Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions on heat wrapping the shorty M4GP exhaust.. The position of this pipe, to where my foot is means that I have melted several shoes, and get a really warm heal on long rides.

I'm also worried about burning any passengers. Has anyone done this before on one of these shorty pipes? Will this help at all? Or, will this hurt the slip on exhaust? I have read mixed reviews, but looking for personal experience.

Looking around I just saw that there is some kind of shield that might work to be installed over this pipe.. I didn't receive one when getting this bike, so maybe that's searchable.. There is also a part of me that is curious to see what this would look like..

Thanks,
:dowhat

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Are you duck footing it or riding on the balls of the feet? I know a ton of people have these pipes and this is the first I've heard of this. :O

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It feels natural to me to flip between I think, so if I'm on the highway for example, my foot rests with the peg on the ball of my foot, like i'm tip-toeing? So the majority of my foot sticks out behind the peg, over the tip of the pipe.

·
Registered
765 Posts
It feels natural to me to flip between I think, so if I'm on the highway for example, my foot rests with the peg on the ball of my foot, like i'm tip-toeing? So the majority of my foot sticks out behind the peg, over the tip of the pipe.
You wearing flip flops? :laugh

I ride on the balls of my feet but sometimes flat foot it momentarily on longer rides and have never burned a shoe or boot. My feet don't feel any hotter than my legs do from the heat coming off the engine.

As for burning passengers; it is quite a long ways from the passenger pegs and don't see how that would be an issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, no flippy floppies. I usually wear icon truant boots, which are pretty protective from the heat, but you can tell that they definitely get hot on the outside. If I go out for a quick ride in anything other than protective boots though, the sole of my right shoe becomes super melty and flimsy, and you can definitely feel a burning heat through it where it's almost uncomfortable, and makes a good reminder to wear thicker boots.

I guess thats true about the passenger peg, I haven't had any trouble yet and would be more so worried about someone brushing up against the pipe itself.

This looks normal though, right? I posted these a few days ago in another thread..

Right profile

3/4 Rear Right

M4 GP Exhaust
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
765 Posts

Yep. Looks fine.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Jesus, you either have really big feet or really bad foot position.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I'm not really sure what this guy is doing, but I imagine that it looks something simillar to this?

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
^He's not duck footing, so just wear better shoes. I wouldn't wrap that pipe. It will look sloppy on that kind of pretty bike. You shouldn't be riding without riding boots or shoes either way ideally. *ideally *imo *to each is own *atgatt

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've never once melted a shoe or felt heat coming from the pipe through my shoes or riding boots. Not sure what you are doing but it obviously isn't right lol. I've got above average sized feet and never had an issue (size 13(us) boot)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Never happened to me. Me and the wifew just rode 30 miles. No shoes burnt. She never felt and hot air either. I think it's in your head.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I melted the fuck out of my boots but that's because I had my feet hanging off after a very long canyon ride and taking the highway home trying to stretch out my feet. My prior bike had an undertail exhaust so I forgot all about the exhaust and it melted a good portion of my boot. Haha. Never had the issue otherwise.

Have never had a backpack complain about my exhaust on 2 up rides.

So I guess short answer is yet, if anything touches the pipe is will melt it, but otherwise heat wrap seems unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Yeah I had to get rid of mine I couldn't tuck right my foot would hit it and Fuck the bottom of my boot up almost got it re bent to hang lower but swapped it couldn't deal with it

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have the M4 Street Slayer CF exhaust and I don't have any issues what so ever with my shoe getting hot. I just got back from a 300 mile trip to Texas yesterday with no issues.

Now, I did have a girl on the back of it last week. She had never been on a bike before. It was at night when I picked her up. I guess she didn't see me put the passenger foot pegs down, because she just had her feet dangling. I didn't realize this. She was also wearing flip flops. I was like, WTF are you doing? You don't wear flip flops on a bike. Anyway, I was going down the road and I smelled this burning smell. She had her foot on my exhaust and then realized there were pegs halfway through the ride.

Chiiiiiicks maaaan.... I don't get it

·
Registered
812 Posts
I've never felt a problem with the M4 & I ride like most with the balls of my feet on the pegs wearing Sidi boots. The only time I had an issue is when I rode in shorts on lunch to the post office & burnt my leg a little at a red light.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts