Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the title says, I need help solving this problem. I bought a 95 zx6r and I've ridden it for less than a week. It's my first bike and man I'm enjoying the freedom! However, I can't ride right now due to an issue I'm having with the clutch. The bike starts up fine. It idles nicely and I can Rev it freely in neutral. After it warms up, I put it in first gear and it's still fine; I can also rev it just fine in first gear. THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM KICKS IN. I give it good gas, and as soon as I engage the clutch (release the lever) the bike RPM's immediately fall to zero and the motor turns off. The lights still stays on, but like I said, the motor dies.

ANY help is greatly appreciated!! This is my daily commuter and I need it back asap. I'm driving a car that's ducking the gas out of me like no tomorrow, so once again, please help me in solving this!!!!

My full appreciation,

Gio
1995 Ninja ZX6R

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to bypass the kickstand sensor and see if that does it.. However, I'm not sure about that due to the fact that the bike still remains on and I can rev it freely even after I've clicked it into first gear. I think the kickstand switch automatically shuts the bike of as soon as you click into first gear. Either way, I'll try that!!! Any other suggestions??

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
I believe the bike will let u shift into 1st with the engine running, clutch pulled and kickstand down. But when u let go of the clutch it will then shut off. I'm not 100% sure on that but if that is correct then a faulty kickstand switch could be your problem. Thats where Id start anyway...

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Had this issue when I blew a clutch spring off. It wouldn't start in neutral though unless the clutch was engaged, and I think it would conk out in neutral but not sure. Take the clutch cover off and check the springs (4 of them)

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Had this issue when I blew a clutch spring off. It wouldn't start in neutral though unless the clutch was engaged, and I think it would conk out in neutral but not sure. Take the clutch cover off and check the springs (4 of them)
His bike does start in neutral but stalls as soon as he shifts into first gear. You had a different issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it's my daily commuter, so I'm ready to look at all options to get it running again. I watched a couple of videos on how to bypass the kickstand sensor, so let me give it a try and I'll update you guys on the result. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It's kickstand sensor, works exactly same as my ZX6E / ZZR600E does.

Your best option is to cut the wires off the stand, and tuck them somewhere out the way with a switch attached between them - it's basically a free immobiliser! If some arsehole managed to force the ignition and get the bike started they'd get nowhere due to the standswitch being 'down' (because you've turned your hidden switch 'off') and they attract attention by repeatedly attempting to set off :)

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
His bike does start in neutral but stalls as soon as he shifts into first gear. You had a different issue.
That's why I said "though" lol. If OP jumps the kickstand sensor and it doesn't work, I'd still at least check under the clutch cover to be safe :O

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Wait, it shouldn't be his kickstand sensor tho should it since it doesn't cut off until he lets the clutch out in 1st? Doesn't the kickstand sensor cut it off as soon as you shift into 1st with the clutch still in? (notice I'm asking, not stating as I'm not 100% sure on this)

Reactions: Scorpi0

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
Wait, it shouldn't be his kickstand sensor tho should it since it doesn't cut off until he lets the clutch out in 1st? Doesn't the kickstand sensor cut it off as soon as you shift into 1st with the clutch still in? (notice I'm asking, not stating as I'm not 100% sure on this)
U know what... youre correct. If the kickstand was down, the bike would shut off as soon as u put it in gear. Maybe it works a lil differently on a 95 :O

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So it's not the kickstand switch.. it might be a clutch thing. I'll have to take the clutch apart and check for wear or broken something.. oh, and now it stayed leaking oil. . I turned it on to test it and it started spraying oil from the lowest radiator looking thing. .

·
Registered
347 Posts
I mean, I don't want to come off as bashing, so please don't take this the wrong way....You say it's your first bike and you've had it less than a week...Is it possible that you're just not familiar enough with how to let the clutch out and accelerate from a stop and are stalling out?

When I read the OP, this was my first thought. And seeing as how we've sorted that it's not the Kickstand since it is still running while in first gear.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a '96 zx6r. It WILL start and run in 1st with the clutch in, but as soon as i let the clutch out with the stand down it dies. +1 for the kickstand sensor

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
So it's not the kickstand switch.. it might be a clutch thing. I'll have to take the clutch apart and check for wear or broken something.. oh, and now it stayed leaking oil. . I turned it on to test it and it started spraying oil from the lowest radiator looking thing. .
There is nothing obstructing the wheels, chain or sprockets? They turn freely? Test front wheel and rear wheel for unhindered movement (push it around:))

When you are slowly releasing the clutch do the revs gradually slow down or is it very abrupt?

Have you tried taking off in 2nd gear?

Why pull the clutch apart? If you can select 1st gear when stationary it must be doing something right. Don't jump too far ahead.

You are referring to the service manual?

Suggestion: if you don't know the name of something and are not certain how to describe it, post your question with a picture.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13,338 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I will try the kickstand switch bypass again. Maybe I didn't do it right. As for stalking, it's not that. I stalled or the first couple of times getting a feel for the clutch. I got familiar with the clutch and I rode around without any problems for a week. I really do hope is just the kickstand switch and nothing else.. I wouldn't to have to buy the clutch parts and swap them out, although I will if it's necessary. I will bypass the kickstand switch and have an update today!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Corkoli, when I let the clutch out, the RPM's will abruptly go to zero, unless I pull the clutch in and give it gas to bring the RPM's back up. Yea the bike moves freely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts