Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 636 and lost my only key. Wishing I'd taken the time to make a copy! anyway, took it to the largest locksmith in my area and he couldn't make a key fo me. :confused:banghead

Does anyone know what the easiest way for me to get a key made for this bike? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yeah, go to a kawi dealership with your registration....

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
^ waht he said. if you have the key # that works too

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most of the keys have a chip in them. The key needs to be registerd to the bike or the bike wont start. So you realy do need to go to a kwaka dealership as they will have to load your new key onto the bikes computer. I have an 05 RR an thats what the manual says anyway.

Good luck and buy two.

·
Registered
397 Posts
ahh, thats bullshit, there isnt a chip in there. I use my spare key all the time and it is just plain metal, no plastic on the key at all. when I first lst my key, I called a locksmith and he came out to my bike and made one for $60

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahh, thats bullshit, there isnt a chip in there. I use my spare key all the time and it is just plain metal, no plastic on the key at all. when I first lst my key, I called a locksmith and he came out to my bike and made one for $60
I took my 05 6r to the freakin locksmith and he could not make a spare key for the ignition. made one for the tank and the seat, but couldn't do it for the ignition! Are you kidding me!!! i'm about to go insane!:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
397 Posts
I took my 05 6r to the freakin locksmith and he could not make a spare key for the ignition. made one for the tank and the seat, but couldn't do it for the ignition! Are you kidding me!!! i'm about to go insane!:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead
:laugh:laugh:laugh Maybe you should have tried another locksmith, that just doesnt make sense, but the best way to do it is to go buy a blank kawi key from the dealer and have him make it out of that. the dude told me it would be easier that way. :rotfl

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
The tank and seat locks have less tumblers than the ignition. If you're gettign a key cut from a barrel, always use the ignition one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, looks like I've finally found the solution, and the solution SUCKS! Had to pull the ignition off of the bike (this includes taking out One Way Bolts) and then take it back to the lock smith. I took it to Kawasaki dealer first but they said they couldn't make a copy, which is what the locksmith told me they would say.

So, do yourselves a favor, make sure you have an extra key or two. It's a pain in the Butt to take that ignition off and then you'll be out at least $60 instead of just ten for getting a copy made in the first place.

Thanks for everybody's input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts