Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I figured I'd start up a thread for you guys to post up a pick of your favorite personal cranium cover, and for you to give your perspectives on the pros and cons that you've come to discover through ownership. Please attach a pic to each post so everyone can see what you're sporting. There are a lot of helmets out there to choose from, so help out those in search of a new skull saver with your first hand experiences!

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I wear a Scorpion Exo-500 (only pic I have of it):

Bought it because it was reasonably priced, had heard good things about them generally, didn't like my previous two helmets, and heard that they were top-notch in non-fogging shields (which is important in MI).

Oh, and yes, I do ride with that mohawk on my helmet...and no, I don't care if you don't like it :bigthumb:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll start us off. For non track riding I personally went with the AGV 5 continents Valentino Rossi replica. I picked this helmet for a number of reasons. For one, I'm a big fan of motogp, and a big fan of the Doctor. From a visual standpoint, this has always been one of my favorite helmets, and the replica doesn't disappoint. Great quality finish with nice attention to detail. I have gotten more attention from this helmet than any other I have owned. It's definitely not easy to miss (which is great for being seen, not so great for avoiding the popo if you're a heavy wrist twister). You can pick one up new for $220, which I feel is a great price for the quality. The fit is excellent, and provides a good sense of security. Some of the pros and cons I have discovered:

1. It is a race replica helmet, and so the fit is a little more aggressive than some, but it is still comfortable enough to wear for several hours at a time. Some people have complained about it not fitting right around the ears, but I have found that I can wear ear-buds comfortably with no issue.

2. This helmet is very lightweight for it's size. It doesn't fatigue the neck over long journeys. The wind noise lever is quite high however. If you ride on the highway you will need to invest in a set of earplugs, or wear ear-buds.

3. The aerodynamics on this helmet are great when you're facing straight ahead, but not great otherwise. At highway speeds, this helmet catches A LOT of wind when you try to turn your head to check a lane before merging, or look behind you. That is my only gripe.

4. The ventilation is not great at lower speeds. If you live somewhere warm you will sweat in town. At speed it offers decent ventilation and isn't an issue for me.

Disclaimer: I know some of you guys will be thinking "What a douche. Do you think that helmet makes you ride like Valentino"? No, I do not. I wear the helmet because I like it. I do not think I can, nor do I ever attempt to ride like Vale ;)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Bell Star Carbon, because it's light, comfortable and is comparable to the Shoei X12 and Corsair V at a lesser price. Still pricey but by far my favorite helmet I've ever owned.

·
Registered
85 Posts
HJC FG-17 mainly because it fits really well. It's also one of the lightest on the market, if I'm not mistaken, affordable, snell approved, the anti-fog visor insert works impeccably (even in the pouring rain), and it has pretty good airflow. I really like it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I use a Bell Star Carbon helmet. I have tried Arai, Shoei and Icon and the Bell just fits and feels the best to me. It is lightweight, has great visibility and I run a transitions visor with it which is awesome! I guess the only downside is that it is a bit loud as it moves a lot of air but I'm going to start wearing earplugs so no biggie.

Here's my Bell Star Carbon "Hess" covered in bugs, lol

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Nexx XR2 Carbon Pure

I wear this because I value my life, like, a lot.

It weighs 2.75lbs which at current is the 2nd lightest helmet on the market. It moves a decent amount of air, comes pinlock ready so I dont have to worry about fog, has a huge viewport for entirely unobstructed field of view, DOT/ECE approved, and the fit and finish is superb.

Not to mention it looks completely badass =)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I use an Arai Axces II - I got it mainly for the colour haha! But I found it to be pretty fantastic, it weighs in at 1.560kg which feels great personally.
The endless vents are great too, one front, 2 visor, one top and rear.
The visor came pinlock ready, plus I got one free with the helmet.
The only niggles I have is the lack of sun visor but I have heard it can impact the safety of the helmet so I'm not too fussed, also my cheap £100 helmet has a piece of material at the chin which prevents air getting up from there, this doesn't have that and would be a good addition.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
NEXX XR1R

It's insanely light and super aerodynamic, and on top of that it's pretty damn comfortable for street riding as well. I'd buy another one in a heart beat.
Pinlock is great for the fog since I literally live on the ocean, and it's DOT/ECE.

EDIT: It also matches my suit and bike in an incredibly sexy fashion :devious

1 - 12 of 12 Posts