Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself!

My name is Tyler, and Im looking into getting a 636 here pretty soon. I learned on a Ninja 650, but wadded it up tailgating a 16 year old when he locked up his brakes to make the turn he wanted :O:banghead:banghead

I got away with nothing but a wrecked bike, and a shattered arm.

My arm is back to normal now, and I am looking at getting a 636!

I want to learn everything that I can about these bikes, and have been reading on the forums for a while.

Are there any known problems with the bikes? Things that I should look for when buying used?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im looking into an 05-06, I rode my buddies and I really liked it!

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Well there certainly isn't any problems to look out for solely with the 05/06's. With the older models there were a few recalls but that's about it. Only thing I can think of is the kawi tick which is very noticeable with most Kwaka bikes after FI was introduced. It's simply just a Kawasaki engine trait and although it sounds serious, it's not. It's usually quite loud when the bike is cold but becomes fainter when it warms up. Most people fret over this but there is no need to worry. It just gets annoying and will probably make you hate your bike a little bit.

There are a quite a few broad things to look out for and check when buying a used bike but none specific to the ZX6R's. You should look for crash damage and grill the owner as much as possible about the bikes history. The 636 is a huge step up from the 650 but it's certainly a better one! Good luck finding one and post pics when you get her!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How will I know that a ticking noise is just the normal one, or if it is a more serious problem?

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Well if you're not mechanically inclined you probably can't tell the difference. I certainly wouldn't be able to but I've had my bike since new so I know what it's normal noises are. Considering she developed the Kawi tick within the first 20km I know it's normal. The tick comes from the left hand side of the bike and becomes faster when you rev it. It's not a heavy tick like I'm sure an engine would make if it's about to bust a piston on your or something. It's faint but noticeable pretty much all the time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
my bike had it from day one. freaked me out at first, but a few phone call's later I was settled down. Only way to really tell is to keep riding till it warms up to like 200 then it will just die down and you won't even hear it through the helmet. Only way I can describe it is that it's a very hollow tick, where as an engine problem is a very solid clunk sound... just my 2 cents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts