here>, so i haven't gotten around to going back and finishing/re-watching it

I do think you're onto something with the gripping too tightly though.:O

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
In response to your question, yes rolling on does help, my problem then becomes that I'm very quickly, going very fast...

I was originally recommended to watch that video, and read the associated ebook, and I started but then <insert crappy excuse here>, so i haven't gotten around to going back and finishing/re-watching it

you gotta be loose all around when it comes to bike riding. any lil sudden unwanted input will throw the bike off.

Reactions: OtownRolla

·
Registered
442 Posts
As far as dampers go I don't have much insight to offer. I still have the factory one on my 09 that hasn't been sent to get revalved which by accounts from forum members, makes it basically a decoration piece. Buttttttttt.....if sent off and revalved or a none factory one would serve a lot more purpose than just decoration. But guess it all goes to what you want from it and what you're looking to do. Most people will tend to say unless you are tracking, it doesn't seem to be well worth it.

Stands wise, I have a set of MOTO-D stands (front and rear). While they have been great, I wish I would have spent the extra money for a set of Pitbull stands. Mainly a head lift front stand. The rear stand is great, but a nice head lift stand IMO is ideal. GL

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey. Please don't take this the wrong way but if you are this new to biking it very unlikely you'll need a steering damper.
Better spend some time getting your suspension set back to stock and tweaking it based on a setup guide.
There will be plenty of guides on here or on line.
Check tyre pressure aswell...can affect the feel of the bike a lot

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Yes, he is.

Being relaxed on the bars is essential. If you're super-tight on the bars, you're exacerbating suspension drama from uneven surfaces, and basically magnifying it with unnecessary input.

Get tank grips (sorry if you've already got them... didn't do a great job of reading through) and use them to grip the tank with your knees. Use your core (you should feel your core stiffen up) and relax your upper body, especially your arms. And learn to deal with not letting your SRs (you'll have to deal with ToTW2 to know more about this) scare you into gripping too tightly.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I wouldn't trust those Venom stands. They look just like some of the other stands that I have seen fail for people and their bikes ended up on the ground. Pit Bull stands are always a great option.

If you need something cheaper, I have been using the Harbor Freight aluminum rear stand for a long time and it works great: Low Profile Rear Motorcycle Spool Stand

·
Super Moderator
13,322 Posts

That it gets better with a roll on indicates to me that it probably is not a mechanical failure with the bike. I would expect that to get worse with speed.

Typically a steering damper (I think. I don't actually run one. I'm not that fast) is most helpful when the head shake is due to hard acceleration. Think exiting a slow corner just coming into the power band. As the front starts to lift the contact patch will get smaller and more irregular. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong) this has two solutions roll on and lift that bitch, or roll off which can have other negative effects (running wide, instability etc) or a steering damper.

As far as gripping the bars. Something Aaron said which really helped me was pretend the grips are raw eggs. That's about how much grip you "need".

I wasn't trying to sound like an ass earlier. Sorry if I did. I'm on enough ignore lists as it is.

Ride safe man!

Ey3

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As far as gripping the bars. Something Aaron said which really helped me was pretend the grips are raw eggs. That's about how much grip you "need".

I wasn't trying to sound like an ass earlier. Sorry if I did. I'm on enough ignore lists as it is.

Ride safe man!

Ey3
I don't think you or anyone who has responded to any of my posts on this forum so far has been an ass. Thanks to everyone for the help you all have provided :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts