Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys, I'm having issues starting up my 07 zx6r.

I have provided a video of the issue. If anyone out there that can help me with this I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

RZ

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Hello RZ.. Welcome to the forum.

Pull the seat, check the voltages. Sure sounds like your battery has had it.
Once it a while you get lucky and it's a bad connection, normally the negitive to frame.

SO check voltage before hitting the starter button AND what it goes to when the button is hit.
My guess would be 12v +/- 0.4 then less than 11 volts with the starter button.

OH, take some time and say HI in the new members section.
Nice to hear about past rides and how long you have had the Ninja.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Indy,

How do I go about checking the voltage?

It started up fine with no issues a week ago.

I just replaced the rear tire a couple days ago and now this issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Digital volt meter. You can get a cheap one.
Put one wire, red on the + and the black one on the -. OH, the dial on V, or voltage. If it has only flat line and wavy (doesn't say ac or dc) then it's the flat line.

To check the ground connection to the frame. The red wire on the + the black wire on the frame.
Voltage should be the same as across the battery.

If not then the connection from the negative battery connection to the frame is corroded.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Guys,

here is an update on the bike starting issue.

I went to Advanced Auto to get the battery recharged.

The dash loads properly now, but when push start the bike doesn't want to start.

Guys, what could the issue be at this point?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hard to say, you are going to have to start with the basics......does it have gas? does it smell like unburnt fuel at the exhaust pipe?(meaning you could have a no spark issue). You could pull a plug and see if you have spark. The battery sounds like it is spinning the motor fast enough.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
If you just had the battery charged and you're getting lights on the dash:

Check your kill switch on the right grip is set to run.
Check your bike is in Neutral.

IF it starts in Neutral, check to see if it starts with the clutch pulled in and in gear. If not, bad clutch switch

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
If you just had the battery charged and you're getting lights on the dash:

Check your kill switch on the right grip is set to run.
Check your bike is in Neutral.

IF it starts in Neutral, check to see if it starts with the clutch pulled in and in gear. If not, bad clutch switch
Mine does not power the starter motor if the kill switch is pressed, or neutral/clutch isn't engaged.So, it is something else.

Fuel, or spark.Take a plug out and check to see if it is wet with gas, and if you have spark.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I have plenty fuel in the tank. So it maybe the spark plugs.
Here's what I've done before. Someone stop me if not a good idea.

Pull one of the plugs. Plug it back into the cable and hold it against the block. Press starter real quick and see if you have spark.

Also, is the spark plug wet? If not, you may not be getting gas. Could be fuel pump? Might check ALL fuses (I don't have my manual handy at the moment).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I noticed it started up fine before I added STA-BIL fuel stabilizer to the tank. Do you guys think that may have caused the issue?

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
If the bike hasn't been started in a while, then I would suggest putting some StarTron in the fuel tank. Then turn the ignition key on and let it go through it's initial procedure, then turn it off. Do this several times before actually trying to crank the engine. Then give it a try. If it doesn't start, turn the ignition on and off a few more times and repeat.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
No, Stabil should not have caused any issues. It just sounded like it did not even cough or sputter. Kind of weird but check for spark like Commie said.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the exact same bike down to the same color. I had the exact same issue also. The first vid, was low voltage. The second vid was (I would bet anyway) a short internally in the battery. If I understand right, a battery can have the correct voltage but not have the amps needed if the cells short out.
When this happened to me, I charged the battery and it would then load the dash correctly and turn the starter. It would not start. I put a jumper pack on it and it would start but would die if I didn't rev it out. A new battery completely fixed the issue. You could try to check voltage while you are starting the bike to make sure. Lots of autopart stores will load test the battery for you, which is different from just checking to see if it has 12 volts.
I would put my money on a new battery for sure though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts