Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

121 - 140 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Scorpion Exo-1000 Air 'Mana'

Pros:
Kids love the gfx.
Drop-down sun visor great for sunstrike.
Pinlock (can't live without it in winter).
Visor is very easy/quick to remove and refit.
Removable innards.
1550g +/- 50g weight (quoted), not bad for helmet with drop-down.
3/4 star SHARP rating.

Cons:
Air vents ineffectual.
Plastic spoiler is a little flimsy.
Drop-down visor is a pain to remove/refit and a pain to keep clean.

I bought it becase it was on sale, it came with two visors and graphics for the same price as a standard color Shoei, and it fit me better than HJC. I don't know whether I'd buy Scorpion next time again, or Shoei, HJC or something else - Scorpion has updated their line since I bought this, to have flush-mount visors etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
List of helmets I have (as posted on "Post your helmet" thread):
.Shoei XR-1100 (or RF-1100)
.AGV K3
.Airoh GP500
.HJC RPHA10+
.X-Lite 802R

Out of the list, my favorite has to be the X-Lite, for the fitting/feel. It firmly holds onto your head and cheeks but not in an uncomfortable way, you "feel" safe and confident, plus it feels light too.

All my helmets are S, except for the K3 which is M, I can wear K3 S, but after 20 minutes there will be pressure points and I feel my head will explode if I don't take it off, really bad feeling. M is fine but feels a bit loose.

As for the others, Airoh has the nicest fabric/sponge softness feel, helmet shape/design is extraordinary. Shoei and HJC are fine, no issues and nothing spectacular.

Future plan would be to get a Shark Race R Pro.

·
Registered
28 Posts
On closeout right now

Scorpion EXO-500 CA$209-$240

Best helmet I've bought to date. Love the inner visor so now I don't have to drag along a tinted and clear visor. Fits incredibly comfortable, but like all Scorpion helmets you have to buy 1 size up. I'm usually a medium but a large fits me perfectly.

Less noisy then my old HJC helmet and MUCH MORE AIR FLOW. This helmet rocked in the summer.. pop open the top air vents and feel the air rush over your head.. wind tunnel tested!

My only issues with this helmet is due to its extra built in visor, they had to build the plastic up a bit more on the top so the helmet is thicker on the top which slightly obstructs your view when you are in full tuck position.. Not much, but enough to be a little annoying. Plus with all of its features, its a little heavier than most helmets at its price range.

Overall I give this helmet a solid 8.5/10.. You have to try it on to see how comfortable it is!
Motorcycle Superstore has this helmet on closeout right now for $89.95 FYI if anyone is looking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have just purchased a 2015 Arai quantum ST Pro in black / silver with the pro shade visor.
Took me a while to decide which helmet to get as I was looking at Schuberths also.

However I'm over the moon with the Arai, everything about it is perfect for me. Quality is great and the fitment is perfect. It's lightweight and in my opinion the wind noise levels are very low!
An expensive purchase at £499 but well worth it.

Also I read a lot of reviews about the pro visor system and some were neutral and negative,
For me I really like it. With the pro visor up you get a little sun strip at the top of your view , very handy for blocking out the high sun. Also does not add any drag or wind noise with the visor in any position. It can be removed as well if you don't use it.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
My NEW lid. Arai

Picked this up today. Best helmet I have ever purchased. Never going low end again. The visibility is amazing.The weight of the helmet, super light. Hardly any wind noise. I am impressed. I threw my Bilt helmet away. Still mad at myself for buying it in the first place. Although I thought it would protect my head in a crash, it did. But not enough. Losing memory is not a good thing. Could have been worse. At least I am here to right this review and made a better purchasing decision. I will get another one soon also. Arai FTW!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
... Best helmet I have ever purchased... Arai FTW!!!!!
Tough to copy ya without a model number and maybe a price, hoping that information will come in handy for folks down the road if you don't mind tossing it in.

Glad you like the new lid! A good helmet is a must

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Tough to copy ya without a model number and maybe a price, hoping that information will come in handy for folks down the road if you don't mind tossing it in.

Glad you like the new lid! A good helmet is a must
It's the Arai Defiant Jolly Roger. It was $647 on sale.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Scorpion EXOR2000 is the best helmet I've ever used. Better than my Shark helmet even. Far cheaper to! I will keep buying these until they one-up their own product in the future. You're getting a $700-$1000 helmet for less than half that cost.

I don't know how noisy it is, I use earplugs when I wear helmets. Just a habbit.

Stock visor fogs up easily though, that's my only complaint. But there are some tricks you can do to fix that.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Scorpion EXOR2000 is the best helmet I've ever used. Better than my Shark helmet even. Far cheaper to! I will keep buying these until they one-up their own product in the future. You're getting a $700-$1000 helmet for less than half that cost.

I don't know how noisy it is, I use earplugs when I wear helmets. Just a habbit.

Stock visor fogs up easily though, that's my only complaint. But there are some tricks you can do to fix that.
What sold me really on this is how light it is,the venting, the fit,and most of all the massive visibility. I never seen so well in a helmet before. Oh, I always use ear plugs as well.

·
Registered
322 Posts
What sold me really on this is how light it is,the venting, the fit,and most of all the massive visibility. I never seen so well in a helmet before. Oh, I always use ear plugs as well.
Yeah everything you said is 100% true. Especially the visibility, view range is huge! I love that helmet.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Glad you got a new lid alex the bolt was sketchy. And ride with it at night before you say to dark. I need to get the medium dark shield so I can wear it at night.

·
Banned
701 Posts
Not much of a review, but couldn't find the 'Post your lid' thread so I'll just post here and give my first impression. Just got it today, it's an HJC CL-17. The airflow is absolutely insane. It almost feels like I'm riding without a helmet when you leave all of the vents open. Previously had a Scorpion EXO R410 and there is very limited air flow on that helmet and I always would get very sweaty. This helmet is also a lot lighter. Great visibility and barely any wind drag when I hopped on the highway. Head turns are amazing, almost no drag either.

·
Registered
215 Posts
HJC FG-17 Valhalla

Had a CL-17 which I didn't not like but it was not great. Rode a EX500 with that. Picking up a ZX6R tomorrow and ordered the FG-17. Been riding my friend's GSXR750 this past week and put a bunch of miles on it. I personally really like it and the price point isn't crazy. It's a new 'paint scheme' and has a Snell M2015 rating(DOT as well obviously).

My heritage has Nordic roots so the helmet style definitely is right up my alley. It actually closely matches(symbols and some design cues) to my auto racing helmet so that part I am super happy with.

I wear an XL in the helmet which is 'fit to standard size' in the mindset IMO. The only thing I changed is the XL comes with 35mm cheek pads and those were too tight. I ordered the 30mm cheek pads which fit better in the XL. Maybe I have fatter cheeks than your standard XL Helmet Guy. I also ordered a gold RST/Mirror Shield for daytime riding.

I installed a Sena 20S and it fits and functions perfectly. Nice spot for the wired mic. There are ridges/airflow spots to put the speaker wiring in. And right at the eats there is a 'gap' in the cheekpad for the speakers. Works great!

Build Quality - I have an auto racing HJC helmet and have 4 years of racing on it. The same quality there has been in my Motorcycle helmets and the FG-17 seems to be the same. All moving parts are tight and fit well. Vent controls are obviously basic plastic but they work well and seemingly are of good quality.

Airflow - In GA been riding in up to 90ish degrees ambient. While moving I do not feel hot or 'stuffy'.

Noise - It's not super quiet but the Sena with music at a low to moderate volume level I have no complaints. Even made calls and no one has known to this point I was on a motorcycle. So that much as to say something.

Vision - Seems well designed for giving forward and periphereal vision. Zero complaints here. Nice eye port setup offering good protection(minimal opening) but offering great vision.

Pics:

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Picked up a BELL RS-1 GAGE in Medium recently, $299 open box off eBay.

LOVE IT. Moved up from a Bell qualifier. I also tried the Shoei RF-1200 and the BELL RS-1 was better all around. Fits my head shape perfectly.

PROS:

Lightweight
Very quiet helmet, almost no road noise with earplugs
sexy design (subjective)
awesome airflow, well designed vents
Best faceshield design in the industry
the anti-fogging actually works for me
Faceshield crack open feature
Super comfortable plush lining, fully removable and washable
Magnetic helmet chin strap
Priced very well for the features
DOT and SNELL2015
Cut out for speakers if desired

CONS:

Snobs may raise an issue of you having a BELL helmet?
Made in China :(
May not fit people with very round heads as well

Can't speak well enough about this lid. I also like how aerodynamic it is, no buffeting or issues at high speed. I can turn my head at 120 MPH with ease etc

121 - 140 of 171 Posts