Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gas cap is locked and seized shut. I've sprayed copious amounts of WD40 and Gun Penetrating oil into this thing with countless key-turning attempts and this thing will not budge. I know there has been a few threads on this in the past, but of the ones I found, none had a solution that didn't involve destroying the lock or a locksmith. Can anyone help? I want to go riding!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Try duck oil instead of the other penetrating oils such has WD40. It is far better at getting in about seized parts than the others. Worth a try imo, it's worked for me in the past with seized locks.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Buy a new one, depending on your model year, you may not even need to drill it out, just remove the torque bits holding it down and replace.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
You have to unlock the cap to get it off even if you remove the screws. BUT, once you finally do get the lock to work it might not be a bad idea to remove the cap and soak it in something. The question is soak it in "what"? I believe the problem is aluminum oxidation (corrosion) so the solution should be to use whatever substance can clean up or dissolve aluminum oxidation. Sorry I don't have the answer as I was able to free mine up with wd-40 and compressed air but I do realize I probably got lucky and there are much better solutions to use other than wd-40. Unfortunately I do not know what those are. I was thinking if you could find something that works on aluminum oxidation like CLR works for calcium the problem would be solved.

·
Registered
107 Posts
my cap kept seizing up on me. i finally said im tired of this crap and having to lube the cylinder every week so i just ordered a keyless cap and never looked back. makes life so much more easier!

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Sorry, FieldDay, I've got nothing useful for you that others haven't said (and probably nothing you haven't already tried)

my cap kept seizing up on me. i finally said im tired of this crap and having to lube the cylinder every week so i just ordered a keyless cap and never looked back. makes life so much more easier!
Buy my vortex gas cap. Its keyless. Keys are for wussies
I like the idea of not having to use the key and especially not have to deal with the potential seizures since our gas caps are clearly riddled with issues. However, I don't trust people not to put crap in my tank...It's got to be incredibly unlikely that someone actually would, but I'd be f***ed if someone did because I obviously wouldn't know until it ruined something

Anyone else concerned about this or am I the only one? :O

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Okay, no amount of lubricant through the key hole will ever get to the locking mechanism below it, because the key hole/cylinder is fully enclosed and separate from the locking mechanism. I was thinking about it though, and I did come up with a way to get lubricant into the locking mechanism.

I recently disassembled and cleaned/lubricated the whole gas cap and locking mechanism, and I saw that the gas cap vent goes through that mechanism, and then out through a tube at the back of the fuel tank, and then down to the bottom of the bike. There are two vent tubes that go out the bottom of the bike though, so you have to make sure you get the correct one that goes to the gas cap vent, and then you could spray some lubricant up through that tube, and it will then go down into the gas cap locking mechanism (I think the correct tube is the that comes out the back right side of the fuel tank). I would make sure that it is a lubricant that won't damage the fuel system or engine though, or you will have to take the tank off and drain it afterward, because the lubricant will go through the locking mechanism and into the fuel tank. But, at least it should un-seize the mechanism.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
My gas cap is locked and seized shut. I've sprayed copious amounts of WD40 and Gun Penetrating oil into this thing with countless key-turning attempts and this thing will not budge. I know there has been a few threads on this in the past, but of the ones I found, none had a solution that didn't involve destroying the lock or a locksmith. Can anyone help? I want to go riding!!!
Just to make sure it's been covered.... when you are attempting to turn the key, are you pushing down on the gas cap as well?

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
chain cleaner works wonders, you wont believe it until you try it, however like Strider said, im not sure if it will have any lasting effects on the fuel system if it does drip into the fuel. Ive done it 4-5 times, and havent has any problems as of yet.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Okay, so I was able to get it out. I continued the "generous" application of WD40 and instead of using the key, used a flathead screw driver. I had one that's nearly a perfect fit into the top key slot. The lock will turn slightly without the key inserted (at least mine will). Once I able to move the lock enough to break the initial corrosion loose, I swapped to the key and pressing down while turning. And more WD40.

Once I got it loose and off the tank I continued to work the action repeatedly and it began to fully function. On the bottom of the lock, there is a small hole in the very center that I'm assuming is used to directly lube the locking mechanism. So I squirted some CLP in there while working the lock. More CLP and I flipped it over and left it for two hours. Works better than new. A ton of nasty green-white fluid came out of the keyhole area(which sounds like an awful STD symptom).

·
Registered
269 Posts
glad you got it open without destroying it.
i put a drop of oil down my keyhole every 2000 miles or so, and work the lock to make sure its smooth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts