Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have been trying to find a thread in reference to py problem but none are exactly whats going on. Heres the deal... I just bout a 2001 ZX6R and when I tested it at the guys house the only thing I noticed a bit odd was that the throttle wouldnt snap back easily. I wasnt worried about it as it seemed that the grip was getting caught up with the bar end. At any rate.. now its mine and I went to take a spin and the rpm's started to hang around 4k. Even if i try to push the throttle to idle, it still stays. Heres where it gets weird for me.. The only thing so far that makes it stop hanging is when I back out the idle adjustment screw to the point where its not coming in contact with anything. This way it hasnt hung up any more, but.............. Now it won't idle on its own. I have to hold throttle or it will die out. I have tried adjusting the cables, fast idle cable, and all with no luck. As soon as I turn up the idle adjustment screw and it raises the idle, if i give it gas then it stays at whatever rpm i accelerated to. Any ideas?? FYI, I tried spraying some PB blaster down the wires and still no luck.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Yup, clean and lube the throttle cables, and also make sure any return springs on the throttle bodies are working properly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just went through the carbs to take a peek. All looks pretty good so far. Linkage seems to return just fine, air screws were all over the place but not sure that mans much at this point. 1 was at 2 turns, other at around 2.5 then another at 3, etc. Plugs look like shit, fouled to the max. I dont wanna dare and say theyre OEM but.......... They look raunchy. Just plain worn out. They have more than done their job. So far all vacuum lines look good. Carbs are all clean and I set all screws to 2.5 baseline. Reassembly is tomorrow and I will go from there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds to me that you got the choke on constantly!

and if u back out the idle adjuster your completely closing the throttle valves which starves it of air.
Hmmm, I thought that was a "fast idle" adjustment.. SO its a choke?? Oh damn. Could all this be because of the cable being out of adjustment?? New to this, sorry. My only other bike was EFI.. Much easier and less finicky

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, and the other thing I found odd was 3 of the four pins for the floats were just dangling, almost fell out completely. I only had to remove one. Noy sure if that would affect driveability but definitely not right

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Your bike is carb so you have choke try lubing the cable and check the adjustment make sure its moving freely and not hangin up. also if the plugs look foul now be good time for new set stock plugs for 00-02 zx6r are NGK CR9E.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If def and aftermarket filter and the Muzzy exhaust. Not sure what to think, the plugs are black ans worn. I just picked them up now. Gpnna get them in and reinstall carbs now. Will be running either tonight or by tomorrow. Will keep posted.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
sounds like a vacuum leak or too much air volume for fuel volume. See if you have a K&N filter, if so, may need to re-jet
Plugs wouldn't be fouled when the bike is running Lean from starving of fuel (vacuum leak).

I had that and the plugs had white ceramics instead of brown. Another 500mi running it in that condition and I'd have burned a hole through the pistons.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Plugs wouldn't be fouled when the bike is running Lean from starving of fuel (vacuum leak).

I had that and the plugs had white ceramics instead of brown. Another 500mi running it in that condition and I'd have burned a hole through the pistons.
that could be, unless there is a lot of blow-by getting in to the combustion chamber too. A full service may be in order, ie: timing, tps, check jets sizes & make sure they are all completely clean, clean all carbs passages, carbs floats adjusted, carbs sync'ed, valves adjusted, check all vacuum hoses, compression, leak-down, fuel pressure static & dynamic, check fuel filter / in-tank sock..... what did I miss??? :O

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Rick is on the money! If the plugs are fouled then its running rich check the float heights set them properly misadjusted floats can cuase all sorts of headaches!

Also check to make sure the float valves are functioning properly!

But the bike just needs some TLC is all!

·
Registered
192 Posts
efi......... lets any joe blow jump on a bike and gives them the impresson they know whats going on....

carbs make you learn how your bike is working and if want to b worth anything youll start learning how to tune also......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update............. Got everything buttoned up last night and turned it on today. Once it was all primed it started right up. I used the choke and slowly let it off as it warmed up a bit. Right off the bat it is idling much smoother. Also, once up to temp I adjusted idle via knob to about 1300 and there it stays. Blip/whack throttle and it is coming back down to idle as it should. Crossing my fingers but so far so good. Cant road test now as it is pouring rain here in O-Town.. Hopefully tomorrow I can test

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So..... Finally got to try the bike today and so far all is well. No hanging idle, and now I can adjust the idle by the knob as it should be. So now my only question is at what point should I pull the plugs to see how they're doing? Is there any particular amount of miles? Right now the factory jets are whats in there, I just put it back as is. When I check the plugs that should tell me if it needs more fuel right?? Also, I set the mix screw at 2.5 turns and havent done anything else yet with that. Is adjusting that any further dependent on what the plugs look like or thats just strictly for jetting? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
White/chalky plugs are evident of to lean of mixture - bad for engine. Dirty plugs means to rich - not as bad for engine, but still not good - at a lower level of mechanical experience, I would let a shop adjust the flow screws and do a tune-up. Don't just play with the screws, because you could do a lot of harm to the internals. Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
There's a lot to tuning carbs & checking plugs. Get a service manual & read the carb section. There is a sequence of what to adjust & in what order. Each carb needs the air jet set individually for proper idle, the carbs need to be sync'ed. you may need to buy a special 90* screwdriver to reach the jets.
Look below my signature and there is a link on how to make a very cheap & accurate sync tool. I use the #1 carb as the standard for adjusting 2, 3 & 4 to match it.
As far as the plugs, you can run it for a while, but if you come to a stop & let it idle for a hot minute, then the plugs will show how it is running at idle. If you want a true showing of the plugs, ride it at mid throttle for a mile, squeeze the clutch, turn the engine off & roll to a stop. THEN when you look at plugs, that will really tell how the carbs are running.
All the things I listed to check in a previous post are things I do everytime I get a "new-to-me" bike so I know the full condition & know it has been set up properly.
Good luck!

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
I know this was from 2014 but what fixed the issue? I’m having the same problem cheers
Likely to be misadjusted cable free play, carb sync, vacuum leak, dirty carbs or all the above

How many miles on your bike, what model and year of bike and what is the maintenance history?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts