Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm having some issues with my bike and ya been pissing me off (sorry I've lost my patience). I have a 2007 ninja zx6r, and all of a sudden one morning about 2 weeks ago I got on it and noticed that when I started he bike the idle was fluctuating (from about 1000-1400 rpm) and when I accelerate its very groggy and doesn't want to go, but after about 4000 rpm it finally goes and doesn't give me problems. I've also noticed it seems to run a bit hotter than usual; if I ride the bike hard it would get to about 218 degrees maximum, now it will sometimes even go to 224-226.... I've checked the oil filter, ripped out the power commander (ironically im taking the power commander out made it worse) changed the spark plugs, reset the ECU (unplugged the battery for a few minutes to reset it), changed the oil and still nothing! My mechanic doesn't know what it could be anymore, he said my compression in cylinders were fine too. Does anyone have any sort of idea what it could be? Fuel pump? Valves? Also, I noticed that you can smell the gas a bit more now when I throttle.. Any help would be great, thanks!:O:O:O

·
Registered
14,141 Posts
^^ I would also be suspicious of the fuel system.

If there was a compression check done, and the numbers are good, your valves are fine. At the same time, the plugs should have been inspected -- were they showing the right color? Fouled? I'm guessing not, or your mechanic should have pointed that out.

Same thing with air filter, and exhaust..... you have to take the air box off to get to the plugs to do the compression check, so the filter should have been looked at.

That leaves electrical, or fuel.

If it's running like dookie in low RPM situations and runs properly higher in RPM, that typically indicates a problem with your low speed fueling, which means a problem with the injectors that operate most of the time.

If this problem came up all of a sudden, it is most likely you bought a bad tank of fuel somewhere, or ran the tank really low and sucked up a bunch of sludge from the bottom of the tank.

If there is enough sh*t in there to clog your fuel pump filter in the tank, or possibly clogging the injectors, it's time to get everything cleaned.

Pull the tank, and pull the pump. look at the screen and let us know what you see.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'll try to pull the pump and see what I can see....

By the way, my bike does have a two brothers slip on.
And when we changed my plugs they were fouled.
My bike does have around 13,500 miles so I'm close to a valve change.

I've been (I swear to god) throwing to the mechanics that it's the fuel pump/filter but they keep dismissing it and saying "no no, it's something else"

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I don't think your mechanic is very good.. Lol sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Check spark again to be sure and then start testing your fuel system components

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, what really sucks is that he's very well liked and respected around the local motorcycle community so it's a damn shame that I can't find people to relate. Sometimes speopoe are good for others but for them. I will say this, every time I've taken my bike to him, one issue would be resolved and two others would pop up. I've had my bike since February and now have dumped $640 in mechanical repairs and it just keeps climbing from all the shit that keeps "popping up"....

Back to the subject; I agree, I feel it has something to do with fuel. So if I check my plugs again and they are dirty (I changed them only about 2 weeks ago) then it must be somethig with fuel injection?

·
Registered
8,727 Posts
Just because compression is "good" (good is such a horseshit term........everyone thinks of "good" as something differently) does not mean the valves have the proper clearance or adjustment

throttle body sync likely would not cause the issue you have

Stick coil issues, even as benign as the tips being rusty and the spring clip not holding onto the plug tightly for good contact do seem to show up under low rpm more than high for who knows what reason.....

Fuel pump and/or fuel filter is unlikely as those present with more fuel demand.....ie higher fuel needs at bigger loads and higher rpm's

But at 13,500miles (only 900 from the oe recommended service) and 9 years old it could be a combination of a bunch of the tuning aspects combining to make a bigger problem

clean all electrical connectors including your grounds (all of them!)
Adjust the valve clearances properly
synchronize the throttle bodies
adjust the TPS as needed (closer to higher end of spec is best)
make sure the battery is good
make sure the charging system is good
Do a cylinder leakage test, compression tests are for idiots who don't know anything
Check each stick coil, clean them thoroughly and do the manual stated tests (and even that does not guarantee they work when hot and engine running....but it is better than nothing)
Look for any fault codes, if something has gone bad- it should leave a trail you can read and test and then correct...........this would be the first step IMO

Once you have done all the above, only then have you actually done anything positive to get the bike into proper running order..........but there would seem to be tons of other stuff to check as well, and much to service besides what I listed;
forks
shock
bearings
brakes
pivot bushings and linkages
chain/sprockets
tires
and the list goes on..........

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys!

Rivz thank you! The only problem I have now is learning how to do all that because I simply don't have nowhere near enough money to afford a mechanic to do all that

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Thanks guys!

Rivz thank you! The only problem I have now is learning how to do all that because I simply don't have nowhere near enough money to afford a mechanic to do all that
YouTube... And us... All the help you need right there... Start by downloading the Service manual for your bike, we'll take it from there... Sound good?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah sounds great! Thanks a lot!
I've been youtubing everything so far and I've downloaded the manual but this has been such a problem and it seemed like no one had answers... But thankfully at least you guys are able to point me in the right direction :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Btw, there is still one thing still bugging me. How did any of this just happen over night? I very clearly remember that I rode the day before, and the day before that and so on. And the next day I start the engine, and the idle is bobbing and the bike had trouble accelerating in low rpm. It happened over night, is that by any chance a defining symptom of anything?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Electrical you say? What's odd is a week after all this started my headlight fuse blew and took one of the headlights with it, costing me another $25 :(.... When I took the leads off the battery the other day to reset the ECU, we noticed that the battery ground lead was EXTREEMELY loose! This is what we believe blew my fuse and took my headlight. Do you think it may also be responsible for the other stuff? We tightened it and reset the ECU but it's still having issues

1 - 20 of 24 Posts