Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Im thinking about fabbing up a custom slip on. I like the dual outlet like the pinebox. maybe Ill do a single, but like that same design. I have a lot of machines and tools at my disposal, and my friend thinks he can do it... but you know friends... so I want to make sure I can tackle it myself. Has anyone done their own? can I see it? do you have any suggestions. Hoping my buddy actually is being truthful and we can knock one out. Also I know in NA motors you generally want some back pressure so what can I do to keep some in my design, but not restrict it too much? Id like to see what other people have done as well!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I dont think you need to worry too much about what you do effecting the engine if all you're doing is a slip on.

I have custom duels (although my bike came with them):

·
Registered
157 Posts
actually in the middle of makes one now. going off the same basic design of crazymater's but gonna end up using the back end of a pinebox styling for better flow

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good stuff guys. Thanks for the pics and suggestions. Ill check out crazymators too.

I am pretty serious about this so I kind of hung one of my friends out to dry, and hit up a buddy from work who has a lot of experience in the motorcycle world. I mentioned there possibly being a market and thats all he needed. He's on board. Ill be bringing my bike to work and we will be taking some measurements and get to the drawing board. Pretty stoked.

Ill keep you all posted if you want to see our progress.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the links I didn't find the DIY. Deff similar to what I want. However ill be making it a lot easier to remove the inner baffle skin if possible.

Probably make something where you can just drill out the pop rivets.

I know he said he'd be getting a pipe bender too, id like to see it when he does. I don't want to use caps like that. While it makes it easier to build I don't think it will help its function and it doesn't help looks.

dang dude. that must be insanely loud...

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
dang dude. that must be insanely loud...
Define loud...

But it actually created enough backpressure to where it didn't drop on its face, and also, is custom. So do something unique to yourself and call it all yours.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Define loud...

But it actually created enough backpressure to where it didn't drop on its face, and also, is custom. So do something unique to yourself and call it all yours.
We will be.... kind of. It will be dope. Its going to me similar to the pinebox. We may try to to a single one too. I talked to my fabricator and hes stoked. We may try and make a few batches if they come out well. We have the shop to do it here.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Probably make something where you can just drill out the pop rivets.

I know he said he'd be getting a pipe bender too, id like to see it when he does. I don't want to use caps like that. While it makes it easier to build I don't think it will help its function and it doesn't help looks
Am curious how it turns out I love custom exhaust:devious
And also the only reason I used the caps was because I didn't have a pipe Bender!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I was gonna do one last week. To give my gf a preview and myself, I removed the muffler portion. It was awfully loud and annoying that I opted to give up the project for now. I was planning to do a similar design as the pinebox. If you are planning to run tips, make sure you put some kind of exhaust packing or else it will be crazy loud and poopy IMHO.

But if you are gonna build a slip on, you'll need...
(1) 180* mandrel bent tube forgot the pipe size since mines was gonna be used with a kr tuned mid pipe
(1) y pipe
(2) exhaust tips
(1) some form of exhaust clamp

And some sheet metal to build a exhaust hanger/holder

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
Ehhh just my own opinion so feel free to get butt hurt if you like : ) but these so called "custom mufflers" look nothing more then a sorry excuse for an exhaust system. Now if you don't give a shit & just want to be loud...then I get it. But has anyone tested their homemade systems on a dyno??? I would like to see that for sure.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Ehhh just my own opinion so feel free to get butt hurt if you like : ) but these so called "custom mufflers" look nothing more then a sorry excuse for an exhaust system. Now if you don't give a shit & just want to be loud...then I get it. But has anyone tested their homemade systems on a dyno??? I would like to see that for sure.
Heres what mine did!

·
Premium Member
5,759 Posts
^ see not much I can say once you can prove that you are not sacrificing power just for looks but even if you did.....your bike your choice. I was thinking about dual muflers exiting through opposite sides of the tail fairing but I never carried on with the idea.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Am curious how it turns out I love custom exhaust:devious
And also the only reason I used the caps was because I didn't have a pipe Bender!
Word! I was hoping youd chime in! I understand just using what you have available. If they turn out good my co-worker WILL want to sell them. We are a good pair, both of us like making money, and projects. I have access to the shop whenever I want and he has better fab skills.

If we succeed, I can guarantee quality will be second to none.. (in the DIY sense :lol: haha) stoked to get started. Prolly wont have time till this weekend though. :/

I was gonna do one last week. To give my gf a preview and myself, I removed the muffler portion. It was awfully loud and annoying that I opted to give up the project for now. I was planning to do a similar design as the pinebox. If you are planning to run tips, make sure you put some kind of exhaust packing or else it will be crazy loud and poopy IMHO.

But if you are gonna build a slip on, you'll need...
(1) 180* mandrel bent tube forgot the pipe size since mines was gonna be used with a kr tuned mid pipe
(1) y pipe
(2) exhaust tips
(1) some form of exhaust clamp

And some sheet metal to build a exhaust hanger/holder
we will be making everything. We wont be buying tips or anything. Just tubing. We will be bending, welding and making any custom brackets needed.

:p

I was thinking about dual muflers exiting through opposite sides of the tail fairing but I never carried on with the idea.
hmm you have an example of what you mean?

But ok some more details. I think we are going to try and make the interior sheet our of perforated metal we have here. Ill have to test if it can withstand the heat though. Since we powdercoat Im going to be looking into high temp powder as well.

Stay tuned. Thanks for the suggestions and constructive criticism as well. Ill look forward to it when I have something fabbed up too. haha

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Crazymater has dont some bad ass stuff from what Ive seen I agree. Great DIY's. I just want to do it different. Cause trying to re pack those.... forget about it. I want to make mine repackable.. without any cutting.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I made an undertail exhaust out of .035" wall stainless. Cut up a Hindle race exhaust for and 07-08 and made it fit my J model.

Picked up 8whp with the exhaust after tuning.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts