Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok soo I recently drove a friends zx6r and fell in love. So I was determined to get one! And I did! Long story short. It is a 97 and I got a killer deal! I found said bike on a local marketplace search. The problem is the bike was a theft recovery and the gentleman I purchased it from wanted a perfect, "brand new" bike so 7 years ago when he reciev3d the bike he completely de-assembled it and started to buy brand new pieces and parts for the bike, over the years gathering everything he needed to make a killer build. (fast forward t years) he wakes up one morning and says to himself "I'm gonna put the bike together today... spreads the machine out on he floor, stands up, looks at the hundreds of pieces, parts, nuts and bolts and says... "yeah, no I'm not" now in my possession I have a beautiful bike that needs built and no clue (very little knowledge) on how to put this thing together. I have tried looking fir a build Manuel if you will. But keep coming up short. Any suggestions on were to find this? Thanking advance and I can't wait to get tis build rolling! 117114145_10159051503643949_7053659367276979585_n.jpg 116879423_10159051504898949_2885414847626235944_n.jpg 116895824_10159051504018949_3176128729443790363_n.jpg 117110033_10159051503923949_2182778871012898675_n.jpg

·
Registered
13,999 Posts
Looking at the pile of parts, it seems like most of the stuff is cosmetic.... The chain and sprockets, I would install for sure. The rest of it, wait a while. It's a lot less stressful riding a bike that you aren't as concerned about. Especially if you're learning.

Make sure it stops well, then make sure it runs well, before making it pretty.

Before you do ANY of that, make sure you will survive any unplanned departures from the bike. Invest in gear. Helmet, jacket, gloves, footwear, pants.

I've crashed in a tee shirt, and corduroy pants. Re-growing skin on your hands, forearms, knees, and feet.... I am familiar with that process.

It takes time to acquire good gear, but it lasts a really long time. I've been using the same jacket since 2001; it's now just my winter jacket, but it's still solid and durable. Gloves last a few years per set. Riding pants are also quite durable.

Any textile gear will survive until it is crashed in. Up to that point, it is indestructible to normal wear and tear.

I ride in gauntlet gloves, over the ankle steel toed boots, armored pants, jacket, helmet, ear plugs, and eye protection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at the pile of parts, it seems like most of the stuff is cosmetic.... The chain and sprockets, I would install for sure. The rest of it, wait a while. It's a lot less stressful riding a bike that you aren't as concerned about. Especially if you're learning.

Make sure it stops well, then make sure it runs well, before making it pretty.

Before you do ANY of that, make sure you will survive any unplanned departures from the bike. Invest in gear. Helmet, jacket, gloves, footwear, pants.

I've crashed in a tee shirt, and corduroy pants. Re-growing skin on your hands, forearms, knees, and feet.... I am familiar with that process.

It takes time to acquire good gear, but it lasts a really long time. I've been using the same jacket since 2001; it's now just my winter jacket, but it's still solid and durable. Gloves last a few years per set. Riding pants are also quite durable.

Any textile gear will survive until it is crashed in. Up to that point, it is indestructible to normal wear and tear.

I ride in gauntlet gloves, over the ankle steel toed boots, armored pants, jacket, helmet, ear plugs, and eye protection.

RJ2112 Thanks for the pdf. that's exactly what I was looking for.. also I don't know if I was miss under stood or it was assumed.but this is not my first bike, just my first build.. I have been riding for several years now and def know the feeling and time spent healing of crashing I totaled my very first bike in a interstate accident caused by a young driver trying to "race" as I was trying to merge and entrance ramp here in Nebraska as he revel and stayed steady with me trying to get on the highway I sped up to merge as my lane was ending and there where many cars behind him he decided to do the same and clipped my rear tire at 95 mph.. resulting in me sliding about 200yrds my airbag jacket deploying and my carbon Sliders on my protective back plate grinding down to nearly nothing.. this crash ended with two broken arms a broken color bone three fractured disk and the memory of seeing that semi nearly miss my head by about 6 inches. believe me you I def ride in very expensive very well rated gear.

p.s. after the wreck I recovered the motorcycle and had it rebuilt as a reminder. now she has 3 national awards.. one with all the chrome is the one that nearly cost me my life.. rest are ones I have picked up over the years.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
If you have any questions, I have taken apart and rebuilt nearly every single piece of the 95-97 zx6r model.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
If anyone makes a comment that mine is not running... they are right but I'm working on it! Lol.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
If anyone makes a comment that mine is not running... they are right but I'm working on it! Lol.

Well........... given how many times you have to take it apart and assemble it, rinse and repeat for each and every issue...... I am not sure you really are the person to offer an advice

Maybe you could just be a cheerleader in the background, given the perceverence to keep beating your head against the same wall time and time again?!?!?!?

