Cons:
None

Rating:

5stars for me!

images (69).jpeg

·
Registered
142 Posts
I know we have a "post your helmet" thread. But the intent of this thread is to review what you've got. and maybe serve as a real-word buyers guide.

I'll Start.
Icon Alliance.
I paid 170.00
Had it since April 2012.

Pros.
Very few.
It's comfortable I guess.
Good shield locking system.
Easy to disassemble and clean

Cons
LOUD. Good airflow at the expense of noise.
Tons of air moving directly over my ears which I hate.

I basically hate this helmet now. I'm looking at the AGV k-3 next. Hopefully one of you can shed some light on that.
That Icon helmet is a nice looking helmet 👍

I love my Bell Qualifier but same problem, a lot of airflow moving over my ears.

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Can't make up my mind. Tired of my arai touching my nose/ chin in full tuck. Intermediate oval head shape. I swapped out the pads for thicker ones and improved it significantly.

Bell Star DLX MIPS vs RPHA 11 pro. I wanted an AGV pista but the fit was just not right.

Any thoughts?

·
Director of Moderation
10,035 Posts
Can't make up my mind. Tired of my arai touching my nose/ chin in full tuck. Intermediate oval head shape. I swapped out the pads for thicker ones and improved it significantly.

Bell Star DLX MIPS vs RPHA 11 pro. I wanted an AGV pista but the fit was just not right.

Any thoughts?
From my experience so far, with helmets you can't really ask for opinions from others. As long as you're looking at good quality helmets for the application you want, you just need to try them on and see which fits best because everyone has a different shaped head. For example lots of people love the Bell Star or Race Star helmets, which made me get one and it was a bust. Didn't fit me very well at all even though size-wise it was spot on. It was just too low on my forehead so I couldn't see shit in front of me when I was in a full tuck position. Tried the RPHA11 last year and I had to return it because of the same problem (although it wasn't quite as bad as the Bell). Finally tried on the Shoei X-14 and that was it. Felt great when I tried it on and provides awesome field of view in every direction. I only used it for a handful of laps at Daytona back in March, but so far from that short amount of time I would say I'm happy I got that one, even though it was the most expensive one out of everything I looked at. I used to have an Arai too (Quantum I believe?) and I loved that helmet. Super comfy but I kinda messed up the size and it was slightly too big for my head. I also had the issue with it hitting my nose at times, but I blamed that on it being slightly too big and moving around when I was riding, which it shouldn't do if it's sized correctly.

Reactions: jd41

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
From my experience so far, with helmets you can't really ask for opinions from others. As long as you're looking at good quality helmets for the application you want, you just need to try them on and see which fits best because everyone has a different shaped head. For example lots of people love the Bell Star or Race Star helmets, which made me get one and it was a bust. Didn't fit me very well at all even though size-wise it was spot on. It was just too low on my forehead so I couldn't see shit in front of me when I was in a full tuck position. Tried the RPHA11 last year and I had to return it because of the same problem (although it wasn't quite as bad as the Bell). Finally tried on the Shoei X-14 and that was it. Felt great when I tried it on and provides awesome field of view in every direction. I only used it for a handful of laps at Daytona back in March, but so far from that short amount of time I would say I'm happy I got that one, even though it was the most expensive one out of everything I looked at. I used to have an Arai too (Quantum I believe?) and I loved that helmet. Super comfy but I kinda messed up the size and it was slightly too big for my head. I also had the issue with it hitting my nose at times, but I blamed that on it being slightly too big and moving around when I was riding, which it shouldn't do if it's sized correctly.
Yeah. I'm going to have to get a medium and add thicker cheek pads. Trying out the RPHA. Bell was ok but I hate that they're made in Chy-na.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Bought a AGV K6 3 months ago. Have been looking for a good helmet for street riding. My Shark Race-R-Pro was over 4 years old. I'm in the camp that changes helmets every 4 years. Was very happy with the Shark but my head is a little too oval and always had the Shark Dots on my forehead. Had many days over 500 miles in that helmet though. Like light weight and safe. Read about the K6 and was in the local Cycle Gear, manager pulled a couple of AGVs for me to try on. They weren't the K6 but same fit. Wound up with a medium large - medium small was just a little too tight. That's considering break-in. The Medium large is just the tiniest bit big but fits well. If you are one of those folks who find the medium is a bit too big or too small the AGV will be absolutely perfect. Helmet is fantastic, super light and flows air well. I compared the vent sizes to my Shark and a Shoei RF1200 and they are about the same. Materials inside are very nice, the neck roll fits tight which is good. The shape is quiet! Did I say light - it is amazing. With my Hield gloves stuff inside its about the same as most helmets. Visor is big! Some folks complain about the center lock but I have grown to like it. When I first got it spent 5 or 10 minutes practicing opening the visor. Took a bit to get used to but now no issues at all. Hit the button once and it opens the visor a crack and stays there. Press it again and lift up on the visor and it opens and stays where you put it! Learning to press the button with one finger while jilting with another took a bit of time to figure out and learn. Now it's second nature. The shape at the bottom has an interesting concave curve. Ran a Sena SMH10 on the Shark but it didn't fit well with the curve so I bought a Cardio Freecom 1+ which has worked great. I don't ride with others so don't need the bike to bike comm. It does fog a bit but I have never had one that didn't. Pillock will help with that. Have not risen in the rain yet so don't know how well it does in the rain. Took a 2 hour trip last weekend and it was superb. About to take off on a 6,00 mile trip so will have lots of time to study the helmet and will more than likely see how it does in rain. The visor does have distortion at the very edge but I find that the only time I notice it is when I study it while in the house. One on the bike and riding don't notice it. With the CV and mostly staying at home riding has been scarce and most of that has been on my scooter. On the motorcycle all the elementary and junior high boys love it, when on the scooter all the babies in the strollers wave!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I know we have a "post your helmet" thread. But the intent of this thread is to review what you've got. and maybe serve as a real-word buyers guide.

I'll Start.
Icon Alliance.
I paid 170.00
Had it since April 2012.

Pros.
Very few.
It's comfortable I guess.
Good shield locking system.
Easy to disassemble and clean

Cons
LOUD. Good airflow at the expense of noise.
Tons of air moving directly over my ears which I hate.

I basically hate this helmet now. I'm looking at the AGV k-3 next. Hopefully one of you can shed some light on that.
I have a Bell Qualifier and I have the same situation, good airflow but a lot of noise.

I started using earplugs.

I must say earplugs make a much better riding experience overall, for me anyway 👍

·
Registered
490 Posts
Update on the K6. Took it on a loooong ride in early June. 6,000 miles from Alabama to South Dakota to Utah via Wyoming and back via Colorado and some flat states. Saw temperatures from 99F to 34.7F. LOL actually saw the two extreme temps one day and the next! 99 was in Moab Utah and saw 34.7 the next day on my way to Rock Springs WY. On long trips I always wear earplugs for noise isolation but the noise wasn't bad. Viewfinder is big which is super nice. Rode in the rain and tested it's anti-fog abilities. Yes it does fog but a couple of things really help. First is leaving the pillock insert at home where it can stay safe and unscratched! Second the ability to crack the visor with a firm latch not a detent is super nice. Adds just enough ventilation to keep it from fogging. I know - rode 250 miles one day in the rain! Beautiful country but mostly I saw raindrops. I mean rain like in a summer thunderstorm where wind is whipping sheets of rain across the highway and severely buffeting the bike to the point I'm starting to wonder if I about is is possible to get blown off the road! visor did great. Temperatures quickly dropped into the mid 50s then dropped as I went thru a 9,111 foot pass where they were 34.7F and rain - no snowflakes or sleet. Last year had a day in the rain with my Shark Race R Pro and it was much worse to the point of getting lots of water droplets on the inside. I did get a little on the inside of the K6 but not much. 99F was different, no visor fogging and the ventilation was good. My bike has a big ugly windscreen that blocks most of the breeze so not a great airflow to the chin vent. Still ventilation was similar to the Shark and the Shoie RF1100 I had before the Shark. The helmet seems just the smallest bit loose but I still don't think I could deal with the medium small. In that regard I would like to see a plain medium which would probably be my perfect size.

161 - 171 of 171 Posts