Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son-in-law removed his exhaust cables and motor and plugged in servo buddy and now has a check engine light?
I thought the servo buddy was suppose to keep this from happening?

With the the old exhaust motor without the cables had no engine light? The servo buddy was used to get more trunk space.
Now the light won't go away even if he goes back to stock?

Is there a procedure to get this gone or is it a trip to the Dealer? 2022 ZX-6R

·
Registered
258 Posts
It does, mine took about 45 miles before the light went out. There's a couple of reasons it'll do it, but if it was done correctly and with the right SB it'll go out after about a half tank of gas

Reactions: ON1WHL

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Read the code. What does it say?

I think u can disconnect the battery and that will erase the code as well.
We don't have a code reader but did leave the battery disconnected for about 5-10 minutes and that did not work?
He is riding it to see if it will go away after a while? Runs fine just annoying to see the engine light when the servo buddy was suppose to eliminate it?

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's common, as i said it'll usually go away after a half tank...Google it and you'll see how common it is.

You could probably bring it to a local shop and just ask if they can check the code on it too, takes little time and some (not all) will not charge for it.

Otherwise, it's likely the same issue everyone has and it'll rectify itself after a handful of miles like mine did

Reactions: ON1WHL

·
Registered
264 Posts
Is it an actual Servo Buddy or a flea bay special?

The real Servo Buddy should work fine, I installed it when I removed my exhaust cables with no engine lights.

Did he install the Servo Buddy immediately after removing the cables? Maybe he cycled.the key before the Servo Buddy was installed or the Servo Buddy is defective.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it an actual Servo Buddy or a flea bay special?

The real Servo Buddy should work fine, I installed it when I removed my exhaust cables with no engine lights.

Did he install the Servo Buddy immediately after removing the cables? Maybe he cycled.the key before the Servo Buddy was installed or the Servo Buddy is defective.
Servo Buddy ordered from Revzilla
Removed exhaust cables and started bike with OEM servo installed and got no error.
Shut off and Wanted to remove OEM servo to gain the space. Unplugged and installed Servo Buddy.
Started up and had check engine light? Tried to disconnect battery and re-install OEM servo motor but still had engine light?
Disconnected battery for about 10 minutes and re-installed the servo buddy.
Started back up and still has check engine light?
Currently running the bike with light and no performance issues but wonder what the hell happened and want it turned off?
Brand new 2022 so we know its the exhaust servo causing this.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
Do u need a code reader to read check engine lights? On the older bikes u just had the FI light and u can just hold a few buttons down and it would display the code.
Im not too familiar with the newer bikes.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Removed exhaust cables and started bike with OEM servo installed and got no error.
This is the problem. The Servo Buddy needs to be installed before starting the bike if the cables are removed. It doesn't matter if the OEM Servo motor is plugged in or not. The ECU is programmed to monitor the cable movement range and since they were removed the ECU thru the code on the next startup.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is the problem. The Servo Buddy needs to be installed before starting the bike if the cables are removed. It doesn't matter if the OEM Servo motor is plugged in or not. The ECU is programmed to monitor the cable movement range and since they were removed the ECU thru the code on the next startup.
So how can he clear it without going back to the dealer?

·
Registered
264 Posts
So how can he clear it without going back to the dealer?
Tell him to call the dealership and explain the situation. They may be able to offer advice or just drive to the dealership and ask them to check/clear the code.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well we did the 3 rides of 10 minutes or more at 40mph and on the 4th start up the engine light went away!
Went to two dealers and they didn't have the cable for the "new' model? Suspect they didn't want to mess with it?
Any way all good now!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts