Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Helmets for women

4K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Rich T 
#1 ·
Brought my girlfriend to try on helmets.
She said the x-small was to big the youth large was bigger then the x small and the youth medium was way to small. The guy behind the counter didn't know anything.
I switched sizes on him and told him different sizes and he just said the bigger sizes I said were to big.
So I need to know what to look for. Like what to move and shake. How should it feel with her hair?

#2 ·
Each brand will have a different cavity for the riders head. You should try different brands. I can't imagine an XS being too small for someone...it barely encompasses my fist :p

Anyway, try a few different brands in XS and see if any of them fit a little better.

#3 ·
We Re going to a bigger dealer tomorrow. I'm hoping they have a more knowledgeable staff that can actually help.
We tried shoei hjc and icon.
She of course likes the icon designs.
Ive had good luck with hjc. I have an icon now, but I don't know how they actually hold up.
She wants to try and stay away from youth because you can tell they are kids helmets.

#7 ·
Not sure where you are in NJ but you may want to check out Motorcycle Mall, that have a massive selection.

If you can find a Bell that fits and interests you, let me know and I will see what I can do for you for a price.

I am making a broad assumption that she is looking for a 'girly' helmet, here are some options from Bell randing from $110-$250.

#10 ·
If you are going to checkout the RevZilla store in Philly give us a call to find out what inventory we have in the showroom first that she might be interested in. Unfortunately we do not have everything on the website in the store. But they are very good at helping people get fitted in their.
Philadelphia Gear Boutique | RevZilla Navy Yard Location - RevZilla

#12 ·
Yeah, If you guys need help deciding on size, fit, or shape information just give us a call or shoot us an email. That's what we are here for and we can try to help steer you in the right direction, even if it is not something we have in our showroom here that you can try right away. And, if all else fails and all you can try are the high end things like Shoei or Arai let her try those. It can get you a good idea about the shape of her head and what helmet shape to look for, we can use this to help select a helmet in your budget. I.E. if she finds that the Arai Signet Q fits well but thats out of your range we know the Icon Airmada is similarly shaped and may be a good fit.

#14 ·
Make sure you are finding the right head shape! Such as the Arai Signet Q is a "long oval" shape compared to the Arai Corsair V which is "intermediate round" shape.

This is super important! It will give the best fit and avoid any pressure points. I wore a Bell Star (round) for awhile because I didn't know better about helmet head shapes, I ended up crashing and knocked myself out plus got facial/eye bruising! I have not crashed in my Arai but the fitment is extremely noticeable, where the Bell would push against my forehead which left a mark, the Arai I could wear all day.

Good luck! Tell her not all ladies wear pink ;)

#21 ·
The folks at revzilla should know their stuff. That would be my suggestion at this point.

You need to find a size AND shell shape that fits her head.

#23 ·
So she may not get the "this is totally comfortable" right off the bat. Especially if it is her first helmet since the cheek pads will squeeze her face more than she is probably used too. But it shouldn't be painful either. Those of us that are used to it know what to look for in a new helmet. In fact I tried on the X-14 yesterday for about 30 minutes and it was like being in a snug protective cocoon. It was amazing, but my cheeks were super squished and most newer riders would have thought I am nuts probably.

This might be a helpful read for the fitting process:

Motorcycle Helmet Fitment 101 - RevZilla

Just have her focus on the top and how that feels since that has the least break in. Cheek Pads will break in through use.

#30 ·
Anyway, try a few different brands
Definitely try different brands.

My daughter apparently has a "round oval" head, so we could only fit her comfortably and snugly in a (more expensive than we were looking for) Small Arai Quantun X helmet.

Every other helmet was either uncomfortable in Small or too sloppy in Medium.

I'm lucky I have a cheap shape head that fits in an HJC. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.