If you have any questions, I have taken apart and rebuilt nearly every single piece of the 95-97 zx6r model.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
OP...........

Volar chain and sprockets may be okay on some 30hp pile o cow dung,,,,,,,,,,, but even on your possibly 75hp 600cc inline 4, those things suck ass and won't last more than a few thousand miles, and then the chain will break and possibly take out your engine cases or worse........
Do not run a Volar chain!!!!!!! and their sprockets aren't any better but atleast they really can't damage much nor kill you

Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Well........... given how many times you have to take it apart and assemble it, rinse and repeat for each and every issue...... I am not sure you really are the person to offer an advice

Maybe you could just be a cheerleader in the background, given the perceverence to keep beating your head against the same wall time and time again?!?!?!?
So I assume you never had a stage in your life that you had a difficult time with trial and error or some simple bad luck? I'd say I know this bike and the service manual better than most others know theirs, and to be fair there are very few 95-97 zx6r's on this forum.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
So I assume you never had a stage in your life that you had a difficult time with trial and error or some simple bad luck? I'd say I know this bike and the service manual better than most others know theirs, and to be fair there are very few 95-97 zx6r's on this forum.

What I am saying is, you seem to have to do the same task multiple times every time, even the simple ones....... and often you forgo the good advice and just try what you want and fail, and then do the same shit again hoping for a different result

So I do not think you are the best man for the job of telling anyone how to do something on the motorcycle, any motorcycle.......

and....... I have been mechanically inclined since, forever........ I had great teachers and mentors even before I was 10, hell at age 8 I was already wrenching on cars and motorcycles with one of my parents friends who lived about a block away, who worked as an airline mechanic by day and every night was in the garage or driveway fixing someones car or motorcycle
When it comes to motorcycle stuff, no I have not ever really had a difficult time.........
graduated from a 2 year motorcycle school in sub 6 months
ace all the follow up bullshit classes with barely any effort
and routinely have zero issues with the hundreds of different motorcycles I see every year (other than stupid owners of some of them)

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
What I am saying is, you seem to have to do the same task multiple times every time, even the simple ones....... and often you forgo the good advice and just try what you want and fail, and then do the same shit again hoping for a different result

So I do not think you are the best man for the job of telling anyone how to do something on the motorcycle, any motorcycle.......

and....... I have been mechanically inclined since, forever........ I had great teachers and mentors even before I was 10, hell at age 8 I was already wrenching on cars and motorcycles with one of my parents friends who lived about a block away, who worked as an airline mechanic by day and every night was in the garage or driveway fixing someones car or motorcycle
When it comes to motorcycle stuff, no I have not ever really had a difficult time.........
graduated from a 2 year motorcycle school in sub 6 months
ace all the follow up bullshit classes with barely any effort
and routinely have zero issues with the hundreds of different motorcycles I see every year (other than stupid owners of some of them)
First off, I don't shrug off recommendations, especially within the last few years. Sure, way back in the first few years on this forum I'm sure I made waves and I'm pretty sure I pissed in your cereal, but I didn't know any better. That's what learning is about right? Most of the work I do now besides some stuff that goes into my "build thread" or a question thread are not posted.

You're a mechanic, your job to work on all bikes and do it right. I'm sure you've seen most all issues with the widest range of bikes, but I have seen the very specific problems with this specific bike first hand for 7 years now.

I've been around bikes/cars my whole life too, my dad used to drag race and I helped him wrench. I had an older mustang that I replaced head gaskets on when I was a junior in high school. I have a Mechanical Engineering degree. You don't have to make people feel stupid, either help them out or pass and watch the train wreck.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
First off, I don't shrug off recommendations, especially within the last few years. Sure, way back in the first few years on this forum I'm sure I made waves and I'm pretty sure I pissed in your cereal, but I didn't know any better. That's what learning is about right? Most of the work I do now besides some stuff that goes into my "build thread" or a question thread are not posted.

You're a mechanic, your job to work on all bikes and do it right. I'm sure you've seen most all issues with the widest range of bikes, but I have seen the very specific problems with this specific bike first hand for 7 years now.

I've been around bikes/cars my whole life too, my dad used to drag race and I helped him wrench. I had an older mustang that I replaced head gaskets on when I was a junior in high school. I have a Mechanical Engineering degree. You don't have to make people feel stupid, either help them out or pass and watch the train wreck.

L O fucking L

geesus dude.......

I read your thread about when you had that Mustang, prime example of my statements.......

I read your multiple threads about your zx6, prime example of my statements

How am I making the OP feel stupid?
How am I making you feel stupid?

I mad a statement, a very true statement

As far as help or pass and watch the trainwreck.......... You have alot of trainwrecks I passed on, most people I do try to help until it becomes futile to help or they take the attitude like you just took............

1 - 13 of 13 Posts