Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, sorry if this has already been covered (I searched, I swear!).

But the previous owner of my bike (2010 zx6r) clearly did not keep her in the garage often. She's been ridden hard and put away wet... so to speak. :lol:

Sooo among other things, the headlights look pretty rough (the low beam side is cloudy, and the high beam side is yellowing).

Has anyone had success with any particular restoration kit?

I would think that using a power drill attachment would be the most effective way to get at the problem, but the area is so small that I just think I'd mess things up more by accidentally sanding the front fairing. I'm a klutz.

Is it best to take off that plastic and go with the power drill / wet sand route? :O

Help?

·
Registered
236 Posts
pull the whole headlight unit out. youll probably have to crack them open to clean the inside if you cant get it 100% clean.

as for cleaning them? idk, id figure wd40 might do fine, just slap it on a rag and rub'er down

Reactions: gutterpuppy

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
Hey, sorry if this has already been covered (I searched, I swear!).

But the previous owner of my bike (2010 zx6r) clearly did not keep her in the garage often. She's been ridden hard and put away wet... so to speak. :lol:

Sooo among other things, the headlights look pretty rough (the low beam side is cloudy, and the high beam side is yellowing).

Has anyone had success with any particular restoration kit?

I would think that using a power drill attachment would be the most effective way to get at the problem, but the area is so small that I just think I'd mess things up more by accidentally sanding the front fairing. I'm a klutz.

Is it best to take off that plastic and go with the power drill / wet sand route? :O

Help?
A brand new headlight assembly is pretty expensive.

The head light assembly should be the same, from '09 through '12; if you want a pristine lens cover, I'd look at buying a damaged assembly (broken tabs, etc.) that has a good lens and salvage it.

Restoration kits are a short term solution, IMHO.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Discoloration of the plastic comes from oxidation and it can be removed easily with store bought 3M headlamp restoration kit. That would be cheaper than a lens assembly new or used. I would follow the instructions and maybe do it several times to get the desired results. From working in the auto industry myself. I have always been successful at restoring headlamp assemblies to like NEW condition with the product mentioned. However I used a drill. Electric or air will yield the best results. Use of your hand for
the final stages. It can be done and it will require a lot of your time. Realistically to restore it to like NEW condition you will spend 2 hours on the assembly. Good luck. You can do it!!!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Polycarbonate headlights have a hard coat applied to the surface since PC is not particularly scratch resistant. Its actually this coating that oxidizes due to UV exposure (the coating appears to be a UV cured material from what I could find). This is important to understand for 2 reasons. The UV coat may actually be hard to remove. I tend to think it has to do with how bad the oxidation is. I tried to clean up a lightly oxidized headlight with the 3M kit and it proved difficult. A heavily oxidized headlight I used the kit went much faster. In the former, I ended up getting some lower grit paper and sanded by hand first to get the hard coat off before polishing it with the 3M kit.

The other problem that gets introduced is that with the hard coat missing, there is nothing there to protect the PC. It will scratch easier and tends to haze over time. It can be cleaned up fairly easily using the 3M kit again, but it will not last as long as a brand new light with the hard coat. There may be services that can restore the hard coating, but I'm not sure of the availability. Found some info here:

http://radtech.org/2014proceedings/... for Polycarbonate Head Light Refinishing.pdf

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
^^ this was my experience using one of the restoration kits on my 2000 Toyota Echo. Very pretty, right after it was done, and looked just as bad as it did before I started within a few months.

We eventually replaced both headlight assemblies. It's been perfect, again, for the past 2 years. No haze or discoloration at all.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i have had good luck wet sanding the lights with 1000 grit, buffing them and keeping a good coat of wax on them. on a neon i flipped they were so bad i sanded with 600 and clear coated them and they still look good when i see the car around town and that was over 2 years ago

1 - 7 of 7 Posts